Taiwan's 2024 Presidential Election

A newspaper?

Yes , exactly, looks like a HK gangster movie

1 Like

My friend who was postdoc at NTU said he was popular with NTU crowd, as see him as their representative.

He’s supported by gangsters and incels. There are a lot of incels at NTU.

We have missed your energy

She is an American who renounced US citizenship for ROC to become a government official.
Not surprised she has good English lol.

I would characterize her as a Taiwanese who also acquired American citizenship through her mother that she later renounced for the reasons you mentioned. She has been Taiwan’s most effective ambassador to the US ever.

She went to public schools in Tainan through high school before going to college and grad school in the US.

I think William Lai’s English is more than adequate. It’s certainly better than Ko’s or Hou’s. But perhaps I have been here too long.

I’d prefer her to stay in Washington where she is doing a great job she is perfectly suited for. Lai does not need more ‘weight’. He has far more government experience than his opponents and is also much more international.

Cheng Li-chun the former Minister of Culture is a better choice for Lai’s VP. Hsiao, despite all her talents, has never been very succesful in elections. Granted, Ms. Cheng is probably not going to make much of an impression on the campaign trail either.

2 Likes

It didn’t sound good at all to me. Maybe better than A-bian’s, but not even close to what Tsai can do (and both Lai and Tsai studied abroad).

Guy

She was a great Minister of Culture. I’d be happy to see more of her in the future if this works out.

Guy

Studying abroad doesn’t mean your English would improve. Most of the time it actually stays the same from my experience.

In Taiwan, some of the best speakers of English have never left the island…they’ve just dated a lot of foreigners. :clown_face:

3 Likes

Tsai spent five or six years overseas when she was in her 20s.

My understanding is that Lai studied for his MA in public health during the summers when he was a legislator in the early 2000s. By then, he was already in his early 40s.

FWIW, he was also a US State department international leader visitor in 2004.

1 Like

Didn’t she get it on with A-bian? :cowboy_hat_face: :wink: :wink: :wink: Scroll down the first link a little—I was quite the poet in the day :clown_face: :clown_face:…Chewycorns was a mix of Spartacus, Bertolt Brecht, Eddie Murphy and Henry Miller. He was a renaissance wookie on every level.

[CSB & Co. admit to guilt - Politics / Taiwan Politics - Forumosa]
(CSB & Co. admit to guilt - #26 by mr_boogie)

Some references from respected Forumosans on such gossip Beautiful DPP Spokeswoman/Legislature - Discussion / Open Forum - Forumosa

Going to say that Ma’s English is best

This isn’t a remark on his character or leadership but his English is on point

Indeed it has, as history repeats. In his latest column, Michael Turton explains how this splintering is a feature, not a bug, of the pan-blue side of the spectrum.

Guy

Sure, and running as an independent in a first pass the post election is the way to break that malaise…

Siau Bi-khim is also a cat mom. It’s sad that she lost her legislatorial elections in Hualien. Hualien could use someone like her.

1 Like

His English is fine for his age but I wouldn’t call it on point. He can recite from a speech written for him and that’s about it.

On point = native speaker level.

1 Like

Ok, if thats your standards, i would say he is very fluent and better than other Taiwanese politicians I have heard(apart from those who are basically ABC)

One door closes; another door—her appointment as Taiwan’s de facto ambassador to the US—opens.

Guy

1 Like