Taiwanese woman gets Best Job in the World?

I think most people, in the vain hope that you can trust anybody, kind of expected that the selection process would be based on the stated criteria. They were very keen to stress that anyone could apply, which kind of implies that anyone could get the job. If they are only willing to consider applications from hot young things in thongs (which includes the famous Australian ‘bum’) then it would have been more respectful towards everyone to have said so.

I know a guy - one of my students - who spent all day trying to submit his video, cursing at their technological backwardness, unaware that he had no chance at all. Search the blogosphere for people who have applied and you will find many references to the amount of time and work people put into this. To have a 1:34,000 chancce is the odds you accept. To have no chance is to feel that you have just wasted your time, energy and creativity to promote some cunt who lied to you. I don’t blame the woman for complaining.

And, in case you haven’t noticed, most of the young foreign people having fun in Australia are funding it either with credit or as part of a working holiday visa, and they all want everything on the cheap. Hamilton Island for young 'uns in a credit crunch and declining economy? I think not. It makes a lot of sense to hire a baby-boomer, someone that your most likely potential market can relate to.

On the other hand, if Nila gets the job then I’ll go and visit her! Tommy, you forgot to mention her boobies, which are exquisite!

I dont know how the hell I missed that !! Perfect boobies?? Well then shes perfect for the job. Give her that 100k now ! And send her out there topless underwater, over water, you name it. Topless like all the other Aussie lassies on the beach.

Hopefully that IS in the fine print?

By the way, why not just put a gorgeous Aussie girl on that job. There are so many gorgeous Aussie girls in OZ. Iv seen some super hot ones in Taipei so there must be more down there at the motherlode?

She will be totally comfy topless too. No worries mate ! Plus lots of us love that ozzie twang.

Who has the Raid?

:laughing: I’ll go get some.

Its been proven that ingesting Raid makes your boobies smaller.

I’m starting my own competition called the “Greatest Slob in the World”. The idea is to keep a video blog of all the Aussies hanging out on the Whitsundays. In order to get the slob job you must first submit a video profile to prove that you can cop it on the chin, love being buggered around, have a pension for flashing your tits or hanging brown eyes, have a perfect plumbers crack, look great in a pair of stubbies (male or female), know the meaning of the terms fish head, boong, leb, and wop, can eat bangers, slam a slab of stubbies, while all the while being a sanctimonious lech.

That pretty well describes more than two Australians in any group abroad, plus the entire state of South Australia while at home.

[quote=“enzo+”]Forget about Janet, here comes … Clare!

http://www.taiwannews.com.tw/etn/news_content.php?id=883295&lang=eng_news&cate_img=49.jpg&cate_rss=news_Society_TAIWAN

You can also find how she and the others are doing at http://www.islandreefjob.com[/quote]

Hope she gets it. But if is another promotional show, it will only sing the good things about the place and omit the bad stuff.
I read in the last month newspaper that the show with Janet was losing a lot of money and his producer was very angry, now they are trying to improve it.

[quote=“GuyInTaiwan”]
That pretty well describes more than two Australians in any group abroad, plus the entire state of South Australia while at home.[/quote]

Who are you calling a bogan, mate?

And Loretta, I agree with your comment. But faced with such a huge number of applicants, it is inevitable that they would have many many people qualified for the original list of criteria. They then culled those people down by using additional, unstated, criteria. Didn’t you see that a mile away?

I did notice your entry. But to really stand out from 35,000 others, you needed to be really, really good at doing what you did, to have a technically brilliant entry that did not seem over the top, and to make it seem really natural at the same time.

I think most people, in the vain hope that you can trust anybody, kind of expected that the selection process would be based on the stated criteria. They were very keen to stress that anyone could apply, which kind of implies that anyone could get the job. If they are only willing to consider applications from hot young things in thongs (which includes the famous Australian ‘bum’) then it would have been more respectful towards everyone to have said so.

I know a guy - one of my students - who spent all day trying to submit his video, cursing at their technological backwardness, unaware that he had no chance at all. Search the blogosphere for people who have applied and you will find many references to the amount of time and work people put into this. To have a 1:34,000 chancce is the odds you accept. To have no chance is to feel that you have just wasted your time, energy and creativity to promote some cunt who lied to you. I don’t blame the woman for complaining.

And, in case you haven’t noticed, most of the young foreign people having fun in Australia are funding it either with credit or as part of a working holiday visa, and they all want everything on the cheap. Hamilton Island for young 'uns in a credit crunch and declining economy? I think not. It makes a lot of sense to hire a baby-boomer, someone that your most likely potential market can relate to.

