Taiwanese Making Fun of Foreigners in Chinese

Weird indeed… I can’t really relate to so much of this. When I open my mouth and speak mandarin, people hardly ever say anything back in English at least.

Mocking? Well once when I was still doing finance, then well… I managed to standin an elevator with 2 other caucasian males. A couple of office girls started to discuss us 3 foreigners… I was the only one speaking Chinese, but preferred keeping a poker face, as they were discussing if my Canadian colleague was sexy or just fat… Interesting indeed. should have turned around and said thanks for the nice words in chinese when leaving, but was too concentrated on keeping a smile off my face…

The frustration of non-mandarin speakers was felt by me recently, when I tried to park my car in Sanxia. The elderly lady who looked after the parking lot spoke zero mandarin… Arrghhhh. I managed to pay in the end, with the help of my mate’s Taiwanese missus.

I love taking a little dig at the youngsters who can’t help but stare out from behind their mommy/daddy’s legs in dumbstruck awe and say ‘weiguoren! weiguoren!’

All it takes from me is a ‘taiwanren! taiwanren!’ whilst pointing firmly at them to silence them, and in one case cause a swelling of tears from a shell-shocked scrubber!

It’s those little moments in life that make it all the sweeter…

Congratulations, you made a little kid cry. I hope that does make it “sweeter” for you.

I used to speak the Queen’s english and have cut-glass vowels when I first came to the UK and was adjusting from the trans-atlantic American/Brit hybrid.

These days I have a hard Northern a’s and speak Chinese with an English accent, which some Taiwaners find ‘musical’, which is a nice way of saying ‘bad’, haha.

Oh for gods sake. :unamused:

Here’s a light hearted story about locals making fun of foreigners:
My name in Chinese characters is 史帝芬 or shi3 di4 fen1. My elementary aged students with their active imaginations, and warped sense of humour, one day made a subtle yet detectible pronunciation change to 屎地糞 shi3 di4 fen4. They really only changed the tone on the final sound to change the meaning from a transliteration of ‘Steven’ to something like ‘poo-poo ground poo-poo’. Of course, they did this because they knew I would get it. It’s one of many silly pranks and jokes we play on each other.

hey Satellite TV, your post was darn funny. I just read it now and that’s gotta be the bomb.
I definately refrain from saying anything negative about any foreigners as you cannot assume that they will not understand Chinese. Back in high school, I was studying in a school for foreingers that want to learn Chinese and heck, they could speak/write just as well as any Chinese student. But I understand why many people will assume that. It’s just that foreigners that speak Chinese are so rare. It’s as simple as that.
And it just makes scaring kids that much easier. You know these brats here need it. Darn hard to get them to shut up b/c their parents won’t.
Hahaha
Man, do I long for those corporal punishment days. Hahaha (JOKING!)

[quote=“kellohitty”]hey Satellite TV, your post was darn funny. I just read it now and that’s gotta be the bomb.
I definately refrain from saying anything negative about any foreigners as you cannot assume that they will not understand Chinese. Back in high school, I was studying in a school for foreingers that want to learn Chinese and heck, they could speak/write just as well as any Chinese student. But I understand why many people will assume that. It’s just that foreigners that speak Chinese are so rare. It’s as simple as that.
And it just makes scaring kids that much easier. You know these brats here need it. Darn hard to get them to shut up b/c their parents won’t.
Hahaha
Man, do I long for those corporal punishment days. Hahaha (JOKING!)[/quote]

Actually I know a lot of foreigners who speak Chinese… but often they won’t unless it’s really required. On the other hand one of my best friends who has been here 11 years speaks almost none.

Still ya got to be careful… I went with Hexuan and another friend to Carnegies for lunch… I heard the waitress speaking Chinese with a weird accent and guessed she wan from Indonesia or Malaysia and started speaking Malay toher… she was from Indonesia and enjoyed speaking her own language for a change.

Most fun for me is Singapore… speak Malay, Mandarin and Taiyu… that really shocks the shit out of them down there lol

I regularly get strange looks even at home from Chinese-speaking folks. I used to live very near Chinatown in Seattle, and volunteered at the Chinese Refugee Association, so I was surrounded by Chinese regularly and used it often, much to the surprise of most people, Chinese and non- alike.

