Taiwan's richest man, his candle has extinguished

[quote=“Mucha Man”]

BTW, I deleted the Fabian stuff last night after posting as I thought it was an unneccesary thing to say. So how did it end up in your post? You saved it didn’t you? :roflmao:[/quote]

Hell no. Would be a waste of space on my own HD :wink: I inserted it in the quote because I read it originally but then noticed you removed it. You really shouldn’t post at 340am. :smiling_imp:

I believe I lauded them for their frugal nature, down-to-earth nature, philanthropy (hospitals, educational scholarships etc), and their entrepreneurial spirit. He was also a man of his word and a friend of the US (whose US AID programs were instrumental in helping the company at the beginning). I’m not suprised that environmentally-minded foreigners are criticizing him on here, but it reminds me of an old Sam Rayburn saying:
“Any jackass can tear down a barn, it takes a carpenter to build one.”

I think any fair and balanced person looking at the legacy would be in awe of all that has been accomplished–of all that has been built. Of all the 1000s of people that have been helped by the hospitals. But hey, a few expat authors and teachers know better, right?

[quote=“Chewycorns”][quote=“Muzha Man”]

BTW, I deleted the Fabian stuff last night after posting as I thought it was an unneccesary thing to say. So how did it end up in your post? You saved it didn’t you? :roflmao:[/quote]

Hell no. Would be a waste of space :wink: I inserted it in the quote because I read it originally but then noticed you removed it. You really shouldn’t post at 340am. :smiling_imp:

I believe I lauded them for their frugal nature, down-to-earth nature, philanthropy (hospitals, educational scholarships etc), and their entrepreneurial spirit. He was also a man of his word and a friend of the US (whose US AID programs were instrumental in helping the company at the beginning). I’m not suprised that environmentally-minded foreigners are criticizing him on here, but it reminds me of an old Sam Rayburn saying:
“Any jackass can tear down a barn, it takes a carpenter to build one.” I think any fair and balanced person looking at the legacy would be in awe of all that has been accomplished.[/quote]

I am in awe of what he accomplished, both the good and the bad. But since the bad is in my face every day I can’t look past it.

Good for you that you can. I admire the strength of your blinders. It would be nice though if in this debate you didn’t resort to platitudes and generalizations and could respond to the concrete points I made. But as HGC is fond of saying, you have nothing and you manage to bring even less to the table.

:roflmao: If you’re having to resort to quoting from an Oz that is known to make a nasty personal attack or two, then I’d really recommend getting more intelligent, erudite, and powerful mentors. :roflmao: That line gives me the chuckles every time I read it. Thanks so much for the laughs. :bravo:

Right- I gained a bit more insight on this Tycoon.

My sole conclusion is that when I was a child - some 30 years ago, while receiving a plastic oxid green colorod soldier with a sticker on it mentionning
“Made in Taiwan” - the odd’s are high it was “Made by TaiWang”.

But I need to release some vapor here:
What the hell are we pointing our fingers to a man who wanted to be rich and we, Westerners expecting to receive the cheap things produced in a land far away without questionning on ethics. Of course, now that we LIVE here, we are the biggest defenders of the Rain forest. Rather hypocritcal.
Why do you think TW still got 85% of LCD screen manufacturing world wide? not cause the labor is cheaper than China, cause the factories exhausts are not questionned. (

Taiwan prostituted itself for the sake of economical growth. ALL related to chemicals. He was just a clever soldier -regardless if he -as plenty other- over ruled health & sanitation standards.

[quote=“ceevee369”]Right- I gained a bit more insight on this Tycoon.

My sole conclusion is that when I was a child - some 30 years ago, while receiving a plastic oxid green colorod soldier with a sticker on it mentionning
“Made in Taiwan” - the odd’s are high it was “Made by TaiWang”.

