Taiwanese Masters Degree VS American

My friend, who is Taiwanese living in America, wanted to ask you all a question. She just graduated with a BS in Graphic Design and her goal is to move back to Taiwan eventually and get a job. She wants to know if getting a Master Degree in the US with a Design focus would be able to get her a good job in Taiwan. The alternative would be to go to grad school in Taiwan. If she did that she would be able to study a different subject other than design, maybe one that would help her get a good job in Taiwan. Another aspect is that she would like to get back to Taiwan ASAP but is worried that it would not be as good in the long run.

So will the Taiwanese appreciate an American Degree more than a Taiwanese degree? How much difference in earnings do you expect there to be between the two? Any suggestions about the situation?

Thanks!

Are you taking the piss? Universities in the Taiwan are third-world quality. Just ask Michael Turton or anyone else who’s ever had any experience in teaching in the so-called higher learning academies (snort) in Taiwan. They are a joke, as everyone knows. That’s why every Taiwanese with money sends their kids abroad to get a real education.

The U.S. has the best universities in the world. Your question is a no-brainer. Why are you even asking it? Just to confirm what you and everybody else already knows?

Seriously, ask yourself this question: would a degree from a Taiwan university be taken seriously outside of Taiwan?

Don’t think so.

Would a degree from a U.S. university be taken seriously outside of the U.S.?

Of course it would.

There you go.

OP is asking what would benefit his friend more IN TAIWAN. Clearly, many people in Taiwan place at least some value on a degree from a Taiwanese univesrity or graduate school.

So, does anyone have any information or experience with this specifically regarding the design field in Taiwan?

To the OP – has your friend considered that in the US, it is very often easy to take an MA in a completely different field? Usually only a few "make-up"courses are required. That might be an option as well, if she is really more interested in something else.

[quote=“Quentin”]Seriously, ask yourself this question: would a degree from a Taiwan university be taken seriously outside of Taiwan?

Don’t think so.[/quote]

Well thats not really the question I was asking, plus I don’t live in Taiwan so I wasn’t sure, and she has been in the US since she was 15 or something. But still what you said is important to know since she might not want to stay in Taiwan forever. She mainly wanted to know what the Taiwanese think of their own schools I guess.

[quote=“ironlady”]OP is asking what would benefit his friend more IN TAIWAN. Clearly, many people in Taiwan place at least some value on a degree from a Taiwanese univesrity or graduate school.

So, does anyone have any information or experience with this specifically regarding the design field in Taiwan?

To the OP – has your friend considered that in the US, it is very often easy to take an MA in a completely different field? Usually only a few "make-up"courses are required. That might be an option as well, if she is really more interested in something else.[/quote]

That sounds reasonable, I mean she could take some business courses here or something that might be of more use in Taiwan. Sorta sounds like she’ll have to force herself to stay here a few more years in order to be successful in Taiwan?

If she wants a business master degree consider UOP. she can take it from Taiwan and its considered a US degree. I think most taiwanese told me that degrees in Taiwan isnt reconized at all anywhere else. So you are better off with an American degree.

Thanks to its out-of-control sue-everyone culture, the United States now has a serious problem with grade inflation. As more and more schools and teachers fear lawsuits for undergrading students, a US degree is no longer perceived to be the best in the world. Check the statistics. One interesting one is that Duke University is projected to hand out A’s to all but 3 percent of its students within the next 25 years.

This ‘degrees/A’s for all’ policy is lowering the value of a US education. The US may have the best universities in the world (though I think that is a US perception), but it does not have the most valued degrees.

It’s a shame, really.

My brother-in-law came the the US from Taiwan to study design. For him, there’s no question that a US degree is better. I went to Taiwan in the first place because a lot of Taiwanese were studying at my university for a Masters in Education, as a US degree was perceived as better than one from Taiwan, and all eventually got better jobs with these degrees.

My opinion is that a Taiwanese university degree isn’t worth much anywhere, including Taiwan. My husband’s boss in Taiwan is interviewing MA’s for very low wage internship positions. Certantly, outside Taiwan, a Taiwanese degree isn’t worth a whole lot. In fact many Taiwanese are now studying in Main Land China, as those degrees are recognized in most countries in the world, just not in Taiwan. Well, they are un-officially recognized, but not formally.

So, I’d tell her to keep studying in the States. And the chances are better for her with a Master’s degree, yes. Her great English will be even more helpful, though, in my opinion, if she gets into a business field.

My $2NT.

According to The Times Higher Education Suppliment (2006):

The world’s top 200 universities

1. Harvard University

2. Cambridge University

3. Oxford University

4. Massachusetts Institute of Technology

5. Yale University

6. Stanford University

7. California Institute of Technology

8. University of California, Berkeley

9. Imperial College London

10. Princeton University

thes.co.uk/main.aspx

Edit: National Taiwan University is rated 108.

