Taking action against Taiwan's definition of domicile/residence relating to foreigners

Why not the Australia Office?

he already sent it seems.

An update: I also sent a complaint to the EU office and wrote to the british chamber of commerce (I am a member there).

Need to get as much pressure as possible!

2 Likes

They received my message last Thursday.
I don’t think there will be any news before next year. It has to go through the appropriate channels and next week is public holiday for most Germans.

A different inquiry about passports was replied to after a day.

2 Likes

well, I guess it might take indeed some time to be reviewed, let’s wait after the holidays indeed! Danke!

What exactly are you asking me for? There are so many issues and cases being discussed on this board I’ve lost track of the exact topic. :joy:

Guy

sure mate, I appreciate your interest, I really do!

Write to the canadian office that the current practice of tw tax bureaus of never considering canadian nationals, even APRCs holders such as yourself, as domiciled in TW and hence never considered truly tax resident in the country. This is against section 4 of the ARRANGEMENT BETWEEN THE TAIPEI ECONOMIC AND CULTURAL OFFICE
IN CANADA AND THE CANADIAN TRADE OFFICE IN TAIPEI FOR THE AVOIDANCE OF DOUBLE TAXATION AND THE PREVENTION OF FISCAL EVASION WITH RESPECT TO TAXES ON INCOME (this is the official title) as it is very clear how to determine where the domicile, residence and centre of vital interests are located for foreigners with resident permits allowing them to reside for more than 1 yr in TW.

2 Likes

CC to @Marco and @lostinasia on this point.

Guy

1 Like

Don’t play coy, Guy. :stuck_out_tongue:

I’m sure your reading comprehension and familiarity with Forumosa are good enough to figure out what we’re talking about. You’ve been here long enough to start making an effort to complain and try to improve things. :wink:

Did you just point to some other Canadians and say “not it”? :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

1 Like

I’ve been here long enough to hear lots of complaints, hence my question to clarify which complaint we are discussing here and now. :upside_down_face:

Guy

2 Likes

You just need to scroll to the posts immediately above to understand what we’re discussing, and you know that. Again, don’t play coy. :stuck_out_tongue:

If you’re not willing to do it and want to leave it to others to try and resolve this issue (which affects you too), you can just say that. All that’s being asked of you here is to send an e-mail, it’s not a big confrontation.

1 Like

Your hectoring on this topic makes me less inclined to participate.

It’s a good thing that @Mataiou sweetened the offer with a coffee. :slightly_smiling_face:

Guy

1 Like

Man, just keep it within us. Talk to me, ignore others. We can have a chat off the thread if I want.

1 Like

In the past 15 minutes I’ve tried to read a big chunk of this thread, and understood a little of it, and am wondering if this is an issue I’ve ever encountered. Certainly not knowingly.

Anyway, I’ve reached the limits of my procrastination on other tasks I’m avoiding, although if I remember I’ll try to look into this again when the end-of-semester duststorm settles in a few weeks.

3 Likes

I wouldn’t call it “hectoring”, but yes, I find it a bit frustrating that you pretend not to be able to figure out the topic of conversation when all you need to do is scroll a few posts up (I even quoted my previous post in my first post today - it should be entirely clear what we’re discussing), and that you previously weren’t even willing to complain about credit card stuff that directly affects you.

This isn’t about me, and I find that attitude just as silly. These are issues that affect all foreigners living here, including you, and I think you support, at least in principle or on a theoretical level, the concept that discrimination is undesirable. If you can’t be bothered doing anything about it yourself, or don’t want to for whatever other reason, just don’t - it’s your call. This particular thing is not a big ask IMO, and it entails zero confrontation unlike the credit card stuff. As you pointed out, there are other Canadians and other countries. Maybe you can still get some benefit without doing anything, if the issues eventually get resolved.

I ain’t bribing you with a coffee. @Mataiou can if he likes!

I Will for sure have a coffee chat with my mate @afterspivak on this.

Still need to bring u to my fav café!

1 Like

Heck I’d even accept a cheap and sour espresso at one of the pizza joints in Taipei! Always appreciate your efforts and positive energy @Mataiou. I’ll do what I can to help.

Guy

2 Likes

nah man, not even to my worst enemy that!

3 Likes

I’ll submit something to the Canadian Taipei office in January once I’m back in Taiwan

Btw you can join their chamber of commerce for a fee if you have Canadian roots. It might be a better place to raise these issues to them: MEMBERSHIP - Canadian Chamber of Commerce in Taiwan

4 Likes

To your worst enemy, they get Tim Hortons (shudders)

I love Timmies!!! Haha