But I need to release some vapor here:
What the hell are we pointing our fingers to a man who wanted to be rich and we, Westerners expecting to receive the cheap things produced in a land far away without questionning on ethics. Of course, now that we LIVE here, we are the biggest defenders of the Rain forest. Rather hypocritcal.
Why do you think TW still got 85% of LCD screen manufacturing world wide? not cause the labor is cheaper than China, cause the factories exhausts are not questionned. (

Taiwan prostituted itself for the sake of economical growth. ALL related to chemicals. He was just a clever soldier -regardless if he -as plenty other- over ruled health & sanitation standards.[/quote]

I never expected cheap things to be made in a far off land with lax environmental regulations and the suggestion that I did and so cannot criticize Wang is absurd.

As Feiren mentioned in the beginning, Formosa plastics left this country an environmental nightmare, but have left the cleanup to everyone else. Actually they have helped to make two countries filthy beyond measure. How frugality in living is a counterpoise to this I cannot understand. But then some will only speak power to truth, eh Chewie?

[quote]CHEWYCORNS: Most start at least 35,000 or 40,000, and even higher if they had a real degree from Brown (provided it wasn’t from the Kho San Road campus :smiling_imp: ). Then again, you have to show your real value. Some of the most educated people I’ve met haven’t necessarily been the most productive employees. In some cases, they’ve been too set in their ways.

My wife never worked for any of the titans, but she did work for a Taiwanese-run SME startup. She had no university degree and mainly did secretarial work. Started at 35,000 month, 9 month bonus, other holiday bonuses, 6 hour a day work schedule, and they gave her a Mount Blanc pen and a number of Hermes ties (she gave to me :bravo: ) when she quit. If you counted up these benefits, she made more than most foreigner teachers here with degrees and arrogant attitudes. Traditional Taiwanese companies demand hard work and value loyalty and humbleness. You ain’t going to get a stellar package until you show your drive. Furthermore, the consensus non-confrontational style of management is something Europe and North America can and should learn from.

Bullshit. I knew a lawyer who had two babies within 2 years. Company was completely supportive.

[quote=“mike_rophonechecker”]And no you aint getting no holiday

[/quote]
Bullshit. In Taiwan, you won’t get any holidays the first year. However, the private sector holiday schemes are much more generous than Taiwan’s public sector schemes in terms of flexibility. After two years, you get 10 days holidays (equates to two weeks of holidays). You’re also allotted over 100 hours of time you can take off for errands. So basically, that’s three week of holidays. Sick days paid at half pay. Can take longer unpaid leave if you need it. Not bad at all. The private health care coverage offered by most big companies in Taiwan is really good. These are pretty good benefits from a North American perspective. Maybe not as generous as some of the continental European countries (e.g France and Germany), but is that what the private sector wants to use as its inspiration in terms of HR policies? If anything, continental countries have been looking at becoming more like Britain and the US in terms of their HR policies and social programs This is a good thing, because as anyone familiar with birth rates and demographics will attest to, the state surely can’t afford to pay these benefits in Europe with the aging population.
[/quote]

I’ve worked for numerous Taiwanese companies over the years. I have to call your writing it for what it is, complete BS. According to some studies Taiwanese work the most hours of any industrial nation on earth. There is no overtime pay, workers routinely work saturdays and sundays in some industries for no extra pay.
http://goliath.ecnext.com/coms2/gi_0199-5018933/LONG-WORK-HOURS-AFFECT-TAIWAN.html
http://blog.yam.com/sabin/article/8526824

