Taiwanese Kavalan whiskey beats the Scots own

[quote=“sandman”][quote=“bismarck”]I asked about this Taiwanese whiskey at the local whiskey store (those hole in the wall stores that sell nothing but whiskey) and the owner and his assistant gave me this odd look and said exactly three syllables, “很難喝”…
:roflmao:[/quote]
All that tells me is that they probably shouldn’t be trying to pass themselves off as knowing diddly-squat about whisky. :unamused:
It doesn’t taste bad at all. Its grossly overpriced for what it is, but is certainly is VERY far from “很難喝” They’re just a couple of ignorant hicks with no clue what they’re talking about.[/quote]Yup. It’s perfectly drinkable, if on the sweet side. Not worth the money, but far from 難喝.

Its worth mentioning that Kavalan markets 3 different Scotch products. The ‘green bottle’ whisky s but one of their offerings.

[quote=“sandman”][quote=“bismarck”]I asked about this Taiwanese whiskey at the local whiskey store (those hole in the wall stores that sell nothing but whiskey) and the owner and his assistant gave me this odd look and said exactly three syllables, “很難喝”…
All that tells me is that they probably shouldn’t be trying to pass themselves off as knowing diddly-squat about whisky. :unamused:
It doesn’t taste bad at all. Its grossly overpriced for what it is, but is certainly is VERY far from “很難喝” They’re just a couple of ignorant hicks with no clue what they’re talking about.[/quote]
Perhaps, but if you considered what else they had available in the store then by comparison they were probably not far off.

[quote=“bismarck”][quote=“sandman”][quote=“bismarck”]I asked about this Taiwanese whiskey at the local whiskey store (those hole in the wall stores that sell nothing but whiskey) and the owner and his assistant gave me this odd look and said exactly three syllables, “很難喝”…
It doesn’t taste bad at all. Its grossly overpriced for what it is, but is certainly is VERY far from “很難喝” They’re just a couple of ignorant hicks with no clue what they’re talking about.[/quote]
Perhaps, but if you considered what else they had available in the store then by comparison they were probably not far off.[/quote]
There’s a very good reason why these super-expensive whiskies are fobbed off on the Asian market, while nobody in their right mind would buy them in Scotland, Europe or even the States. And it 'AINT about the taste. :wink: As I said, easily hoodwinked with slick marketing, a bit of fancy packaging and an astronomical price tag.
My wife has interviewed several of these whisky “brand ambassadors” in the last couple of years. Oh, the stories I could tell about selling fancy hooch to the Taiwanese! :laughing:

[quote=“sandman”][quote=“bismarck”][quote=“sandman”][quote=“bismarck”]I asked about this Taiwanese whiskey at the local whiskey store (those hole in the wall stores that sell nothing but whiskey) and the owner and his assistant gave me this odd look and said exactly three syllables, “很難喝”…
Perhaps, but if you considered what else they had available in the store then by comparison they were probably not far off.[/quote]
There’s a very good reason why these super-expensive whiskies are fobbed off on the Asian market, while nobody in their right mind would buy them in Scotland, Europe or even the States. And it 'AINT about the taste. :wink: As I said, easily hoodwinked with slick marketing, a bit of fancy packaging and an astronomical price tag.
My wife has interviewed several of these whisky “brand ambassadors” in the last couple of years. Oh, the stories I could tell about selling fancy hooch to the Taiwanese! :laughing:[/quote]
TBH, I know bugger all about whiskey and wont pretend I do. Most of it tastes pretty much the same to me (sure sure, there are differences), especially after a few glasses. I would never pay more than NT$1000 for a bottle. 12 year olds are about my limit, I reckon. I like Glenfiddich, Dimple etc… The usual. But I’ve had el cheapo Macallan that I thought was ok, also.
If someone has a bottle of something or other and wants to convince me of it’s taste etc, I’d share a glass or two and listen intently. But I don’t think I have a sophisticated enough palate. I do know what causes a headache the next morning and what doesn’t though…

Edit: What would you consider (recommend) as a decent whiskey?

[quote=“bismarck”][quote=“sandman”][quote=“bismarck”][quote=“sandman”][quote=“bismarck”]I asked about this Taiwanese whiskey at the local whiskey store (those hole in the wall stores that sell nothing but whiskey) and the owner and his assistant gave me this odd look and said exactly three syllables, “很難喝”…
My wife has interviewed several of these whisky “brand ambassadors” in the last couple of years. Oh, the stories I could tell about selling fancy hooch to the Taiwanese! :laughing:[/quote]
TBH, I know bugger all about whiskey and wont pretend I do. Most of it tastes pretty much the same to me (sure sure, there are differences), especially after a few glasses. I would never pay more than NT$1000 for a bottle. 12 year olds are about my limit, I reckon. I like Glenfiddich, Dimple etc… The usual. But I’ve had el cheapo Macallan that I thought was ok, also.
If someone has a bottle of something or other and wants to convince me of it’s taste etc, I’d share a glass or two and listen intently. But I don’t think I have a sophisticated enough palate. I do know what causes a headache the next morning and what doesn’t though…

Edit: What would you consider (recommend) as a decent whiskey?[/quote]
Out of those ones you mention? No question in my mind at all. The Macallan stands head, shoulders, knees and toes above the rest. That’s what I’d probably buy from the offie back in Kingussie. Never heard it described as el cheapo, though. Its about NT$1200 for the 12-year-old, AFAIK.