In the area I live in now, a bit outside the city, there are many Asian immigrants. I regularly encounter elderly Chinese ladies in grocery stores fumbling to get by and help them out whenever possible. It seems the older people are less shocked than the younger are.

Anyway, on to my funny story…

I had just began teaching a Friday night class at a buxiban in XinMenDing. The school occupied several floors of an old, shabby building, and my classroom that evening was on the 12th floor. After the first class, which consisted of a handful (ten or so) college-age women, we all packed into the rinky-dink elevator, myself being last one in the door, facing it as the elevator slowly made its way down.

All the way from the classroom to the elevator and after stepping into it, they began talking about me. Comments made about me being so white, the size of my shoes, my blonde hair, etc. After a couple minutes, I wanted to just laugh, but continued looking forward, to the doors, hiding my smirk the entire time. Immediately before we landed at the ground floor, I turned around to face them all, closely packed in together, all staring at me, as I said, “你真的覺得我太高嗎?”

They, of course, bolted immediately as the doors opened, nearly knocking me to the ground. I could hear their shreaks as they quickly ran away, faces covered and all. It was absolutely priceless! Silly of them to think that because I had been in Taiwan for only a few weeks that they’d get away with that, in a crowded elevator especially. I couldn’t let that one go. Of course, in classes following, they learned to talk in whispers or resort to using Taiwanese. :raspberry:

I remember one time I was in a bus totally full of people (262 line I think), and a group of young male school teens was just near me. My Chinese is poor, but I still heard one saying to me

I find that even with my rather limited, broken Mandarin (they don’t teach you how to say smart ass remarks in Chinese 101, 102, or 103) a simple “bu4 gan3 dang1!” (you flatter me) is enough to stop the talking when I am not too worked up to remember to say it. Or perhaps it’s my bad Mandarin that does the trick. Anyway, when I find my misplaced digital camera…well, as they say, a picture’s worth a thousand words…and I can’t wait to see the reaction on people’s faces when I snap their photos as they gawk.

I went to a breakfast bar owned by a middle-aged couple. I said to the woman (in the wrong tone I’m sure) ‘Chicken Burger’ and she said ‘eh?’ and then her husband shouted ‘He said Chicken Burger!’ Then I asked for ‘hot milk tea’. ‘Eh?’ ‘He said hot milk tea!’ She started getting them ready and asked me if I wanted them to go. The same thing happened: ‘He said to go!’ Naturally the woman assumed it was I who was stupid. As she put a straw into my little plastic bag she decided I probably don’t know how to use one. She showed me the pointed end of the straw and used exaggerated gestures to show me how to use it. I took the straw and began poking the blunt end at my milk tea with a puzzled look on my face. The woman took it off me and stuck the straw in.

Whether it was a young child, a middle aged person, or the elderly I would always respond to the “look at the big nose” with a perfectly pronounced in Mandarin, “its not ‘big nose’ its ‘big penis’.” On more than one occasion, when one of them would be dumb enough to continue the conversation, I would add with a big smile and a nod, “don’t take my word for it, go ask your mother…”

Satellite TV - I loved your story.

Nice to think about Taiwanese making fun of foreigners in Chinese or Taiwanese.

How about foreigners in Taiwan making fun of Taiwanese in English?
Any opinions?

[quote=“dargus”]Nice to think about Taiwanese making fun of foreigners in Chinese or Taiwanese.

Any opinions?[/quote]
Yes, that pisses me off too, especially when there are Taiwanese within obvious earshot… after all, a lot of Taiwanese do understand English…

[quote=“Chris”][quote=“dargus”]Nice to think about Taiwanese making fun of foreigners in Chinese or Taiwanese.

Any opinions?[/quote]
Yes, that pisses me off too, especially when there are Taiwanese within obvious earshot… after all, a lot of Taiwanese do understand English…[/quote]

What about two foreigners making fun of other foreigners in Chinese.
I’m guilty as charged…