On the other hand, if Nila gets the job then I’ll go and visit her! Tommy, you forgot to mention her boobies, which are exquisite![/quote]

:eh: Wake up, welcome to life. Anyone could apply. Anyone can apply online for a VP job in some Fortune 500 company, and if they somehow make it by the automatic filters and talk to a real live HR person, they might have a chance at the position. But usually the HR will ask if they have any business experience. So luck + skills gets you the job. Cry me a bleeping river if you think you tried really hard and therefore should get the job, kindergarten is over yo.

It’s marketing, i.e. the you have to be able to sell something. When was the last time you bought a sandwich from an unshaven hairy bastard that smelled like urine? Oh, but he’s qualified and applied so he should been given a chance at the job as you say!

Maybe some old menopausal broad would do an awesome job. But sex sells and the safe bet is playing the odds and going with someone young, adventurous, and good looking.

Let me know next time your plane crashes and you forgive the widget who tried really hard to perform the maintenence correctly the previous day!

[quote=“Freakin’ Amazing”]
:eh: Wake up, welcome to life. Anyone could apply. Anyone can apply online for a VP job in some Fortune 500 company, and if they somehow make it by the automatic filters and talk to a real live HR person, they might have a chance at the position. But usually the HR will ask if they have any business experience. So luck + skills gets you the job. [/quote]

That’s the point. When you advertise a job, you say what skills and qualities you are looking for so that no-hopers don’t waste your time and theirs by applying.

To take the latest CEO job advertised on Monster.com as an example, the summary states

[quote]
Company
Goodwill Industries of Danville
Industries
Nonprofit Charitable Organizations
Job Type
Full Time
Employee
Relevant Work Experience
5+​ to 7 Years
Education Level
Bachelor’s Degree
Career Level
Senior Executive (President, CFO, etc) [/quote]
Clear enough. But when you say anyone can apply, you should not be looking for a particular demographic.

As for this

Is there anyone on this peanut gallery of a website who is able to consider principles without confusing them with sour grapes?

If someone would do an awesome job then it wouldn’t matter that she was old and menopausal. Sex, on the other hand, doesn’t sell to old menopausal women who have more money than the current crowd of backpackers who have suddenly run out of easy credit to fund their sun, sea and sex adventures. If they wanted a safe bet then why did they do something new and different?

Young adventurous good-looking people sell to young adventurous good-looking people. If you want to attract a different demographic in these uncertain times then you have to broaden your appeal. Therefore, an unconventional campaign designed to attract everyone makes perfect sense. Playing safe just makes you look insincere and pisses off the people you were hoping to attract. How many baby-boomers are still following this competition?

maybe because enough of the baby boomers already go to Hamilton Island, and they want to attract the younger ones. I wouldn’t go to Hamilton, personally: it’s too big, too developed, and it’s not even on the reef proper but in the Whitsunday islands, a different geology altogether. there IS coral around the island, but its just isolated bommies rather than a reef with a coral atoll and lagoon affair as one expects from all the publicity photos. the reef itself is a bit further off shore and accessed by seaplane or boat.

if you really want to see the true reef, as in all the dream photos, go to Green Island, or Lizard island. Heron Island is one of the easier ones to get to, as it is at the southern tip of the reef, and it too is a true atoll with lagoon, but its coral is dying off unfortunately.

[quote=“Loretta”]That’s the point. When you advertise a job, you say what skills and qualities you are looking for so that no-hopers don’t waste your time and theirs by applying.

[…]

Clear enough. But when you say anyone can apply, you should not be looking for a particular demographic.[/quote]

I think you missed the paragraph I wrote on marketing.

[quote=“Loretta”]
As for this

Is there anyone on this peanut gallery of a website who is able to consider principles without confusing them with sour grapes?[/quote]

What principles?? That effort should be accounted for in the evaluation process? If bobby joe thinks he’s got a shot and spends heaps of time applying when in actuality his appraisal was wrong he doesn’t have squat, that’s his problem, his miscalculation, and only he has to deal with it. It has nothing to do with the company. Also important is that evaluation of candidates is a relative process, i.e. not until after the submissions have been made will evaluators know precisely (note I said precisely) what criteria are going to give it to the winning candidate. If only a bunch of idiots apply, then they’ll pick the best idiot. Hiring processes for single candidates are not absolute, that would be impossible.

As for what is your target market if you use young good looking people? Only young and good looking people? Completely disagree, and suggest you attend some post secondary marketing courses.

