Taiwan's Winter Olympics 'uniforms" so ugly and made in Japan by Japan's sports company Mizuno: WTF?

chinapost.com.tw/taiwan/national … utfits.htm

See the photo to see it all: a pic = 1000 words
chinapost.com.tw/photos/defa … 0240&GRP=B

What was the ROC committee thinking? Or drinking? Or smoking? Laughingstock of the world once again. Way to go, MOFA!

Olympics outfits a matter of taste: CTOC

The China Post, not original reporting but translated from a Chinese-language newspaper in Taipei
February 10, 2014

TAIPEI, Taiwan – The Chinese Taipei Olympic Committee (CTOC, 中華奧林匹克委員會) responded to online criticism of the outfits worn by Taiwan’s delegates to the Sochi Winter Olympics yesterday, with CTOC Secretary-General Chen Kuo-yi (陳國儀) saying that different people have different standards and senses of beauty, and the CTOC respects criticism and opinions from people.

Chen’s remark came after the Taiwan delegation to the Sochi Winter Olympics was criticized by a Yahoo Sports columnist as the “worst dressed team” at the Opening Ceremony.

The article on Yahoo Sports described the outfits of the Chinese Taipei team, the Republic of China’s official designation at many international sporting events, saying “these floor-length coats are neither practical nor attractive, unless of course you’re planning on doing some house painting or joining a cult for the winter.”

In response, Chen said it is not possible to have everyone’s appreciation for the outfit’s design, noting that the CTOC respects differing opinions and will seek improvements in the future.

According to the Central News Agency, the Taipei team’s blue outfits during the Opening Ceremony were sponsored by the Mizuno Corporation.

The Japanese corporation responded that the frocks were imported from Japan as the factory in Taiwan does not produce this outfit. The firm said it will communicate with the CTOC to improve the design in the future.

Chen said the Chinese Taipei team has limited funds, so the design of the outfit was not to attract people’s attention, stressing that the CTOC really appreciates the team’s corporate sponsors. In other words, former colonial ruler Japan screws Taiwan again!

As long as it’s distinctly different from whatever China is wearing, that’s all that matters I guess.

The speed skating uniform is just as bad (or worse).

At least they managed to get 5 Rings on their Flag :bravo:

I was surprised Taiwan even sent anyone. Winter Olympics and Taiwan in the same sentence? Even Summer Olympics, Taiwan rarely places.

I had the same WTF moment when I saw their uniforms too. I thought, how does that represent Taiwan at all?

The Taiwanese sent industrial cleaners to the Olympics and they got mistaken for Olympic athletes.

Expectations were low so nobody noticed the difference. Besides it was so cold only desperate Taiwanese would apply for the job.

They might make nifty rain jackets.

I had this moment two times: at first the outfit of Germany and then Taiwan.
ftw.usatoday.com/2014/02/germany … -ceremony/

ftw.usatoday.com/2014/02/germany … -ceremony/[/quote]

Germany’s outfits are cool as heck! And I see nothing wrong with Taiwan’s outfits, either. Honestly, who gives a shit what some asshole on Yahoo! thinks of the fashion statement of Olympic team outfits?

Taiwan has been going to Japan for uniform, logo and mascot design for years. Because as long as the organizer or team goes to Japanese designers, they can’t be faulted for not trying hard enough. It all started with this team:

This defunct Macoto Cobras team was known for its “uniform design” and “logo design”. Actually it was just a black and white a pin stripe, but the rest of the league;s uniforms are so ugly, this draw a lot of fans for the cobras back in the days.

Macoto went to a Japanese designer named Bravis. From then on, everyone has to goto Japan for “design”. However, the results are not always instant classics. It could be that some Japanese designers just don’t give a frak about some Taiwanese team’s design, but it’s more likely that Taiwanese sports organizers and team owners make horrible design customers. They impose all these ridiculous color and design restrictions, essentially forcing the design to look just like what they’ve had before.

Horrible Horrible Examples:

but those designed by Taiwanese designers seems to end up even worse…

gotta love the crotch ad patches…

ftw.usatoday.com/2014/02/germany … -ceremony/[/quote]

Germany’s outfits are cool as heck! And I see nothing wrong with Taiwan’s outfits, either. Honestly, who gives a shit what some asshole on Yahoo! thinks of the fashion statement of Olympic team outfits?[/quote]

Germany’s outfits feels more Taiwan… their pants looks like a straight copy of traditional Hakka patterns.

CLEARLY the Taiwanese athletes are wearing their uniforms under the blue coats, which they have only because their mothers were afraid they would catch a cold. But where are their face masks???

there weren’t allowed to wear masks due to Russian security regulations.

there weren’t allowed to wear masks due to Russian security regulations.[/quote]

…and to avoid the problems of the gender verification which they had in the 2012 London games :slight_smile:

Long rain coats are a perfect winter coat for Taiwan. What’s the problem? Every one can keep dry on their scooter.

They should have worn rain ponchos and blue and white flip flops, now THAT would have been representative of Taiwan.

They should have ridden in on scooters.

They should have worn coats whose hoods have little tiger ears, so they look like little tigers.

I think this would have looked less ridiculous…One Banana…