Taiwanese vs. Vietnamese food

I’ve tried a few tailors in Taiwan, none was good enough for a second visit. Instead I’m waiting for a trip to… Vietnam

2 Likes

I believe, though, that the traffic and pollution there are worse. Have never been, myself, but seems totally believable

And really, food and traffic are my primary complaints about Taiwan. Much more to like here than dislike

2 Likes

Or you just have questionable taste. :man_shrugging:

Vietnamese food is popular all over the world. Taiwanese food? Crickets…

10 Likes

Of course it’s popular all over the world. There are a ton of Vietnamese immigrants everywhere but few Taiwanese immigrants.

When I went to Hanoi I had my first proper banmi. It was sublime, and only 50NT. I also went to a French restaurant that in my opinion was two star Michelin. It was very cheap.

Loved the city, although the traffic is nucking futs. Walking across a pedestrian crossing drivers will push forward to the point where they’re nudging your legs. I didn’t particularly notice air pollution.

Egg coffee is interesting

2 Likes

It also helps that they have a world-class cuisine.

10 Likes

Taiwanese food is shit. But carry on being you.

3 Likes

You guys should reflect on what you have in common besides hating Taiwanese food. There is probably a lot and it’s not cute.

Taiwan numba wun! If you don’t agree, you’re not ke ai.

3 Likes

I quite like some Taiwanese dishes, if that counts for anything.

5 Likes

Hating bubble tea? :thinking:

2 Likes

I “quite” like some Taiwanese dishes, too, but if I had to choose between them and stuff from other countries, there’s just no competition. I’ve never eaten any FAMOUS Taiwanese food that blows me away.

1 Like

Some of the indigenous food is something else. But that requires leaving one’s house and traveling elsewhere.

3 Likes

Why on earth would I travel through shit traffic for a day to schlep up a mountain, when my wife’s in the kitchen making a delightful curry?

2 Likes

A Taiwanese curry?

Yeah, but it’s not FAMOUS! Filthy night market gunk like rotten tofu, sugary bubble tea and greasy oyster omelets are FAMOUS!

I need to drive you further south than you’ve ever been in Taiwan. Where my limey mate who’s married to an indigenous lady lives. Maybe some time.

Any examples offhand?