Take action against Taiwan bank tax residency tax certificates

It’s sad but it is the reality and you hear similar stories every year

1 Like

One of the reasons I battled to get cards and loans in my own name was twofold. First I was not going to play well let’s just use my wife’s name and second I wanted things done in my name. I got loans and credit cards in the 1990’s on my ARC. I never said it was easy just that it was possible. All the things people on this forum have claimed was impossible I did in the early 1990’s. Taiwan drivers license in 1990, mortgage in 1991, Credit cards in 1994, car loan in 1996. On this forum all I got well you must be special then. No one else can do these things. Yet when poster Llary immigrated here he wrote from 2006 how to open a business, how to get a mortgage, car loan credit card as a foreigner with no local spouse. Again the woe is me crowd just kept posting it’s all too difficult.

Now people complain that since I became a citizen I am not out there stumping for the foreigner woe is me crowd.

2 Likes

I loved it when they tell me that. I can answer but I am home. Living in the country I am a citizen of.

1 Like

Quite frankly if I were in your shoes I’d say… “well f’ em. They never did anything for themselves other than jump on forums and complain rather than file formal complaints or take any meaningful action.”

If foreigners on here were actually taking meaningful action these last 20 years we wouldn’t be in this mess.

I took meaningful action over 25 years ago. I stopped being a foreigner. Oh what a joyful experience that was but that is for another thread. Stateless for over 9 months.

It’d be awesome if you made that story a stand-along thread.

I’d read it! :popcorn:

Guy

1 Like

I already did. By doing all the things they would tell me was impossible, a decade or more earlier. I had already done things they said were impossible to do as a foreigner.

its all in the citizenship thread started by cooling tower on how to get citizenship here. Someone who contacted me privately then wrote a post on the process, which required renunciation before you even got ROC nationality. Good thing you only renounce now after becoming a Taiwan national. But it’s was like loans and tax residency being a tax non resident in other countries… all too difficult lol

You can see what can be done. For example the ubikes in Taipei… but it seems that foreigners in Taiwan care more about riding a bicycle around the park than being able to easily apply for a mortgage on a first home.

2 Likes

Maybe that’s because the down payment on a ubike they have the money for?

3 Likes

yeah, tbh the amount of action and engagement for bicycles astonishes me, while getting royally screwed over for taxes, banks, phones, etc…

This shows priorities (not everyone ofc, there are still some working on making this place better)

1 Like

Taiwan has been much better for your presence sir.

3 Likes

Also relevant here, but I posted it in the Richart thread.

2 Likes

They listed me as ZZ

1 Like

That’s weird. We must have gone through the same procedure (being asked 4 times) though, no? Or did you apply before they started doing that?

Is there something different about your situation, like having an APRC? Or maybe it’s just something the branches did differently? I definitely didn’t sign any CRS forms this time around.

I do have an APRC, a Taiwanese daughter and told them that I am naturalizing soon.

I was one of the very first to apply.

1 Like

I wonder if this might be it then.

It shouldn’t make a difference here though, given that asking us four times to confirm we’re only tax resident in Taiwan suggests they’re at least aware of the possibility that foreigners can be only tax resident in Taiwan…

1 Like

I have an APRC. And they do not list “ZZ”.

1 Like

Hmmm. Luck of the draw then?

I guess I’ll be calling them to complain later in the week when I have time, or maybe just visit my local Taishin. Still haven’t heard anything else back from CTBC though.

Not going to do much mate, u can complain howbmuch u want but banks’ hands r tied until the tax bureau doesn’t change the interpretation of art 7 of the income tax act. Which is ehat I appealed the control yuan for.

So sit tight and hope my appeal goes through.

5 Likes