Almost all workers start in any company in Taiwan at around 20-25k/mth. With many years of experience your pay might rise to 30k-40k at most. The pay rate is now the worst for 28 years! For somebody with no degree you would be lucky to get 20,000k/mth rising to 25k/mth after 10 years of so. Even with a masters from a uni from overseas my wife knows many Taiwanese who cannot get a job, if they do get one the masters only equals to an additional few thousand NTD/mth. Your writing about the bonus above could only be from around 1998-2000. It’s complete fantasy. Your understanding of vacations is also wrong. Workers are only entitled to 7 days vacation after working one full year (perhaps not including probation period). After that the norm is to add one day per year worked. Among ‘wai shang’ foreign companies the norm is 10 days starting. The pay rate in ‘Wai Shang’ has also dropped substantially to local levels but local people still prefer due to added training and benefits. Many companies including ‘Wai Shang’ are focusing on hiring contract workers now to cut back on benefits.
The bonus system is a form of slavery. It effectively says we can pay you a little bit more money if we feel like it and if you work like a slave for years and years, and it’s all if, arbirtrary, depending on the whims of management. Sick days are often not paid, only some companies offer half pay. I don’t anything about so called ‘100 hours off for errands’. You can take unpaid leave but you probably won’t have a job if it’s more than a week or two. These benefits are crap, total crap. Check how the Japanese renumerate their workers and you would understand. The state can afford to pay benefits to the workers as the workers pay taxes to the state to support it as do the corporations, simple really. I’d rather let trust the government which can be voted for by me every four years then the stock market for my pension. I don’t know why you are brinigng Europe into this anyway. Besides Europe is a big place with a lot of diversity between countries, I don’t think you understand much about it at all.

Last point regarding married women and pregnancy. There is massive discrimination against married women in the workforce in Taiwan as now they can claim some time off paid, so employers simply refuse to hire married women in many cases now. Have a baby and in most cases kiss your job and at least your career goodbye. Is it a wonder that Taiwan has another sad record, the lowest birth rate in the entire world.

Mr. Wang’s big break was a 50 million USD (382 MILLION US DOLLARS IN TODAYS MONEY!) soft loan from USAID in 1954. I’m not saying he saying he wasn’t a good businessman but he was supported by the US government with a MASSIVE amount of money and a low tax, low wage, low regulatory environment. He focused on cost down and made his billions in that manner. His contributions to GDP and economy are large but the money mostly flows into his family’s and shareholders pockets and still does (Formosa is the most profitable company in Taiwan). I don’t really see what the hell he or his family have done for Taiwan. I don’t see any parks, cities, built by him. I know he built some advanced hospitals and they are good but they are all for profit. His companies have caused and continue to cause massive pollution to Taiwan. Having come back from a weekend in Kaoshiung last weekend I found out they had built these great bike paths, then found out the reason nobody was riding that day, the pollution in the air meant we could hardly see a km ahead of us and it wasn’t very comfotable breathing in the toxic soup (which I assume is mostly from the oilrefinery in Kaoshiung, although state owned I’m sure some of it is linked to Formosa industries and he is trying to build a refinery in YunLin). He is a minnow compared to the Bill Gates and Buffet’s of this world! The only reason his companies are so profitable is they are getting subsidised energy from the state, duopoly status for processing oil in Taiwan and they avoid carbon and pollution tax by locating in Taiwan, SE Asia and China.

Perhaps you should be asking for your money back as you are an American citizen I guess.

Yeah, what HeadHoncho said.

Most Taiwanese I know at these companies are there at 8 am and leave at 9pm. They work on national holidays because they are ‘encouraged’ to. They also stay till everyone finishes on the last day of every month. There is more, but I have a plate of profiteroles to go and consume.

1. economic development was made (and is always necessarily so) at the cost of environmental damage. The extent to which damage was done (and not mitigated) in the name of economic progress seems to be the point of argument. same goes for employer-employer relations.

2. FPG may have created jobs, etc., but at the cost of health and environment. Those who benefited from jobs and a stronger Taiwan economy will think well of him. Those who were adversely affected by his industrial pollution will not.

3. personally, i think if he was so frugal (ie cared mostly about his achievements), why not give back to the nation by:
    a. doing environmental cleanup
    b. creating charitable foundations
    c. donate his wealth like the Buffets and Gates of this world.

if not, then he’s more or less the same as the JP Morgans, Rockefellers and Carnegies of this world. (arguably, the latter 2 do donate a lot).

