Taiwanese Masters Degree VS American

[quote=“Stian”]
I think you will find the average level off education far higher in Europe or australia then the US.[/quote]

That certainly explains WWI, WWII and Bosnia. Pure genius at work, I guess.

[quote=“Doctor Evil”][quote=“Stian”]
I think you will find the average level off education far higher in Europe or australia then the US.[/quote]

That certainly explains WWI, WWII and Bosnia. Pure genius at work, I guess.[/quote]

Whereas your post … :unamused:

Wait - weren’t we talking abotu school?
Forumosa is always off topic - lol

[quote=“Stray Dog”][quote=“Doctor Evil”][quote=“Stian”]

That certainly explains WWI, WWII and Bosnia. Pure genius at work, I guess.[/quote]

Whereas your post … :unamused:[/quote]

Is a much needed reality slap expressed in few words. :laughing:

[quote=“Stian”][quote=“Quentin”]The U.S. has the best universities in the world. Your question is a no-brainer. Why are you even asking it? Just to confirm what you and everybody else already knows?
[/quote]

The americans asume so, but I think it’s wrong.

If you look at the top 100 you will find 4 uneverstys from sweeden witch would mean that sweeden is far bether then the us if you compare to the population.

I guess you missed the news. The US has won 6 Nobel Prizes this year…in Chemistry, Economics, Medicine and Physics. There’s still a chance the Europeans can get one in Literature. :laughing:

nobelprize.org/nobel_prizes/lists/2006.html

Clearly those twits at FT and the Economist received poor European educations if they were so stupid as to rank US schools so highly. :laughing:

[quote=“Doctor Evil”][quote=“Stian”][quote=“Quentin”]The U.S. has the best universities in the world. Your question is a no-brainer. Why are you even asking it? Just to confirm what you and everybody else already knows?
[/quote]

The americans asume so, but I think it’s wrong.

If you look at the top 100 you will find 4 uneverstys from sweeden witch would mean that sweeden is far bether then the us if you compare to the population.

I guess you missed the news. The US has won 6 Nobel Prizes this year…in Chemistry, Economics, Medicine and Physics. There’s still a chance the Europeans can get one in Literature. :laughing:

nobelprize.org/nobel_prizes/lists/2006.html[/quote]

It was already established that the US has the best universities in the world, which would explain why the best of the best are American, and why they won 6 Nobel Prizes.

Besides of which. Taking one year of nobel prize winners is hardly a conclusive view. I checked previous years, and whilst Americans still dominate given their population, there are plenty of foreign winners.

What Stian suggested is quite correct, that the average level of education in Europe and Australia is higher, as is the average standard of living.

[quote=“Tyc00n”]
What Stian suggested is quite correct, that the average level of education in Europe and Australia is higher, as is the average standard of living.[/quote]

Well. I guess it’s settled then. [color=violet]Feelings[/color] rule.

Which is just as well, since the booze is bloody extortionate.

Which is just as well, since the booze is bloody extortionate.[/quote]

Stor Stark!

[quote="Tyc00n "]
What Stian suggested is quite correct, that the average level of education in Europe and Australia is higher, as is the average standard of living. [/quote]

Really? I’m a tad dubious on that. Any details? Last time I looked at any of this I recall Australia, by comparison with Asian neighbours and comparable peers was rather woefully under-educated. Mind you that was some time ago.

HG

Of course he doesn’t have any details, as he’s just making an assertion based on his own Eurochauvinism, not facts. It’s an easily looked up statistic that the average income for Americans is higher than that of nearly every country in Europe, with the exception of Luxembourg and a couple of other tax-dodge dots on the map.

Besides, he missed the point. I wasn’t talking about the average U.S. university or college, which are in general mediocre. I was talking about the top tier. It’s undeniable that places like Harvard and MIT lead the pack, worldwide. Poor reading skills are the result of poor education…

[quote=“Huang Guang Chen”][quote="Tyc00n "]
What Stian suggested is quite correct, that the average level of education in Europe and Australia is higher, as is the average standard of living. [/quote]

Really? I’m a tad dubious on that. Any details? Last time I looked at any of this I recall Australia, by comparison with Asian neighbours and comparable peers was rather woefully under-educated. Mind you that was some time ago.

HG[/quote]

You aren’t seriously comparing education levels in Australia with our neighbours are you? Everyone has some kind of “degree” here. The quality of engineers I’ve met in Asia is much lower than that in Australia but if you’re talking about the quantity of degrees or degrees per head of population you may be right.

Same goes for well… almost anything else. Quality of doctors here compared to back home. Not sure what the scientists here are like, but in general, R&D means reverse-engineer.

As for the quality of education, as its already been pointed out, a comparison between countries of migration based on education says it all really.

Yes, you are right. The average income for Americans is higher than nearly all of Europe and Australia. But looking purely at the average income is always going to make the US look better than countries with a more left leaning viewpoint.

You also have higher crime than most European countries, much higher costs for education, increasing difference between the rich and poor and higher costs for all things medical.

[quote=“Quentin”]
Besides, he missed the point. I wasn’t talking about the average U.S. university or college, which are in general mediocre. I was talking about the top tier. It’s undeniable that places like Harvard and MIT lead the pack, worldwide. Poor reading skills are the result of poor education…[/quote]

Can’t argue with you here.

Can’t argue with you here.

You also have to consider the world’s stereotype of Australians as a bit…ah, “under-educated” would be the polite word for it. :nyah: :beer:

So that would mean Luxembourg wins, no? :slight_smile:

That certainly doesn’t describe my current experience at a Taiwan university. :fume:[/quote]

You must go to the very best university in Taiwan. There are always exceptions to every rule. 90% of Taiwan universities and colleges are a joke. Any system where students cannot be failed because they paid their money and must pass whether or not they did the work, is a joke.[/quote]

I am not sure if I am going to the best in Taiwan, but I have been pretty impressed with the MBA program at NCTU’s Taipei branch. It has been a lot of hard work, and the teachers and classmates (of all age classes) are great, as are the facilities. It has changed a lot of my perceptions about Taiwan and the people here as well as the education system, which is pretty impressive considering how long I have been here. I was originally going to do one of the eMBA programs at T-bird or something, but am really glad I picked this.

I guess I should pass the torch. They offer a very generous scholarship to the right candidates and very flexible class hours for working students, and you can take classes at their Taipei (conveniently located near the train station) and Hsinchu campuses. They have a dedicated foreign student office as well. Most classes in Taipei are in Chinese (w/ US English textbooks), though a couple are in English. Believe me, your Chinese will improve although the first year many times it felt like having cold water thrown on my face. Assignments can be submitted in English. The deadline to apply to start next semester (starting. Feb.) is by this December. Anyone is welcome to PM me for more info.

businessweek.com/innovate/dschools/

How many people in your home country can locate Taiwan without resorting to a map?

[quote=“austin”]
How many people in your home country can locate Taiwan without resorting to a map?[/quote]

forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopi … iad#437454

BTW, how many Taiwanese can tell the difference between Ba-li, Bali and Paris? :laughing: