Taiwanese vs. Vietnamese food

5 spice, or nothing?

Iā€™ve had decent banh mis here actually, and decent pho. (Both also confirmed as good by Vietnamese friends.) Donā€™t know what itā€™s like in Kaohsiung.

Iā€™m not sure how much of issue the bread is. In the ASEAN area of Taichung thereā€™s a few places that make their own on a semi-industrial scale, and I assume thereā€™s places selling it around Taiwan.

I donā€™t think itā€™s exactly easy for many of those migrant workers to open businesses here, of course. Many of the Vietnamese restaurants Iā€™ve seen seem to have happened after someone from Vietnam has married a Taiwanese person, which obviously makes things easier.

4 Likes

A little sweet, a little salty, a little gloopy, not much flavor.

1 Like

Oh it was the government hospital in Chiang Mai, not one of the pricier international ones. It wasnā€™t exactly luxurious, but it wasnā€™t terrible either.

They told me it wasnā€™t good for my recovery/surgery to eat anything more flavorsome and substantial than rice porridge. I told them I couldnā€™t take rice porridge anymore and it wasnā€™t good for my recovery/surgery if I jumped out of the window.

1 Like

Do you recall where they are/ their names? Not being facetious. I crave good Vietnamese and might make a special journey to any place that can actually make a decent meal.

Never understood how the idea that wallpaper paste is somehow especially good for sick people holds such appeal for medical professionals. You get the exact same meme all over the world.

1 Like

mild and easy to digest so your body doesnā€™t have to expend energy breaking down something like a steak? I mean obviously there is a middle ground lmao

1 Like

I guess it is better for you than white bread which is what they normally recommend back home for a dodgy belly.

1 Like

It does work for me when Iā€™m recovering from explosive diarrhea.

Basically just baked wallpaper paste though, innit.

Oatmeal slop is another British equivalent.

I donā€™t know all of them. My ex-girlfriend was Vietnamese and she would often just bring random Vietnamese food sheā€™d picked up from somewhere.

This one (near Guting) Iā€™ve been to quite a few times for banh mi and pho:

This one (near Houshanpi) was her favorite, but I donā€™t think we ever had banh mi there:

This one (near Taipei 101/Taipei Medical University Hospital) is a recent favorite of mine for pho and fried spring rolls (Iā€™ve gone in a couple of times to order like 5 boxes of fried spring rolls for reheating over the next couple of days, then sat around while they made new ones to order - theyā€™re pretty friendly too):

Another pretty good one further down the same street that Iā€™ve been to when that one is closed (Iā€™ve only had pho there):

(No idea why my Google Maps links are now pasting as maps rather than the usual previews, but hopefully the places Iā€™m talking about are visible.)

3 Likes

You can add stuff to it. Fish, chicken etc

Obviously not if you are sick.

If you are sick, you can only add pork floss. :face_vomiting:

1 Like

Whoa, where can you get that?

I thought this one in Shilin was better than the popular one in Tianmu (which I find salty AF), for whatever thatā€™s worth. Not been to Vietnam

2 Likes

Iā€™ve recommended Funā€™s Vietnamese in Beitou before; about 10 minutes walk from Beitou Station. I have no idea how ā€œauthenticā€ it is (I dislike that word anyway), but itā€™s the only place Iā€™ve tried here that has that lighter taste I somehow associate with Vietnamese.

As I said in the thread linked below, if youā€™re in the area, I highly recommend it, but I wouldnā€™t suggest traveling across town for it.

2 Likes

Yes, there are some very decent Vietnamese restaurants in Taiwan, you guys need to get around more. It really is true that if you see Vietnamese eating there itā€™s a good sign.

Now there is a serious lack of fancy ass Vietnamese places, which is a pity.

1 Like

I agree, so please direct your ā€œyou guysā€ at somebody else haha. I get around just fine. :sunglasses:

Yes , I meant those other guys.

Iā€™m a fan of Taiwanese food, I spent a lot of time in Thailand recently and very happy to enjoy the range of cuisine that I can get in Taiwan again. Food in Taiwan is more diverse and not overly reliant on chili.

Also Thailand and China to a degree uses far too much MSG (weijin) but Taiwanā€™s flavours are much cleaner and they very rarely add MSG anymore.

2 Likes

This thread is amusing me. I suspect I agree with this - the breakfast chains are certainly the style of Taiwanese food I eat most often (by far) (i.e. 1-2 times a week). ā€œBestā€, however, doesnā€™t equal good. I also agree with other posts that most of the banh mi sandwiches here are subpar. However, I do think a subpar banh mi is better than a good MWD lunch!

So, yeah, the breakfast places arenā€™t great. But relatively? Theyā€™re good. Most banh mi here arenā€™t great. But relatively? Also good!

1 Like

I have come across a few surprisingly bad ones too. They were annoying to go to with the aforementioned Vietnamese ex-girlfriend, for it would often provoke a tantrum. :sweat_smile:

Maybe theyā€™d adjusted too much to the Taiwanese palate, and made the food shit. Who knows. :grin:

1 Like

Whatā€™s the name for that sweet ā€¦ mayo? ā€¦ that winds up slathered on sandwiches here? One banh mi place I initially liked in Danshui has started overdoing that. I dunno if normally thereā€™s a small spread of that for flavor, and theyā€™re just making it sweeter to suit locals, or if itā€™s entirely their own thing. But I need to add that to the ā€œnoā€ list alongside xiangcai.