Taiwanese tycoon donates TWD$1B for civilian militia

Will they create a General Turton? :laughing: :laughing:

1 Like

Are they going to set up a ‘foreign legion’?

I hope not. The Carlists kicked the Abraham Lincoln brigade’s commie ass. :cowboy_hat_face: Viva Cristo Rey
Viva Cristo Rey - YouTube

$15 per person should be able to cover a lunch box, some sake, a mask, blue slippers and a white flag.

2 Likes

Ha ha ha! I call this simply a social media effect! See what happened to Ukraine - WAR is bad and should be avoided at all cost. Had Europe decoupled its energy needs or froze Russia’s foreign exchange reserves, and issued personal nongranta to Russian oligarchs much earlier it could have deterred but doing all these AFTER the war is an eye wash.

Why not we write to our respective representatives in our governments to stop doing business with the communist state instead of day dreaming to form foreign legion. Any country with Militias lead to civil war and total precipitation of that country…

I guess it’s been 2 or 3 years I’ve publicly advocated the government here distribute and require each family to keep a long gun in their homes.

They could distribute the ammo just ahead of the hostilities - previously I didn’t mention distribution of ammo but at least the guns would already in the houses. The armed would go every quarter for target practice using onsite -distributed ammo.

I’ve lived here almost 11 years now and during this time married a local and had a beautiful daughter.

Even without having lived here I would fight for the freedoms of the nation of Taiwan.

With the USA leadership so screwed up now and NATO countries not having energy to make defensive or offensive arms this is a very dangerous time. The Russians and Chinese have plenty of energy so what ever we can do we should start doing it without delay.

Distributing long guns is one item on a long list of things we should do.

3 Likes

I think this is a great idea. I suggest keeping the ammo at a local police station with 24/7 guards. People can go to the local police station in case of hostilities to pick up their ammo.

However, Taiwan’s real weakness is zero tolerance for casualties. That is also China’s biggest weakness though. That is why we had zero-covid for so long and why China still tries to hold zero-covid. Taiwan should try to shape the mentality of the Taiwanese and prepare them for some measure of (civilian) casualties in case a conflict broke out.

1 Like

Ummm, sorry to rain on your parade, but ah, what would Taiwan be without business with China? For decades the wealthy tycoons of Taiwan and China have invested in both directions to develop oodles of industry. Many aspiring bucks and gals have shipped themselves off from Taiwan to work in Shanghai, etc… So, I’d say your notion about asking other nations to stop doing business with the evil red dragon is idle fancy. Lol… It is an exercise in wishful thinking that ends up being totally blind to the inextricable dynamic of global and local commerce …

And the guy proposing this militia has probably being doing business for decades in China, too. So… Well, what’s the fighting for? It’s not over who’s paying for dinner, but who owns the restaurant… Something like that. And it’s over silly abstractions of nationality that are practically meaningless – especially in light of the actual economic dynamic between Taiwan and China and the rest of the world…

:popcorn:

You are welcome to rain on my parade but let’s accept the fact, the situation we are in is our own doing - whether it is Taiwanese businesses or Western ones.

Did we not forsee this coming? Too late to do anything now other than keeping our fingers crossed and praying for a miracle.

2 Likes

Easy money.

The Flying Tigers!

1 Like

Yup, “money” is the one that has killed our values and ethos be at the personal or national level. How many startups in Silicon Valley are funded by Saudis? On one hand we preach “free world” and “human rights” but we look the other way when it comes to business.

Every country was focused on their numbers but forgot to analyse what’s the cost it should pay! Fast forward, it is the “payday” and everyone is waking up to the reality - a belligerent China hand in hand with post crimea Russia - a relationship of convenience!

If we value “democracy”, why did we allow companies set up units and invest in the countries run by authoritarian regimes?

Job well done towards destruction.

You’re entering into a very large issue here. Assuming you wouldn’t break it down to overall “money” (although you might and that would be interesting), how would you have controlled money by country even with the benefit of hindsight?

This could be the topic of many thesis :grin: and the answer is not in a simple equation of mathematics/economics, I presume. Wish I was John…

All I am pointing here is the lack of will by the free world and the torch bearers of democracy. Hope you can see and agree with me what I am pointing out here. What prevented democracies to do business with each other?

Even in a personal relationship we tend to seek someone who shares more common grounds with us but with its own share of ups and down. That said, what intrigued me was how businesses were conducted for many decades between two different ideologies pretending that nothing is wrong and all is well - just like in a sex worker’s service (no demeaning intended).

A quick fix for the itch (numbers) with a free add on chronic disease (belligerence).

Mind you, we have forgotten about many other pressing issues in this fiasco - global climate change one among many and who knows what lies ahead of us.

Man, you must have a lot of trust in government. Ain’t TW government well known for taking tax payer’s money and put into their own pocket for many many years? It was on international news for a while.

How about getting the government to implement manageable gun control laws in Taiwan? Put guns into hands of civilian citizens that have gone through rigorous trainings to properly handle guns.

I think this Tycoon seems to know what he’s doing but government in Taiwan need to catchup and help the “civilian warriors” with common sense gun laws. Plus, it’s his own money. He can do whatever the hell he wants with it. The question is, what is the Government going to do to help him and “civilian warriors.” At least the guy is doing something about it w/ action instead of lip service.

1 Like

I could be wrong, but I believe TW had a lot of folks in the Panama Papers, especially the ones from FPG, which somewhat controls the government.

What is this? Sorry, but I am not extremely well versed in TW local politics.

Formosa Plastics–great company (worked for one of their family members)

The anti KMT muesli crowd don’t like them though