Taiwan's energy guide

Can someone tell me what is their “energy guide” based on?

This is an example (for a very efficient AC unit at that):

What use case are they basing this on? Because for me, I’m using that much power in one month as their claimed yearly usage. Are they assuming that most Taiwanese just run it for a couple of hours a day?

I know inverter AC’s are more efficient but this is like 10 times more efficient than any AC systems I have come across. I know inverters are good, but can’t be THAT good.

No official picture here but it claims a yearly use of about 600kwh. Again this is like much lower than what I use, and this is just not being home during “work hours” and being home and it’s turned on. Tonnage is similar.

Is there something I’m missing?

Edit: I googled their standard and they base this on using the AC unit for 8 hours a day for a year. It still doesn’t explain jack shit, because my AC uses that much in ONE FREAKING MONTH according to that usage guideline!

Something’s seriously off.

1 Like

I’d imagine that they have a published standard test method somewhere, which you’d presumably be able to find by googling in Chinese if you’re that interested.

But does it really matter? It’s just intended as a standard comparison of relative efficiency across multiple systems under some ideal and constant set of conditions, not really worth getting bogged down in how it compares with your personal usage IMO. :man_shrugging:

But I have to wonder how much of those figures are fudged? Like someone runs their AC set at 28 degrees 8 hours a day may see usage that low.

But that room would be too hot for me to want to be in.

Basically I’d be really happy if my usage was anywhere near what they say.

From googling, some of that number may be fudged, and Taiwan’s department of energy just sends them a “friendly reminder” if the number is off but does nothing.

I can certainly see manufacturers fudging that number, because if brand A’s AC uses about 300kwh per month in the summer months (June to September), that’s 1200kwh for the summer months. Then in the less hot (but still needs AC months, October, November, March, April, and May), it uses about 150kwh per month, which equals 750 kwh, with a total yearly usage of 1950kwh. Number like that is going to scare a lot of people off of buying any AC units, meaning manufacturers won’t sell any.

But if brand B claims their unit only consumes about 600-700kwh per year, then people are less scared.

The usage stats I posted above is real by the way, at least for me, using a 10,000btu AC unit and the bills I see during those time.

If I bought an inverter the summer month usage may drop to about 250kwh.

It seems to assume 3hrs/day of operation at full power. Mostly it won’t be operating at full power. So yes, 600kwh/year does seem a bit optimistic, but as @Andrew said, if they’re using standard test conditions it really doesn’t matter.

4.12 COP is about average for vapour-compression refrigeration.

If you’re using 600kwh per month then presumably you have a larger space than a 2.3kw cooling requirement.

Sorry I was a little exaggerating, but you get my point. The numbers they give on the “energy guide” sticker seems EXTREMELY optimistic.

This past summer my AC was using probably about 300-350kwh per month. The compressor draws about 4 amps when it runs. I’m cooling about 3-4 pings, and the unit is about 10,000btu.

I’ll admit my unit’s evaporator is a bit wonky and I had to do a compressor swap halfway through because it busted. Maybe I could have gotten it down to 250-300kwh per month if the evaporator unit is more optimized with good airflow (AC units actually get MORE efficient when the airflow through the evaporator is high, and so turning the fan down is actually making it LESS efficient).

This is why the evaporator went to the scrap yard when I moved… it was crap to begin with. I kept the condenser unit though… in case I need it in the future (not to mention it has a brand new compressor inside, and I can use them for refrigerant recovery if necessary).

I think I’m going to spring for a Daikin inverter unit if I move again. Maybe I can get a much better monthly summer month usage stat compared to what I got now.