[quote=“headhonchoII”]
I’ve worked for numerous Taiwanese companies over the years. I have to call your writing it for what it is, complete BS. Almost all workers start in any company in Taiwan at around 20-25k/mth. With many years of experience your pay might rise to 30k-40k at most. The pay rate is now the worst for 28 years! For somebody with no degree you would be lucky to get 20,000k/mth rising to 25k/mth after 10 years of so. Perhaps you should be asking for your money back as you are an American citizen I guess.[/quote]

Again, this shows your unfamiliarity with the working conditions of many Taiwanese. I don’t doubt that many people in Taiwan make this wage, but just as many people with no experience and education make a lot more than this. Since you are inferring that I am a liar, I am confirming that my wife indeed made a lot more than this when she started her job working as an office xiaojie secretary in a firm that sold medicine to hospitals. She started with 30,000 (after a few months it was raised to 35,000. In 2007, she received a 9 month bonus, and was given some really nice parting gifts. One of the things she loved most about this company was the 7 hour working hours each day. The company didn’t expect overtime of its wages.

Taiwan, like any other country, doesn’t have a uniform set of wages which it applies to everyone starting new jobs. Sure, there are wage levels that can be used as guidelines, but you can find positions that are above theese standars levels. If you prove your worth to the company and they like you, the sky is the limit.

[quote=“Chewycorns”][quote=“headhonchoII”]
I’ve worked for numerous Taiwanese companies over the years. I have to call your writing it for what it is, complete BS. Almost all workers start in any company in Taiwan at around 20-25k/mth. With many years of experience your pay might rise to 30k-40k at most. The pay rate is now the worst for 28 years! For somebody with no degree you would be lucky to get 20,000k/mth rising to 25k/mth after 10 years of so. Perhaps you should be asking for your money back as you are an American citizen I guess.[/quote]

Again, this shows your unfamiliarity with the working conditions of many Taiwanese. I don’t doubt that many people in Taiwan make this wage, but just as many people with no experience and education make a lot more than this. Since you are inferring that I am a liar, I am confirming that my wife indeed made a lot more than this when she started her job working as an office xiaojie secretary in a firm that sold medicine to hospitals. She started with 30,000 (after a few months it was raised to 35,000. In 2007, she received a 9 month bonus, and was given some really nice parting gifts. One of the things she loved most about this company was the 7 hour working hours each day. The company didn’t expect overtime of its wages.

Taiwan, like any other country, doesn’t have a uniform set of wages which it applies to everyone starting new jobs. Sure, there are wage levels that can be used as guidelines, but you can find positions that are above theese standars levels. If you prove your worth to the company and they like you, the sky is the limit.[/quote]

What are you talking about? The sky is the limit, what’s that mean? I’m giving you figures, you are telling me about one example, your wife. Nobody gets a bonus of 9 MONTHS as an office xiaojie, in fact they are lucky to get a bonus at all! I can tell you very very few workers in Taiwan could have got the deal your wife got and noticeably she is not working there anymore (for whatever reason I can’t claim to know).
The only job (apart from being a manager with massive amount of experience and weekends put in for year) that pays well sometimes is sales and I think that is what she was doing and maybe she has a natural talent and can deal with the tough conditions in sales here and they had a good year for whatever reason. Medical is very unusual in Taiwan because it doesn’t always require overtime (I know I work in the medical field), however the pay level is still very low, in general office xiaojies in medical field get paid between 25-32k/mth.

You are trying to make out the conditions in Taiwan are like this or that but you are giving the lie to the situation, the situation being very different for 95%+ of workers here.

