Taiwanese vs. Vietnamese food

Yep. I’ve been to many Taiwanese-owned restaurants in South Africa, and it’s all western “Chinese food”.
I wonder why the FAMOUS Taiwanese food doesn’t ever feature on the menus. :thinking:

Food is fucking food. I won’t travel thousands of miles and spend thousands of dollars for a sandwich made of sweet baby pigs entrails. The ONLY place I can say the food was top five on a vacation/trip was Hokkaido. But if you don’t like seafood, sashimi or ramen, yer fooked.

1 Like

So you’re saying loosening up your ass is how you make friends?

Anal Kegels are the key to happy retirement.

3 Likes

@discobot fortune

:crystal_ball: Cannot predict now

1 Like

I feel like lots of people abroad would like a Taiwanese breakfast shop…outside of that yeah not much would export well I’m afraid.

卡啦雞腿堡 (kalajituibao) fried chicken sandwiches have the potential to be amazing here, not to mention 燒餅 (shaobing).

I imagine a TW breakfast shop could do quite well in California, even Washington. I assume there are a few out there already.

3 Likes

Mmmm. Mushy congee rice with sweet pork floss. Just what the world has been waiting for!

4 Likes

Yeah not sure why Yonghe Doujiang isn’t an international chain already like Dintaifeng. I’ve seen plenty of knockoffs in China though.

2 Likes

I was assuming he meant

Shaobing
Congzhuabing
Danbing
Luobogao
Baozi

Etc…

I’d agree breakfast is the best part of Taiwanese cuisine and the most easily exportable.

4 Likes

Really? Are you serious? Most of that stuff is steeped in rancid oil and has been prepared in a filthy kitchen.

Oxymoron.

You said GOOD Bahn Mi. I’ve never had a good Bahn Mi in Taiwan. Open to places to try to confirm my suspicion that it just doesn’t exist here.

2 Likes

It’s always hilarious when these OT threads get five times the number of replies as the original threads they’re split from.

6 Likes

That sounds like a symptom of the places you go to.

Danbing is like an egg crepe…not that controversial.

Steamed buns… pretty popular

Shaobing also good.

The one common trait among friends visiting is they like the breakfast. Better than many other breakfasts I’ve had in Asia.

2 Likes

Yeah no, the stuff that is a step up!

On buns/toast/croissants/shaobing, stuff like:

燻雞 (xunji)
and
卡啦雞 (kalaji)

side items:

蛋餅 (danbing)
蘿蔔糕 (luobogao)
薯餅塔 (shubingta)
different flavors of toast

drinks:
black tea/green tea with different fruit combinations
soy milk / black soy milk

There is quite a bit of overlap with this kind of breakfast and American breakfast honestly. When my friends/family finally get to visit, I imagine the mid-scale or higher breakfast shops will certainly be their best food experience. Think like 加上燒餅 (A+ shaobing) level or MWD / Laya / Q-burger level of fare and higher.

Lots of places can be grease traps. It can really be hit or miss. I find there is a pretty big correlation between the ambiance of the breakfast shop and how greasy it will be. Most of the super local looking breakfast shops are essentially greasy clones of each other, but def a few diamonds in the rough.

I will forever miss a recently shuttered local one nearby that put apple rings in their kalaji sandwich. Bold addition but it definitely worked well.

1 Like

Was never a congee fan when I lived in China, noodles was my preferred breakfast there

But in Thailand, on trips with friends, sometimes that was the breakfast I was given. In my experience, the rice was just in the water long enough to make it tender (not mushy), and also lots of vegetables and some ground pork was added. Fresh herbs and chili as well, much better than the Chinese one.

2 Likes

Yeah, well, that’s Thailand.

1 Like

:open_mouth:

Korea doesn’t even have “breakfast.” They will sometimes eat food early in the morning, but the foodstuff isn’t distinct from what you’d eat for lunch or dinner.

1 Like

@Gain

Tbf, most of these comments are from people who visited. It’s one thing to visit and another to live there.

Street food in Vietnam is pretty disappointing to me compared to Taiwan. And I’m in korea now and Vietnam can’t even compare when it comes to street food.

1 Like