Taiwan's timezone sucks

Probably got passed in one and not taken up in the other or something. It’s constantly batted about but never gets done for some reason.

It’s funny that you complained about Taiwan’s timezone then posted a picture showing that Taiwan’s timezone is exactly right for its location (aka white on the map).

2 Likes

I love it as well. Get up early in the morning and go to bed around 10 or 11 pm.

1 Like

Yeah, 18 hours of daylight is pretty rad, until it becomes 8

2 Likes

In northern Finland the sun goes down end of November and doesn’t come back up until mid January. I always had a really had time with the winter darkness back home.

For taiwan though in prefer early morning instead of late beings so +8 is good.

I used to think that timezones in East Asia suck, but now that I’m facing the prospect of working remotely from here for a US company, having to wake up at 4am to work on US afternoon hours seems much more manageable given that twilight occurs around 4-5am.

govts response : ma fan.

1 Like

Do you also love finish working and realising you cannot do any day time activity anymore?

I don’t know, I’d love to go to the beach after work, for example.

4 Likes

Well, where it “should be” if we insist on sticking with a literal representation of the current time, rather than a practical one.

I am jobless right now :frowning: . So my day is filled with whatever I want to do. That’s another reason why I love the time zone. Ha!

As someone from Minnesota, where it gets dark at damn near 10pm in the summer, I agree with all of this. But, counterpoint. The early sunset might be better here because it’s just so hot. Took our kids to parks multiple times in the evenings this summer, and the parks were always packed, 7, 8pm. Everyone waited until the sun went down because again, it’s just damn hot. So maybe the early sunset is a way for people to actually enjoy some time outside during the summer?

3 Likes

But because the sun rises way too early, that just forces everyone to wake up much earlier, negating the effects. It’s bright as day at 5.30.

I thought about this a lot since my early days in Taiwan and IMHO I’d say it’s not the time zone issue but rather a general lifestyle issue here in Taiwan that makes the “early” sunset a problem…

Back home we like to start work early (some freaks come to office as early as 6am), but usually majority of office workers starts 7-8, lunch break is max. 30 mins and included in your 8hrs working time, and we rarely do overtime, so the latest you leave office is 16:00, so except of winter months, that still gives you couple hours of sun to enjoy during the workday. In general it’s promoted to start your work/school as early as possible and finish as early as possible so you maximize the rest of the free time during the day for you to enjoy. People brag about who starts and finishes the earliest etc.

Compared to Taiwan where first people start showing in the office at 9… and then you still have this mandatory 1hr lunch break in the middle, and of course most of the people still do overtime after 18:00, so they literally end up wasting the entire daylight by staying in the office.
What I’ve personally noticed, it’s also easier to stay and do overtime since it’s dark already and the day is “wasted” anyway…

My office is on full flex schedule and we don’t need to overtime… yet majority of people still work 9-18 so if I want to cooperate with them, my day is mostly wasted anyway and I’m not encouraged to start the day at 6 or 7. Working with Europe doesn’t help as well, so I’ve already accepted that Mon - Fri I won’t really enjoy any sunlight if I want to work office job here.

Finally, most of the Taiwanese still have to pretend that work is the single most important thing you do in your life, and you live to work, so I don’t blame them, that they want to slack off in the morning and come to office as late as possible, if they know that they will have to pretend in front of their boss/co-workers and stay late in the afternoon anyway…

4 Likes

Hmm, this comment would go great in that other thread. :black_heart:

This is what I see so much in TW. Sad but true :(.

1 Like

Who the f wants to get up that early? I get up at 9 something every day and I find that painful enough lol.

Most people would rather start late and finish late then start early and finish early. Nobody cares about the sun.

2 Likes

Put otherwise, if you like the sun, then get up at 5:00 am and enjoy it, perhaps along with the masses of elderly dancing and exercising in the cities. Who knows what kinds of friends you could make!

Guy

3 Likes

Aversion to direct sunlight is rather common in Asia

1 Like

Yeah and all the “white skin” craze they have here. I also don’t like tanning but there are days I am skipping lunch just to stay that 1 hour outdoors and enjoy this beautiful yellow ball on the sky. Being from the place where we jokingly say that 10 months a year it’s “November”, I enjoy every ray of sun I can get and I would never ever complain that it’s too hot or too sunny or the day is too long (had a Taiwanese friend visited me back home during summer and complained that she is tired because it’s already 20:00 and it’s still daylight…)

Don’t make things personal please.