If anything, I would say the problem with this situation is that due to overriding PC environments in NA and Aussie its now not “acceptable” to be forthright with audiences and make it abundantly clear you’re using sex to sell. Denying that a fundamental characteristic of the market exists does not make it disappear, it is simply misleading. And to those that say using sex to sell is demeaning to the practitioners, I suggest you stop applying your morality onto others and allow them to decide. If someone wants to pay me to shake my hairy ass I’d be all over it. What is the problem is if someone paid me because they said “I’m really good!” to be PC when in actuality they just wanted to see me shake my hairy ass and I was too stupid to realize that.

Don’t you see that attitude is causing the problem, not fixing it?

Moving on from what the Aussies should or shouldn’t have said in their ad, which is kind of a pointless discussion anyway, urodacus does have a point.

As a young virile adventurous go-getter, I must say that Hamilton Island doesn’t sound like the sort of place I’d choose as a holiday destination. That whole region of Queensland is pretty awful in my book. The premise of this campaign is that encouraging more people to come and destroy something that used to be beautiful is a good thing. Maybe the winner could spend six months looking at stuff and reporting on their blog that in order to preserve what’s left everyone should just go somewhere else?

Moving on from what the Aussies should or shouldn’t have said in their ad, which is kind of a pointless discussion anyway, urodacus does have a point.

As a young virile adventurous go-getter, I must say that Hamilton Island doesn’t sound like the sort of place I’d choose as a holiday destination. That whole region of Queensland is pretty awful in my book. The premise of this campaign is that encouraging more people to come and destroy something that used to be beautiful is a good thing. Maybe the winner could spend six months looking at stuff and reporting on their blog that in order to preserve what’s left everyone should just go somewhere else?[/quote]

Except that’s always easy for us young, virile adventurous go-getters. We go to X which is off the trail, and rave about how authentic it is. Then some more people follow. Then some more. Pretty soon, the four star hotels and tours and baby boomers follow. Then, we complain about the culture or environment being ruined. Maybe we shouldn’t go to begin with.

Don’t be silly. If there’s nobody there to enjoy it, then how can it be wonderful? It’s like the tree in the forest, or Schroedinger’s Cat, for that matter. The best thing to do is to go, enjoy it, and keep quiet about it. It’s like “The Beach”. Anyone telling other people about it should be punished. Those bastards at Lonely Planet should be shot for what they’re doing. :no-no: :no-no: :no-no:

Also, there should be UN regulation of internet access in unspoilt (ie poor) places to stop people sending email or keeping a blog. In fact, developing countries should be prevented from even having electricity so that nobody can recharge their digital cameras. And tourists should have their hands amputated when they leave so that they can’t write anything.

Isn’t Hamilton Island just a big resort in the same manner as many in Asia, Carribean, Indian Ocean, Canaries… It’s not exactly paradise to me, you’d have a 100X times more fun (as myself and my friends and many do) buying a clapped out sleeper van and bumming it up and down Queensland. In fact I’m pretty sure I was there before and it reminded me of the Howard Hotel in Kenting.
Also, these competitions favour slick videos for 20 somethings…I don’t think the targeting is exactly right…but it certainly has got a lot of media attention.

There are variations on this kind of ‘stunt’ that could be very powerful however (quickly thinking how to make millions from similar stunt…----).
As I stated before, how about making a 1 million USD ‘Taiwan Adventure Challenge’ drop people in Taroko Gorge and they have to make it across the central range alive…put GPS trackers on them, give them a video camera for personal recording and a helicopter to take action photos. Select 10 people out of a panel of 100x crazy ultraadventure types from round the world.

On another note, am I the only one that, every time I see this thread, keeps reading the title as:

[color=#FF0000]Taiwanese woman gets Breast Job[/color]

Don’t be silly. If there’s nobody there to enjoy it, then how can it be wonderful? It’s like the tree in the forest, or Schroedinger’s Cat, for that matter. The best thing to do is to go, enjoy it, and keep quiet about it. It’s like “The Beach”. Anyone telling other people about it should be punished. Those bastards at Lonely Planet should be shot for what they’re doing. :no-no: :no-no: :no-no:

Also, there should be UN regulation of internet access in unspoilt (ie poor) places to stop people sending email or keeping a blog. In fact, developing countries should be prevented from even having electricity so that nobody can recharge their digital cameras. And tourists should have their hands amputated when they leave so that they can’t write anything.[/quote]

Indeed! Haha.

Well, looks like Clare didn’t make the cut:

au.video.yahoo.com/watch/5011634/13331633