Taking action against Taiwan's definition of domicile/residence relating to foreigners

sorry folks, travelling now… can’t scan it. you can merge the jpg files in pdf if u want. no sensitive data r left

1 Like

just to mention, for the Italians to move this quick it means that there is ground, usually our diplomats r slackers. I expect more civilised public services like Germany or UK to be even more attentive and active. Also Australia, @justintaiwan has the Oz office contacted you yet?

I made a PDF. Here for others to use it:
https://nc.uni-bremen.de/s/Km3SBxicrmWWMxp

Another version not resizing pages to DIN A4 size without white margins:
https://nc.uni-bremen.de/s/MmBoKXcw5ER95WW

3 Likes

Nope

Interesting that Taiwan won’t enforce its own law so we have to get our countries to do it

5 Likes

I’ve e-mailed the British Office Taipei.

Maybe @BigDave wants to join the fight as well? :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Shouldn’t have pressed like. :joy: I can send an email. I’m not sure what proof I have. I did make a copy of the false CRS form union bank made me sign.It is……somewhere

5 Likes

any tax withholding from from banks showing the interest paid to u with the tax withheld shown will show you as non resident and still (most likely) GB/UK in tax residence or ZZ at best, that’s now what it should be, they should put TWN instead!

Even withholdings from your paycheck, since usually companies here for foreigners they withhold 20% from the paycheck every month until the 6 months residency

1 Like

I didn’t send any proof to start with. I think the point here is to bring it to their attention for them to consider looking into.

I did link to @Mataiou’s post above, because I pressed send before @slawa compiled everything, and explained a bit about the problem and its implications.

Yes, you shouldn’t have pressed like. :grin:

2 Likes

@BigDave it doesn’t cost a penny, and in the worst case nothing will came out of it, in the best scenario, we will make a very positive change for all foreigners here for good!

1 Like

It’s funny how the taxman assumes you are resident and the banks want to assume you are not.

Except it’s not really funny …oh well.

3 Likes

actually, at least here in TW, taxman always assumes you are not resident until you demonstrate you are, and banks follow suit.

Hence, all the shitshow

1 Like

Well you are right I guess the taxman may ssume you are always a non resident but still ding you like a resident. It’s a bit weird.
Thankfully I have not had to deal with that for a very long time. One of the benefits of filing together as a family.

3 Likes

I just received a response from @Mataiou’s suggested contact at the British Office Taipei. She said it was the first time she’d heard about this issue and thanked me for bringing it to her attention and for the efforts me and other foreign nationals have been taking to try and address it.

She forwarded it to the deputy head of mission and several colleagues in the economic, political, and trade and investment sections and said they’d look into it to see if there’s anything they can do and get back to me in the new year. (And she sounded serious, not like the way the FSC looks into things.)

So good idea from @Mataiou for us to try this approach!

Does anybody from any other countries want to have a go too? We’ve got at least one Canadian and at least one Irishman in this thread, by my count. :grin:

5 Likes

I mean, for the Italians to move that fast it means we are onto something.

@justintaiwan has the Australian office replied to you? @slawa have you sento/heard back from the German office?

I can even forward this to the EU office.

2 Likes

Indeed, it seems the Italians have been the fastest so far. Maybe there’s something about them disliking taxes… :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

we hate taxes, especially italian taxes haha.

3 Likes

ireland does not have a representative office here, not even a chamber of commerce! but the deputy head of the EU office in TW is Irish if I remember well.

@Marco pls try to send a message to the canadian office about this

2 Likes

I was thinking about @afterspivak too. I think it’s time to get him to join the complaining club!

2 Likes

@afterspivak man pls, I implore you, help us on this. No need for Chinese or facing TW bureaucracy, it’s ur office haha. I’ll buy u a very fancy coffee cup haha

1 Like

Try to send a message also to the Australian chamber of commerce in TW!

1 Like