Taiwanese Indigenous People - Color Photos from the Japanese Era

I was on Youtube and happened to stumble across this video with a slide show of Japanese era color pictures of various Taiwanese indigenous peoples.

youtube.com/watch?v=seClSNjnLdU

Sorry to not embed the link/video directly into this post, but the picture that shows up in the youtube player is a little NSFW (shows a topless woman) and I have an embarrassing prudishness at times.

Gotta say the color photos from the era really give a modern feel to a time that feels long ago in so many ways when you just see it in B&W.

2.04 = quite awesome.

And in the whole vid, not a single smartphone was to be had. How boring life must have been back then without Candy Crush :uhhuh:.

some photo’s color seems like they are added by hand for the purpose of having a colored postcard. I think back in those days it’s a pretty common practise, I’ve seen many old postcards in Europe that does the same thing. However, it would mean for those photos the colors are probably not what they were originally.

part two of the video

youtube.com/watch?v=N2HNL52B4TQ

[quote=“Nuit”]2.04 = quite awesome.

And in the whole vid, not a single smartphone was to be had. How boring life must have been back then without Candy Crush :uhhuh:.[/quote]

but they had portable games throughout the pictures, it comes in the shape of a curvy crescent. The game I believe is called chop chop.

[quote=“Zhengzhou2010”]I was on Youtube and happened to stumble across this video with a slide show of Japanese era color pictures of various Taiwanese indigenous peoples.

Sorry to not embed the link/video directly into this post, but the picture that shows up in the youtube player is a little NSFW (shows a topless woman) and I have an embarrassing prudishness at times.

Gotta say the color photos from the era really give a modern feel to a time that feels long ago in so many ways when you just see it in B&W.[/quote]

Great photos, just as an aside the quality of their hand-made clothes, the colors and designs, far surpasses what I’ve seen by modern day aborigines. Both men and women dressed up very colorfully.Maybe Tommy is right about the hand coloring, but the designs themselves are quite complex and masterful.
The woman who is tattooing the boy, what an interesting design she’s wearing. And some of the men have a kind of cross hatched design I haven’t seen before.

I’ve also seen the postcard before with what is a foreign sailor I believe.

Very interesting, thanks for posting!

[quote=“headhonchoII”][quote=“Zhengzhou2010”]I was on Youtube and happened to stumble across this video with a slide show of Japanese era color pictures of various Taiwanese indigenous peoples.

Gotta say the color photos from the era really give a modern feel to a time that feels long ago in so many ways when you just see it in B&W.[/quote]

Great photos, just as an aside the quality of their hand-made clothes, the colors and designs, far surpasses what I’ve seen by modern day aborigines. Both men and women dressed up very colorfully.Maybe Tommy is right about the hand coloring, but the designs themselves are quite complex and masterful.
The woman who is tattooing the boy, what an interesting design she’s wearing. And some of the men have a kind of cross hatched design I haven’t seen before.

I’ve also seen the postcard before with what is a foreign sailor I believe.[/quote]

I’ve always wondered about the historic clothing of Taiwanese aboriginals as well as other Taiwanese, and also of people in China. While I never thought about design and quality, I’ve always wondered about the “color” in the sense that whenever I see photos of modern aboriginals in traditional attire, or modern versions of traditional Han Taiwanese and Han Chinese clothes (such as in period dramas), I’m always struck by how bright the colors are. It always struck as artificial, or a modern flourish. Given that the many of the photos in the link are likely “colored”, I guess I won’t know for certain, but it would appear that the colorist for the photos at least felt that the actual colors of the clothes were quite bright.

The postcards have been colored, and yet it does look like a wide range of colors and designs were used back then, more so than now actually.
They weaved their own clothes and seemed to be very skilled from these pictures in design. It would be interesting to know what dyes they used, indigo was produced in Taiwan at the time to give the blues and purples, wonder what the reds were produced from.