Taking Taiwan-born son to UK in 2 weeks. Help!

Hi all.
My son was born 3 months ago.
I’m going across to the UK for my sister’s wedding on 25th May.
Originally my wife (Taiwanese) and son weren’t going to join me, but all of a sudden my wife decided to get another plane ticket.

I’m British, so I know my son qualifies as British.

Problem here is time.

What are my best options? Is it going to just be easier to buy a visitor’s visa for him and use his Taiwanese passport?

Someone mentioned just turning up at Heathrow with him (with no Visa).

Anyone had a similar experience or have any ideas?

Remember, we only have 2 weeks.

Thanks,
Stu

I’d ring up the BTCO. I know a lot of people here think they’re incompetent, but i’ve found them pretty good on the standard stuff (passports, visas etc.).

Have you registered your sons birth in the UK yet? If so, they might be able to rush through a passport for him …

When my son was born, I registered his birth at the same time as I applied for his passport (which is how they recommend you do it), so it took more than 2 weeks to go through.

Hi David.
Thanks for the reply.
No, he’s not registered, and we’ve just started looking into that.

Unfortunately, like I said, there was no plan to take him across till at least Christmas, then suddenly plans were completely changed and I was told afterwards.

Basically without him being registered, none of his papers here will mean anything to the British authorities, right? Not even the English language version of his birth certificate?

I guess it’s not the end of the world if we have to pay for a visa like for any Taiwanese citizen going to the UK. It’s just that since he’s British too…

[quote=“irishstu”]Hi David.
Thanks for the reply.
No, he’s not registered, and we’ve just started looking into that.

Unfortunately, like I said, there was no plan to take him across till at least Christmas, then suddenly plans were completely changed and I was told afterwards.

Basically without him being registered, none of his papers here will mean anything to the British authorities, right? Not even the English language version of his birth certificate?

I guess it’s not the end of the world if we have to pay for a visa like for any Taiwanese citizen going to the UK. It’s just that since he’s British too…[/quote]

He will not be making it on a UK passport, no enough time, in total to validate the birth, then apply for the passport etc takes some 4 to 6 weeks as everything has to go through HK, and that is assuming you have everything to hand immediately anyway.

Get a visa for him to travel on his Taiwan passport, easiest way out at this stage.

Thanks Traveller.
Yeah, I kind of thought that might be the answer. Oh well, at least the Taiwanese passport is an option. Only takes 5 days too.

Thanks for the info.
Stu

I registered my boys at the UK office. That gets you a UK birth certificate and an NI number from any UK doctor. Used Hsu and Hsu to do that. Then applied for visas here using Taiwan passport and UK birth certificate