Taiwanese woman gets Best Job in the World?

travel.asiaone.com/Travel/News/S … 39688.html

more news on the winner. They shouldve picked a hot lady as those in bikini and scuba gear will attract a lot more viewers then some guy? Or maybe not.

OH and @m.teresa. Thats actually true, I dont think a lot of TW women get boob jobs or do they? I mean its not a criminal offense to be flat chested in Taiwan so they dont feel they absolutely have to .

Agreed, very surprising actually. :unamused: I no longer have any interest in the promotion or the blog and have deleted the bookmark.

I guess they’re hoping to attract more female audience, best of luck. I think its a bad decision, buddy is set for life though now.

I’d hardly say he’s set for life. He would need to leverage this into something really big or something ongoing in order to say that. AUD 150,000 will buy him an ice cream in Europe in thirty years. Even slapping another 0 on the end wouldn’t necessarily set him up for life in Australia these days.

My point entirely. He went from flipping burgers (I didn’t actually see his vid so that might not be true) to having the ultimate answer to the HR “Tell a time…”. He’s going to have offers coming in left right and center after his stint there for all sorts of things and all he has to do is not drown, not kill someone, and not blog about politics. I’d call that set for life.

Maybe. Like I said, he would need to leverage it. Lots of people go from being momentarily famous back to being obscure.

Erm, no. He’s done guiding in Africa, is a PR manager, organizes charity events, a whole range of stuff. Read his bio. He’s a pro. Unlike the daft Taiwanese lassie who managed to get a lot of strangers to vote for her simply because she’s easy on the eye and COULD have been the new Pride of Taiwan now that Wang “You STINK!” Chien-ming has fallen from grace.

The best thing about that is that we may finally see another team apart from NYY playing MLB on TV in Taiwan.

The best thing about that is that we may finally see another team apart from NYY playing MLB on TV in Taiwan.[/quote]

Let’s hope so. So sick of watching them. (unless they lose)

They’re so fucking parochial about the handful of famous people from this country to the point where everyone is obsessed with the Yankees and plenty of people here take it as a personal insult if someone else (usually from North America) just so happens to support another team.

I don’t even know which teams in foreign sporting leagues Australians are playing in, and I personally couldn’t give a shit. I don’t feel the need to support the handful of Australians in the NBA or NFL. I mean, good on 'em, but who gives a toss? Maybe if Taiwan produced a few more high achievers (at least in sport), it might not be so parochial.

Likewise, they’re so parochial about their pop stars. As if anyone would know of, let alone give a shit about, some shitty pop star from a country of a little over 20 million people. I mean really, everyone gets so moist about Jolin, but who gives a toss? Every country has such people. Yet people look at me with amazement if I don’t know the name and every bit of gossip about every no-talent hack in the music/acting/fashion industries here.

Millions of people – in Taiwan, Hong Kong, China, Singapore. I’ve heard of Jolin simply because I live here, but I’ve never heard her sing to my knowledge. On the other hand, I can’t even THINK of any, say, Canookians except for maybe Anne Murray and that Bryan Adams bloke who lives in Britland. I’m sure there are loads of them, though. Stuff like that doesn’t tend to travel well.

We’re just old! Don’t you remember being 13 and being so intersted in a pop star, actor or sports star?

Not Canookian, though. That’s my point. I suppose if you were a “beat” person you might have heard of Sacha Distel or someone like that, but mostly it was the Bay City Rollers and David Essex and those types.

No, I know. It’s local and age related.

I bet neither of you have much to say about the Dolly Rockers, either.

Middled aged folk like us going on about how we don’t care about Jolin is not surprising. And Taiwanese people talk about Jolin just talk about her because they assume you won’t have heard of anyone actually cool, and she’s the most visible.

[quote]And Taiwanese people talk about Jolin just talk about her because they assume you won’t have heard of anyone actually cool, and she’s the most visible.
[/quote]
True.
Anyway, back on topic. That Aussie McJob isn’t even the best job in the world, anyway. Not by a long chalk.
The REAL best job in the world

My mum used to work there!

I bet he’s gagging to get rid of those braces.

Canada has produced a ton of actors/comedians, as well as a fair number of musicians. How about Neil Young, for instance? Like all the good stuff, his top stuff is from way before my time. Or how about Diana Krall? She’s ace.

I can, thankfully, say I haven’t heard a Jolin song, or maybe I have without knowing it.

[quote=“GuyInTaiwan”]Canada has produced a ton of actors/comedians, as well as a fair number of musicians. How about Neil Young, for instance? Like all the good stuff, his top stuff is from way before my time. Or how about Diana Krall? She’s ace.

I can, thankfully, say I haven’t heard a Jolin song, or maybe I have without knowing it.[/quote]

Well there’s her latest hit ‘I don’t wanna boyfriend, I wanna real man’. In the video she mostly repeats those lyrics, there is a… ‘real man’ in the video with a slight goatee and a kind of bowler hat, if you walk around Taipei you can see a lot of teenage boys with attempted goatees and silly hats on - it’s all Jolin’s fault.

To tell the truth I saw her on a TV show recently and she seems to be more into herself than anything or anyone else.

[quote=“Dr Jellyfish”][quote=“GuyInTaiwan”]Canada has produced a ton of actors/comedians, as well as a fair number of musicians. How about Neil Young, for instance? Like all the good stuff, his top stuff is from way before my time. Or how about Diana Krall? She’s ace.

I can, thankfully, say I haven’t heard a Jolin song, or maybe I have without knowing it.[/quote]

Well there’s her latest hit ‘I don’t wanna boyfriend, I wanna real man’. In the video she mostly repeats those lyrics, there is a… ‘real man’ in the video with a slight goatee and a kind of bowler hat, if you walk around Taipei you can see a lot of teenage boys with attempted goatees and silly hats on - it’s all Jolin’s fault.

To tell the truth I saw her on a TV show recently and she seems to be more into herself than anything or anyone else.[/quote]

Well, good on her, although I would suspect it isn’t her doing. She’s a brand and a product, but she’s not her own brand and her own product. I suspect that that all of these things are decided for her by guys in suits in a room. I mean, good on her that she’s milking it for all she’s worth, but she’s hardly Madonna who is her own brand and product. Anyway, I couldn’t care less about what Jolin is or isn’t up to. I see her face on ads at convenience stores and she has virtually no effect on my decisions to buy anything, but most marketing is like that with me. It obviously works on many people though.