Taiwanese vs. Vietnamese food

Some of the indigenous food is something else. But that requires leaving one’s house and traveling elsewhere.

3 Likes

Why on earth would I travel through shit traffic for a day to schlep up a mountain, when my wife’s in the kitchen making a delightful curry?

2 Likes

A Taiwanese curry?

Yeah, but it’s not FAMOUS! Filthy night market gunk like rotten tofu, sugary bubble tea and greasy oyster omelets are FAMOUS!

I need to drive you further south than you’ve ever been in Taiwan. Where my limey mate who’s married to an indigenous lady lives. Maybe some time.

Any examples offhand?

Fried clams are cheap and cheerful. Fried frog is excellent, IMO. Then anything three cup.

Can you have a conversation like an adult?

OK, yikes. We’re not going to agree on food. :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

That’s one reason why I’d like to take him down south. He’s fun.

1 Like

Really? That’s surprising. I assumed you had a decent palate.

That’s why I don’t like Taiwanese food.

3 Likes

Sure, if you stop behaving like a child.

1 Like

Bollocks, it’s not that bad.

Actually, the cockerel testicles are a bit of a mouthful.

2 Likes

I wish I agreed. It would certainly make my life a bit simpler.

18 posts were split to a new topic: Taiwanese Diaspora

Then you’ve never had the purple rice spicy fan-twan for breakfast!

1 Like

Why should he/she/they? He/she/they might come here simply for the fun. You do know about fun, yeah? It involves laughing and unclenching one’s arsecheeks at the same time. It’s how one makes friends even from far away.

2 Likes

I think he means that it would not be expedient opening a restaurant that sells Taiwanese food in any other country but Taiwan.
Taiwanese open “Chinese” places when they move, selling sweet and sour pork, Shanghai steak, Peking duck, fried noodles and fortune cookies.
Most certainly not century eggs, rotten tofu and gummy, sweet, oyster omelets.
The FAMOUS muck just doesn’t feature.

2 Likes

There are two Taiwanese restaurants around Albany, NY. One is more HK noodles, and the other is a sit down place with sushi and regular western “Chinese food.” The family thinks its very good, but I think it’s OK. I just smile and pay the bill. They happy, me happy.

3 Likes