I’ve got Family Mart vouchers that I need to use before they expire. They have the Glenfiddich 12 yr old single malt for about 1,000NT. I should get that. I think I will get that.

:blush: Piesay and all that. The el cheapo Macallan I was referring to was the dodgy one you can buy that doesn’t even have a year on it (automatically 4 year old then, right?). Still, tastes fine to me. And yes, the 12 year old NT$1200 bottle aint half bad! :lick:

So you say Macallan carries the Sandman Scottish seal of approval then?

:blush: Piesay and all that. The el cheapo Macallan I was referring to was the dodgy one you can buy that doesn’t even have a year on it (automatically 4 year old then, right?). Still, tastes fine to me. And yes, the 12 year old NT$1200 bottle aint half bad! :lick:

So you say Macallan carries the Sandman Scottish seal of approval then?[/quote]
Honest to god, it is a very fine drop. (Although… I have bought 10 year old Morangie out of Carrefour that was NT$888 that would give it a very good run for its money. That shit is EXPENSIVE in Scotland.) The 16 men of Tain and all that. Google it.
And also, if its The Macallan with no date on it, then it was probably made in Shenzen. Just sayin’ is all.

What’s the name of that place over the road from Carnagie’s? Wee place that I always play poker at. They have the whole gamut of Macallan’s. Jimi gives that whisky :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: .

[quote=“sandman”](Although… I have bought 10 year old Morangie out of Carrefour that was NT$888 that would give it a very good run for its money. That shit is EXPENSIVE in Scotland.) The 16 men of Tain and all that. Google it.
[/quote]

You’re paying too much if you mean lately. I been paying $600.

Funny it’s more back home? Prices in the states are higher too. nice to know something is cheaper here.

Yup justa cupla country boys ala yuanlin with 65 million bucks burning a huge hole in their pockets :slight_smile:

The New York Times on Kavalan: In Taiwan, a Bit of Scotland Matures. The article also notes that Taiwan Tobacco & Liquor is also getting into the whisky biz, with bottles scheduled to reach store shelves in about a year.

Some Macallan’s ages and certainly JW Blue Label are two brands I have taken home to the UK sold, and made money from. Certain bottles being classified as export only.
Many brands manufacture new names for single malt which nobody in Scotland has ever heard of.
I am no expert, only buying on order. However, my friends tell me that
there are only so many true single malts. The blends make up the market being sold under such psuedo Scottish names in Asia to be laughable.

Sandman must list these!

What next?
Loch Damshui?

Ideally, Mr. Chang hopes more people in Taiwan and on the mainland learn to savor whisky, rather than gulping it down at banquets to choruses of “Gan bei!” — Mandarin for “Bottoms up!”

:roflmao:

Bought a giftpack at the local asian super here in the east bay a while ago. a 750cc bottle of chivas 12 year old with two whiskey glasses for 19.95 plus tax. Good deal.

Was surprised Japan Airlines served this whiskey even in their economy class last year on my flight to taiwan.

99 Ranch at the Pacific East Mall, by any chance? :thumbsup:

99 Ranch at the Pacific East Mall, by any chance? :thumbsup:[/quote]

99 ranch in concord, you are half right :slight_smile:

i went and got some pickled cucumbers and some canned mackerel as well as dried powdered shintungyang salmon meat for my congee tomorrow (all made in taiwan). they even carry sarsaparilla (but i wish they would carry the regular heysong seven up look alike as well) and apple sidra !

p.s. probably just me, but this chivas for the us market seems slightly more watery then the chivas i had in taiwan. Probalby just me.

A few months ago, I picked up a couple bottles of Chivas 12. NT$2000 for each 3L with a metal-frame stand which is pretty awkward to use. Chivas is OK, lacking in character, but just right with spicy hotpot.

Was at a spirit importer two days ago , adjacent building to my office. Sampled some higher priced scotch. Two types of Glenlivet Nadura 16 year, not bad but doesn’t feel willing to pay the price. There was also Wilson & Morgan, by Mortlack and Glenlivet. Again, the price tag made me hesitate. The favorite scotch I got from this guy was Macallan 10yrs Cask Strength. Unfortunately, they no longer stock it. As a comparison, we tried the Kavalan. Wouldn’t say it’s awful. But, definitely not worth the NT$2000+ they are asking for. NT$500 would be more reasonable.

NO doubt ,its not worth 2000. But I wonder if maybe they are doing this for several reasons:

1. asians tend to think expensive = good
  2. make money
  3. ensure plenty gets put away for storage, otherwise their whiskey will always be only 3 years old.

yeah chivas is over-rated. I think OLD PARR is better and a bit cheaper. Cant find it here in Calif but in Taiwan I liked it.