Thanks to its out-of-control sue-everyone culture, the United States now has a serious problem with grade inflation. As more and more schools and teachers fear lawsuits for undergrading students, a US degree is no longer perceived to be the best in the world. Check the statistics. One interesting one is that Duke University is projected to hand out A’s to all but 3 percent of its students within the next 25 years.

This ‘degrees/A’s for all’ policy is lowering the value of a US education. The US may have the best universities in the world (though I think that is a US perception), but it does not have the most valued degrees.

It’s a shame, really.[/quote]
Stray Dog, the shame is that grade compression is happening not just in US universities, but in universities across the developed world. The number of people getting Firsts and 2.1s at UK universities has also climbed dramatically. I believe grade compression is also a big problem in continental universities. IMO, the possibility of litigation is rarely a cause for instructors giving out unearned high marks. There aren’t many cases of students sueing, much less sueing successfully. The more common cause seems to be that top institutions have the idea that since they are ranked highly and they are selective when enrolling students, their students are obviously better than those at other, lesser universities and should thus be scoring nothing but As or Firsts and the odd B or 2.1.
The problem with many of the indicators used to rank universities is not that they are US-centric, but that they mainly measure that which is easily measured: research output. When it comes to number of papers published in peer-reviewed journals, US universities are beating the pants off of universities in the rest of the developed world. The research output of a department or university matter a lot for prospective post-grad students. I would say that for anyone looking for a place to do an MA, MPhil or PhD, research output and the right mentor are the two most important things to look at.

Doctor Evil, I stand somewhat corrected. I’m giving you an A++++++ for that.

Jive Turkey, very good point.

You both get A++++++++++. :wink:

Its not yet a problem in Australia. I remember that 90% of a class of the students a year behind me were failed for cheating. I mean FAILED which means they fork out and do the subject again, probably miss a year because of the subject was a prerequiste and have their misconduct on their final grades sheet. Their names were also publicly printed. (If I were running the uni, perhaps a public flogging would be well within in order)

You’ll never guess where they were from! :smiley:

And back to the original OP, I know plently of Taiwanese who went back to Taiwan with their overseas engineering degree. But with something like Design, (I assume u mean graphics?) I don’t know how you could perceive any kind of competition with Taiwan universities. The design of most things I’ve in this country could be considered ugly at best.

This is the list of the world’s top universities.

ed.sjtu.edu.cn/rank/2004/top500(1-100.htm

1. Harvard
  2. Stanford
  3. Cambridge
  4. Berkeley
  5. MIT
  6. Caltech
  7. Princeton
  8. Oxford
  9. Columbia
  10. University of Chicago

If someone wants to study design, the Rhode Island School of Design (called ‘risdee’) is a good place to start.

That certainly doesn’t describe my current experience at a Taiwan university. :fume:

What were the criteria for universities on those lists? Was English language one of them? I can’t help thinking non-English speaking countries might not view those unis as favorably as Canadians, Brits, or Americans.

How did they come up with those lists?

Chinese people made this list

ed.sjtu.edu.cn/rank/2004/top500

[quote]3. Is our academic ranking objective?

The quality of universities cannot be precisely measured by mere numbers. Therefore, any ranking is controversial and no ranking is absolutely objective. People should be cautious about any ranking including our Academic Ranking of World Universities.

It would be impossible to have a comprehensive ranking of universities worldwide, because of the huge differences of universities in the large variety of countries and the technical difficulties in obtaining internationally comparable data. Our ranking is using carefully selected indicators and internationally comparable data that everyone could check.[/quote]

It seems there is a bias.

But it would be hard to argue that those listed weren’t, indeed, the best in the world.

That certainly doesn’t describe my current experience at a Taiwan university. :fume:[/quote]

You must go to the very best university in Taiwan. There are always exceptions to every rule. 90% of Taiwan universities and colleges are a joke. Any system where students cannot be failed because they paid their money and must pass whether or not they did the work, is a joke.

I want an A too! :frowning:

[quote=“Quentin”]The U.S. has the best universities in the world. Your question is a no-brainer. Why are you even asking it? Just to confirm what you and everybody else already knows?
[/quote]

The americans asume so, but I think it’s wrong.

If you look at the top 100 you will find 4 uneverstys from sweeden witch would mean that sweeden is far bether then the us if you compare to the population.

I think you will find the average level off education far higher in europe or australia then the US.

Plus, Swedish chicks are gorgeous, which gives those universities the edge, if you ask me.