Taiwanese's opinion of ROC/KMT prior to 228

In a Time article, titled Foreign News: This Is the Shame, published back in June 10, 1946, the reporter noted the frustration of the average Taiwanese harbor towards ROC/KMT officials in charge of the trusted territories of Taiwan.

content.time.com/time/magazine/a … 79,00.html

Excerpts includes:

and

Full article is seem quoted here: hi-on.org.tw/bulletins.jsp?b_ID=75772

There was another article by Washington Daily News, titled Chinese exploit Formosa worse than japs did

Unfortunately full content of that article is hard to find now.

Good finds, thanks. Chiang Kai-shek was truely a grate leeder.

it is also interesting that peopled used to say “Shanghailanders.” XD

Is this the opening rumblings of a Shanghailand independence movement??? Someone call in the tanks.

Sometimes in my lonely free time (lots of that) I wonder what China would be like if it had just split up after the fall of the Qing Dynasty. Where would the national boundaries be? What would each country be like? It’s a fun thought experiment. After I do more research, I may come up with an alternate history map of the 20th century Remnants of the Qing (China) Empire.

[quote=“Hokwongwei”]Is this the opening rumblings of a Shanghailand independence movement??? Someone call in the tanks.

Sometimes in my lonely free time (lots of that) I wonder what China would be like if it had just split up after the fall of the Qing Dynasty. Where would the national boundaries be? What would each country be like? It’s a fun thought experiment. After I do more research, I may come up with an alternate history map of the 20th century Remnants of the Qing (China) Empire.[/quote]

technically it did. Had the Japanese not intervened during the Northern expedition, it would have remained fractured into:

Northeast (Feng branch 奉系),
Northwest (Shan branch 陝系),
Beijing (Zhi branch 直系),
Anhui (Wan branch 皖系),
Shanxi (Jin branch 晉系),
Guangdong and Jiejiang (Guang branch 廣系),
Guangxi (Qui branch 桂系),
Yunnan (Tian branch 滇系)

And the colonies would automatically regain independence, such as Mongolia, East Turkestan and Tibet. So we are talking about an 11 way split here.

[quote=“hansioux”]it is also interesting that peopled used to say “Shanghailanders.” XD

The only time I previously saw the use of “Shanghailanders” was in reference to the expat community in the Concession during the early 20C up to WWII. For some reason I had the sense that it was especially widely used among German émigrés (many of Jewish backgrounds escaping German govt persecution in the 1930s) and Russian exiles.

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shanghailander

Only rivaled by his son, the Deer Leeder.