Taiwanese Kavalan whiskey beats the Scots own

Yes. Liquids Rule | Transportation Security Administration

2 Likes

Good question, and I have the same one, except for Canada.

For buying Kavalan itself: I’m not sure how price per ounce works, but last year I noticed Taoyuan airport does specifically sell 1L bottles (i.e. the duty free max), whereas elsewhere in Taiwan you’re almost always going to see 750mL bottles.

EDIT:

Maybe I’m reading it wrong, but does that link say anything about what happens if you get on a domestic flight within the US with duty-free bought overseas? It talks about traveling to the United States, but it’s not clear to me if it also refers to within the United States.

EDIT 2: Based on quick internet research, I’m reading conflicting accounts. Some say you can carry the duty-free with you on further domestic flights, some say you can’t. It seems to partly depend on the packaging and if the original retailer uses the correct internationally accepted style of sealed bag (e.g. a bottle of Liberian rum that got confiscated). However, in many cases you’ll also be collecting your luggage upon arrival in Canada / the US, and many suggest putting the duty-free liquor in your suitcase at that point, for checked luggage in the next flight.

1 Like

Read the first bullet point again:

The duty free liquids were purchased internationally and you are traveling to the United States with a connecting flight.

I did read it again. It remains unclear to me, because of traveling to the United States. So if I fly from Taipei to Narita, and then to Seattle, I’m flying to the United States with a connecting flight. To me that sentence doesn’t necessarily say anything about flights arriving and departing within the United States. If it said “you are traveling within the United States on a further connecting flight”, sure.

Follow-up with specifics for Canada: if you’ve got the right security bag, carry-on for duty-free bought elsewhere is allowed. Depending on what kind of connections and layovers you’ve got, the 48 hour limit could be an issue as well. A few relevant quotes:

Since January 31, 2014, the Canadian Air Transport Security Authority accepts, subject to screening, duty-free liquids, aerosols and gels purchased from any airline or airport retailer that are properly sealed in official security bags and accompanied by an itemized receipt.

You may be asked to surrender your duty-free purchases if:

• either the bag or the product within does not pass required security screening;
  • the retailer did not use an official security bag;
  • the clerk improperly packaged your purchases at the point of sale or did not include an itemized receipt;
  • you opened the bag yourself after making the purchase and before screening; or
  • more than 48 hours have passed since you made the purchase (official security bags are only valid for two calendar days).

Official Security Bags

Duty-free bag

These are sealed clear plastic bags with special security features that hold goods purchased from airline or airport retailers after security screening. They are designed to make it easier for you to carry liquids, aerosols and gels through screening.

Official security bags are used in several—but not all—countries around the world. Wherever you travel, check first to make sure your bag has the security features shown in the image here – typically a checkmark and arrow in a circle as well as a red border - when you make your purchase. If it doesn’t, it will be rejected.

https://www.catsa-acsta.gc.ca/en/duty-free-purchases#

Wifey told me it was 7600nt so that’s way more than 200 bucks
It’s ok gonna drink it
Next time I have to specify 100 dollar limit

Apparently can be had in the UK for as little as 350 dollars but here in the USA it retails for 500 to 700 for a 750cc bottle which is what I have

Insane prices really

250 bucks in Taiwan is insane too

1 Like

Depends on the country. I recently flew to Australia and brought in 2 bottles of Kavalan for my son. You are allowed 2.25 litres

1 Like

Sounds like up to 5 L of alcohol may be brought as carry on into the country, but you may be subject to tax on the items above the 1 L

It must be in original packaging and properly sealed bag

The bottle I got was as such

2 Likes

At some point perhaps this should be separated off into its own thread … it had never occurred to me to go over 1L before: it seems like doing so risks huge bureaucratic hassles, but not much in the way of financial costs. Lots of sites talk about how you’ll need to pay import taxes, and most of them unhelpfully tell you to look elsewhere for how much that’d cost. The rules also vary by the state. The below is for the USA, and I have no idea what’d happen for Canada. Note it’s also about liquor mostly in checked luggage, rather than carry-on.