[quote=“Chewycorns”][quote=“headhonchoII”]

Taiwan, like any other country, doesn’t have a uniform set of wages which it applies to everyone starting new jobs. Sure, there are wage levels that can be used as guidelines, but you can find positions that are above theese standars levels. If you prove your worth to the company and they like you, the sky is the limit.[/quote]

Hmm as a former people manager in Taiwan…I smell BS. Those starting salaries are about the norm, but only if you have a degree from a top university. The raise after a few months in normal when you come off of probation, but 5k is not the norm. Usually about 3k. The pen and the ties is the usual BS gifts for employee favored by the boss, (check they were not AAA bought in China). Nine months when you leave is pure BS even if you’re getting sacked, (STD is one month for every year worked). However, this being Formosa Plastic, many HR processes are likely non-standard, possibly your wife has some connections.

[quote=“Elegua”][quote=“Chewycorns”][quote=“headhonchoII”]

Hmm as a former people manager in Taiwan…I smell BS. Those starting salaries are about the norm, but only if you have a degree from a top university. The raise after a few months in normal when you come off of probation, but 5k is not the norm. Usually about 3k. The pen and the ties is the usual BS gifts for employee favored by the boss, (check they were not AAA bought in China). Nine months when you leave is pure BS even if you’re getting sacked, (STD is one month for every year worked). However, this being Formosa Plastic, many HR processes are likely non-standard, possibly your wife has some connections.[/quote]

I never said my wife worked for FP. I said she worked for a small SME medical company that sells drugs to hospitals. She has no degree, but she attended the local Catholic uni here for three years. Before we left Taiwan, she received 35000/month and a 9 month bonus for 2007, a particularly good year for that drug company. She receives very little remuneration compared to the sales people. And no, the ties and pens aren’t from China. :laughing:

Is this the norm for office workers at small companies? Probably no. But if you work hard and have a winning personality, anything is possible in countries such as the US and Taiwan. :bravo: And thank God there are countries such as these that reward hard work. :bravo:

Even better. This is an industry I know intimately. Unless there is some other angle of which you are not telling us…then that is double BS as reimbursement cuts have kept the pharma business in Taiwan in the dog house. Taiwan Pharma has some of the lowest profitability in the world. Not surprisingly, pharma reps and support staff make some of the lowest renumeration in the healthcare industry. So, what you say might be possible; but is highly unlikely and certainly not the industry norm.

It’s the truth. :laughing: I couldn’t really care as the salary (35,000) is still small to a foreigner. But it is quite good for a person without an education. And the bonus for 2007 rocked. Other years, it wasn’t so good. The company has distribution rights for a drug used to treat a certain blood disorder.

You need to provide a warning if you are going to write something that makes people drop what they are holding.

Sir it would appear that wherever your wife worked was an exception rather than a rule. I am happy for you that your experiences have provided you with a good impression of the Taiwanese at work but you should really delve deeper. Taiwan is a country that exploits the worker. I just wish there were more Taiwanese females on this site to provide you with testimonies. Exploitation, working through the night for days at a time, ridiculous deadlines, team crushing exercises, even exclusion from promotion for the most arbitrary of reasons are all common practices. I had a friend sacked from Hwa-ya (a subsidiary of Forumosa Plastics) for talking to a prospective new employee who then decided not to take the job. The boss decided that the employee must have slurred the company to the candidate and out she went. And don’t start with anything ridiculous about the law because she wouldn’t have a chance.

Your example is of a really lucky person in my experience. The norm is actually a much much bleaker picture.

Mike said: [quote]Your example is of a really lucky person in my experience. [/quote]

I don’t think most people would describe Chewy’s wife as lucky! :wink: :slight_smile:

I don’t think most people would describe Chewy’s wife as lucky! :wink: :slight_smile:[/quote]

Proof of karmic retribution?

Digging up this thread (itself quite the read) to draw attention to Donovan Smith’s latest piece at Ketagalan Media, this time on how Formosa Plastics and its various plants around the world have turned “Formosa” into a dirty word:

Guy

1 Like

:bomb::bomb::bomb:

1 Like

Hahaha, good catch. Now edited.

Guy

1 Like