Taiwan's entrepreneurs make the world's electronics. Now they want to make weapons

Interesting story, and new business for new and old business

4 Likes

Better have their cybersecurity up to snuff. :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Problem is customers.

1 Like

Finding customers? Or dealing with them, and whomever (dis)approves of those dealings?

Taiwan has a reputation for good tech, but the politics could be a problem.

And the big money must go to the political party in power and itā€™s connections.

1 Like

If thereā€™s a country that should develop a weapons industry, I would have to say Taiwan should be it :man_shrugging:

9 Likes

Yes, it should be it. They can make good hardware, software might be a problem, need work with people in Baltics better in software and also need for defence though Baltics and get UK/ EU/USA-Mex help via NATO.

Do you ever wonder why most military weapons in the US have civilian versions?

Because government contract isnā€™t enough to pay the bills, and so companies like Colt, Beretta, etc. have to sell to civilians if they want to stay in business.

Taiwan has no civilian weapons market, so Iā€™d like to see them stay in business only through government contracts.

Rumor has it that Taiwan sold NK the technology that allowed their nuclear program to work. Strangely taiwan is one of NKs largest trading partners :face_with_peeking_eye:

I donā€™t think they are going to develop/make rifles and guns; itā€™s going to be a little more sophisticated.

2 Likes

This. Donā€™t know how to do it. Unless just do OEM for American companies, whoā€™s gonna buy from Taiwan without being threatened?

1 Like

Taiwan is among leaders in cybersecurity.

Tops are US, Russia, Ukraine, Israel and Taiwan, according to Startup Island podcast.

The problem is thereā€™s a shortage of top security people and theyā€™re not evenly distributed. All of the countries above have vast areas of weakness across all private enterprise, government and infrastructure. :man_shrugging:

Which will require R&D programs, meaning investment and probably foreign experts.

Investment would have to come from within Taiwan because most countries support the One China Policy. Which means no government or VC is going to want to fund even a dual-use program in Taiwan.

Foreign experts? Well yā€™all already know my friendā€™s story.

Whatever Taiwan makes to sell on the arms market will probably be made cheaper in China.

So the countries that might buy from Taiwan instead of China, would do so for political reasons, e.g. the West/NATO/Aus/NZ. In which case Taiwan has to compete with established defense companies on the qualitative edge - good luck without a legacy of doing so, highly skilled talent (that is paid and treated well!) and with the Chinese culture of being afraid to take risks/make mistakes in the name of progress (äøåšļ¼ŒäøéŒÆ).

What???

1 Like

Nothing to do with risk adverse, it simply means not wrong.

It seems that people are afraid to take risks for fear of losing face.

The government should contract with all these drone manufacturers, air and sea, and start testing the shit out of it now. Multiple platforms as itā€™s hard to predict what is successful in a war situation.

As for missiles Taiwan has pretty strong indigenous capabilities from what I can see.

1 Like

Thereā€™s a huge push for underwater autonomous systems right now, and not much pre-existing tech. The folks I know in this space say itā€™s a green field opportunity pretty much across the board.

2 Likes

but the US has enough for all of us :heart::heart::heart:

Theyā€™d be far from the first to enter the US firearm market too, I mean thereā€™s Steyr, sig, almost certainly some french shit I donā€™t care enough to know about, china used to have more but thereā€™s also legislation against their imports, and I know Turkey is huge.

They should just remake the Chiang Kai Shek rifle for the modern era so the tacticool badass fatasses of the United States ā€œcivilian militiaā€ can rep a generalissimo while they campaign for further delegislation and deregulation!

Hey, if the markets there, honestly canā€™t do anything worse than our domestic market and population have.