I do NOT know if this is the right page for random people bringing liquor into the country, but here says it USD$2.70 per proof gallon (so roughly USD$0.60 per litre of 50% alcohol spirits?!).

This page is from “cocktailwonk” in 2017: they report an hour+ delay at the land border from Canada into the US (specifically BC into Washington), with six bottles of liquor, knowing they were over the duty-free limit and fully willing to pay the duties, whatever they turned out to be. They had to eventually pay USD$6.40 for an extra three bottles of 750mL each, around $2.13 per bottle. They also report a different time entering an airport with tons extra, and the customs agent eventually decided not to bother, presumably due to the hassle.

But bringing in over the duty free limit is still not something should inflict on anyone other than yourself!

1 Like

Nobody cares what you carry on a plane on a domestic flight, connection or not, tamper proof besealed or not. It’s going through security that’s the issue. So, if you have to re-clear at security, you’re going to have an issue; if you stay secure side, you’re golden.

2 Likes

Agree somehow I thought 2 bottles were duty free guess not

I would not ask anyone to go over the free limit

For myself I may bring in two bottles and may be subject to import tax but would expect that to be not much but may entail extra time spent at customs so yes will not ask anyone going forward to bring more than one bottle of max 1000 cc

Next time get solist series around 100 USD

3 Likes

FAIK

Kavalan more pricey solist are in no particular order And pardon me if I missed one or two

Amontillado
PX
Manzanilla
Fino

Less expensive but still Solist series

Vinho barrique
Ex oloroso sherry
Ex bourbon
Port
Peated

Then there are the cheaper non Solist series

I bought tiny bottles of vinho and ex oloroso and ex bourbon and didn’t buy the fino as they only had big bottles in 2012 for 5000 nt too much for me

My wife got me a 90 dollar bottle at narita earlier this year of oloroso sherry

I enjoyed them
I was hoping for another 90 dollar oloroso or vinho or ex bourbon Solist

Guess her friend found two bottles exceed the duty free and since she got 200 from me went and got a 250 bottle of manzanilla

Which is reasonable at 250 as it’s one of their ultra premium whiskeys one of the ones that comes in a wooden presentation box and it’s 500 to 700 stateside

I’d like to try them all but I don’t want to pay a kings ransom

If only they had them all in tiny bottles for us mere salarymen to try

3 Likes

And I do have to clear security in YVR (and possibly at Narita as well), so that’s what I’m trying to figure out. It sounds like those magic security bags, which TPE duty free likely but doesn’t necessarily use, are the key.

In YVR I’ll probably have to claim and then recheck my luggage anyway, so I can put booze in the suitcase then.

Sounds like buying at the distillery and checking them in your baggage may be the way to go so long as your suitcase is very strong rigid type I think But you won’t be able to take them into the secure area if you hand carry.

You may not get the selection you want at duty free at CKS but if you want to hand carry you have no choice

Wives friend said she only found the manzanilla and nothing else at the stand said maybe another stand far away may have more

You need to visit the distillery for that.

1 Like

Was there in 2012 and they had most everything except FINO

Maybe all are available now

Need to get a bud to go and collect one of each for me to have someone else carry In checked baggage for me

I don’t want to travel until I retire and can spend time there

Perhaps looking at this the wrong way? You simply just need 20 friends to bother… :slight_smile:

1 Like

Well if I do a Taiwan trip I’m def going to the distillery again and buying a good amount of tiny bottles hopefully can get all the expressions or most of them

Then checking them in for the flight back

Maybe two tiny bottles each type I can find

Me thinks in the spirit of the action that as long as you don’t leave the sterile area of an airport you should be able to continue with that hand carry

But if you did and had to be allowed back into a sterile that is after inspection area you would have it confiscated