Take action against Taiwan bank tax residency tax certificates

Thanks for pushing along with this. But it’s not only about some customers needing a TIN for their passport country, but also the fact that their passport countries appear at all on these certificates (along with “NOTIN”, which I think is not how banks are supposed to be using that code).

This is what Richart/Taishin came up with back at the start of this year if I remember correctly, and it’s how they’ve treated my withholding tax certificates so far. They asked four times during the application process whether I’m really only tax resident in Taiwan, and then decided “oh, he’s probably tax resident in the UK anyway”.

Are they intending to fix that too? It’s not clear to me from what you wrote if the proposed solution just means removing TINs when they shouldn’t be there for foreign customers only tax resident in Taiwan.

This would just mean their forms appear the same as mine are now, i.e., still indicating tax residency in the passport country just without a TIN, which is pretty much what started this discussion in the first place and the thing we weren’t happy with…

1 Like