Taiwanese/Foreigner with Taiwanese roots who moved to Taiwan because of COVID?

Hello there :slight_smile: I am a research assistant at NTU and we are currently looking for some testomonies of Taiwanese or Foreigner with Taiwanese roots who moved to Taiwan because of COVID.

If you are one of these people, that would be amazing if you could share your experience here! (reasons for coming, what were you doing in Taiwan during the pandemic, feelings about Taiwan after moving, did you stay or left after the pandemic…)

Thank you so much your replies would be super helpful for us!

3 Likes

Look into Taiwan’s Gold Card

2 Likes

Too late they all left already

Seriously good luck with your study.

4 Likes

If it counts for anything, I delayed applying for dual citizenship and all that good stuff because of COVID; it was a hassle since even California, the strictest state, relaxed almost all of their rules, yet Taiwan didn’t seem to relent and everything was still a huge pain in the ass; even when I visited for CNY 2023 they still had mask mandates when I haven’t seen anywhere with a mandate for a year (my last job was 100% travel so I’m speaking from firsthand experience).

2 Likes

Came to Taiwan because of covid? Are you pulling my leg?

No, i left Taiwan and couldn’t get back in for 2 years because of covid. My girlfriend really loved that.

Then when i came back, despite normalcy returning back home some time ago, i still needed to pay a ton of money for a quarantine hotel here, then wear masks for like another year, in spite of there being zero evidence they actually make a negligible difference. And people are still wearing them.

My feelings about Taiwan changed considerably after Covid. Government wise and people wise. And hopes for the future.

7 Likes

I think they mean to get away from Covid.

1 Like

Anyone with an ARC ir ID could enter there were no restrictions for residents.
Resident visa’s were still being granted.

1 Like

I didn’t have one… obviously. Though i was happy to apply for a student visa and ARC for studying Chinese to get in to Taiwan. Yea i had to wait until 2022 for that one, and as i said, pay a large sum of money for a quarantine hotel.

Sorry I’m not a native English speaker!! I didn’t mean to say it in a negative way!! I indeed meant get away from covid.

Thank you for sharing your experience, it is useful to us!

Steve Chen is still here

Well i’m sorry its not what you want to hear but the way Taiwan dealt with covid was a negative for me, and a lot of others.

You are several years too late if you are planning some pro Taiwan covid propaganda, you missed the boat on that one by a few years. I suggest changing the subject to something else more palatable.

I am sorry to hear that you had a bad experience with how covid was handled in Taiwan. Your thoughts are very interesting for us and we are collecting all the testimonies, whether there are positive or not. So thank you for letting me know about your point of view :slight_smile:

We are indeed finishing this research a few years after the main covid outbreak, but it takes time to conduct a research, and in most cases you need several years to conduct a research to its end and publish it. So I hope you understand why I am still asking about this topic now :slight_smile:

Some countries even locked out their own citizens from returning. You were a non resident and nearly every country in the world stopped non residents from entering. Yes many non residents complained that from March 2020 they could not enter Taiwan. Some of them were complaining they lost their jobs in Taiwan lol Quarantine was common in lot’s of countries and two week quarantines were normal. The BBC did an interview with some British who claimed it was like being in prison. When it was found out they had a nice place with good views the article was pulled.

1 Like

Whoops! There’s a paywall on that FocusTaiwan link

Here is the archived version
https://archive.is/CeRho

From the article:

According to Chu, individuals, whether Taiwanese or foreign nationals, subject to home isolation or home quarantine for 14 days to prevent the spread of the coronavirus are entitled to monetary compensation [NT$ 1,000 per day] for the constraints on their movements.

I don’t remember that!!

Yes they even treated foreign tourists to the NT$1k a day compensation.

Wish I knew about the whole compensation thing; that’d pay for my quarantine hotel! The cheapest one I found was $800 a day in the Taipei area, and another reason I didn’t come here is because I didn’t want to pay money to be essentially incarcerated.

1 Like

Good luck.

They came and left.

1 Like

Yes I understand you want to make some pro Taiwan covid propaganda, pretty obvious. I’m just saying you missed the boat, the sentiment changed on that one a long time ago.

@satteliteTV
Yes covid was a shitshow all round, no doubt. But most places moved on a lot faster than Taiwan did. Taiwan got some positive PR about it in beginning and kept trying to hold on to that glory - and as you can see from the OP some are still trying to hold on to that. Let it go guys, that positive turned into a negative several years back already.

1 Like

Most users here are rather based in Taiwan. There was a influx of oversees Taiwanese who came to Taiwan for a while to escape lock downs elsewhere, but they mostly left a long time ago.

1 Like