Taiwanese manners

Ok what’s the story here. Was in class today and all of a sudden one of my students let loose with an emazingly loud fart, right next to me mind you

Nobody blinked an eyelid. I couldn’t believe it. “Get to the back of the classroom!! Do you do that in your house?” “well yeah” he innocently replied (therefore rebuffing my well drilled “well don’t do it in my house routine”) Rather than punish him, I though I’d first get the general conscencious from the others that he shouldn’t have done it. No cigar, the whole class, unpeturbed by my obvious annoyance of the situation, all claimed they’d do the same under identical circumstances

FOOTNOTE: His name - Happy, but I guaretee, nobody was smiling.

Now I’m no grouch and more than anybody love to have a joke, but letting rip in a public place pushes the limit.

It got me thinking of one time I was at my fiancees parents house. Her old man was on the phone deeply in conversation, then slam bam thankyou mam, he skillfully tuned out one of the most composed of musicly sounding farts I’d ever heard. It’s possible that some in the more Southern of parts in Taiwan heard something that day. It went on for a good minute, and in doing he didn’t drop a word of conversation. A masterful feat by any a man. I didn’t want to appear “rude” by laughing, caughing or even choking, so I sat there in silence, holding my breath for dear life, a pretty hard feat when only a meter or so away. It was like trying not to laugh in church. Ever tried that?

Is this a culture thing, I know everbody passes wind, but timing is paramount yeah. The kids are claiming “it’s natural”, yeah I’ll give you natural ‘pop quiz, take out your books’

Perhaps this topic could touch on all mannerism differences. I know passing wind is just one of many. Any interesting stories? Surely I’m not the only one to come across this.

I have been at two (different) interviews where the person (boss) conducting the interview farted whilst talking to me !!! Needless to say, I was shocked to the bone and I blushed on their behalf … Same with burbping … and spitting … and coughing up phlem and spatting it out on your feet …

Disgusting …

I don’t mind farting. My family never had a problem with it, that’s for sure.
You didn’t mention if it was a stinkbomb, amos. Those musical ones are typically less stinky than the silent ones, I’ve learned.

When people are groping themselves while youre speaking with them, that I find rather unpleasant!! Or peeing on toilet seats.

In general I think the locals are less worried about hygiene on all levels (public/personal/etc) which I find rather sickening.

quote:
Originally posted by Alien: When people are groping themselves while youre speaking with them, that I find rather unpleasant!!

I didn’t know you were augmenting your wages with
phone sex chatlines, Alien!

(Hides under his desk)

quote:
Originally posted by Alien: I don't mind farting. My family never had a problem with it, that's for sure.
I can just imagine Thanksgiving Dinner at Alien's Lao Jia. Dinner with the Klumps! [img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Since the sense of smell and the sense of taste are closely linked, basically everytime somebody drops a rose and you smell it, you’re eating their shit. While that might be ok in some households, it wouldn’t fly in mine. I think farting and burping (accidents exempted) are signs of boorishness. Women do it less than men, although the burping up thing I witness almost as much among women here. I think there is an element of control that people are choosing not to exercise. Nobody would do it in a job interview, or whilst talking with a VIP, so to do it in one’s presence is just a sign of disrespect. Talk about familiarity breeding contempt!

Errr … go here and TURN UP THE SPEAKERS !!

Lotsa fun eh ?

How’s the form here, same kid, different day. This time he ralphed out an eardeafening burp. I could only laugh in disbelief as I collapsed to the floor to ponder ‘what the hell is going on’. As I look forward to tomorrow, I’ve set the following ‘classbook’ odds :

• 25-1 he’ll be chewing beetle nut in my class
  • 10-1 he’ll release another room clearer
  • 3-1 back to back burps
  • even money he’ll go the pick
  • 1-2 he’ll find another way to annoy me

Ohh Yes, some things from the mainland have exported well to Taiwan.

One of my engineers, used to sit in meetings with a pencil up his nose, removing bogeys the size of …well…really big bogeys. he would then taste them, often swallowing. Occasionaly he would have a length of gooey string still attached to his nose, dripping on to the table. Nobody flinched.

P.S Bogeys is an common UK expression, I hope it is fully understood by all the Yanks,Canadians and others that frequent this forum.

P.P.S A Joke

A old lady of 99 finally can’t manage on her own anymore. Her family decide to move her to an Old people home. Being very old the family reminded the care staff that she would often drift in and out of sleep during the day.

The day she arrived, they put her in the Sun room, with a view over the sea. The two care workers then saw her tip to the left, “oh my god she’s going to fall” one of them said, and they sat her upright again.
Then she tipped to the right and within seconds they righted her back to the upright position.
Later that day her family visited with her, to see how she was settling in.

“what do you think of your new place dear”, said her daughter.
“I don’t like it, they won’t even let me fart”

quote:
Originally posted by subway52: P.S Bogeys is an common UK expression, I hope it is fully understood by all the Yanks,Canadians and others that frequent this forum.

Neither Americans or Canadians would ever lower ourselves to use the term “boogeys”…well, maybe Californians would.

quote[quote]Bogeys is an common UK expression, I hope it is fully understood by all the Yanks,Canadians and others that frequent this forum [/quote]

I suppose those yanks who’ve not had the pleasure to discuss nasal accumulation with Brits have at least read “Harry Potter”.
Bogey Flavoured Bertie Bott’s Every Flavour Beans…

Curious, what does the average yank call a boogy? The hardened variety I mean. Boogey is a dance variety yeah, pretty sure no (e).

Amos, I can’t speak for the Yanks, but Canucks are familiar with the word “Booger”. My school district was, at any rate.

In America they are boogers.

They tried to fart on me in this pose, but I was hip to the scheme.
http://jidanni.org/me/200204linuxer/images/4.jpg Anyways, when in Rome
do as the Romans, so I will let my farts come out of the closet.
Unfortunately toothpick operating procedures are more conservative
here… Sorry. I cannot post further on these subjects as it would
endanger my slick technical image.

I love the fact that when I’m teaching (buxiban, small class no Chiense teacher) I can just fart and pick away as I see fit, and none of the kids care in the slightest - they’re doing it too.

• 25-1 he’ll be chewing beetle nut in my class
  • 10-1 he’ll release another room clearer
  • 3-1 back to back burps
  • even money he’ll go the pick
  • 1-2 he’ll find another way to annoy me

OK, not money taken, none paid out. But Happy did come in today sporting a shaven head, so now we call him ‘Buddah’, hahaha. Must be after attention.

We no call it booga … we call it …

S N O T ! !