Tamarind fresh, paste or bottled?

Where in the Taipei area can I buy Tamarind Juice/Syrup?

I have found Tamarind paste in local supermarkets on the Thai shelves.

This tells you how to convert it to juice or syrup.

theepicentre.com/Spices/tamarind.html

Thanks Alleycat I will take a look at stores like Wellcome and the like.

Wellcome doesn’t have it anymore, they also used to have a lot of Thai products, but they said that was only a week’s special a few years ago, I have also checked other grocery stores and no luck. Any other ideas? Somewhere in Nan Shi Jiao have it?

Chi Shan Station(the one in Tienmou) as u walk out of the station, make a left(theres only one exit) and walk toward Carrefour. Along the side of the MRT station there is a vietnamese grocery store DIEM QUYEN(big RED sign). They stock just about everything u could ever need to prepare a SE Asian feast. Definitely have Tamarind in the form of huge pressed blocks. Just add hot water and strain.

goodluck

-chris

Try a different Wellcome. They don’t have a uniform stocking policy. There’s a Wellcome near me in Hsintien that has it.

Thanks Sandman, what you say doesn’t surprise me, I will try a few others and see what I can find aside from the store in Tiamu.

Not sure if you knew from this but i did see it the other day in the tienmu grocery (the block). hurry because he’s closing down for good this july “sniff sniff”

You’re kidding?! Tiamu grocery store is closing down for good?!! Why?! I’ll have to run up there not only for the Tamarind but also for other goodies!

anybody know where to get some tamarind (fresh, paste or bottled) in taipei? i have been looking for months…

i know it exists in taiwan because i have eaten at a couple of pretty good thai restaurants but they can’t tell me (or won’t )… seems the stuff should grow here anyway, the climate is right.

people have suggested a web site from a thai food importer in taipei county, but they have no tamarind either.

some decent limes would be nice too :wink:

Yes, I’ve seen it at Golden Eagle, one of the Southeast Asian grocery stores on HuaXin St. (華新街 the Burmese street) near the Nanshijiao MRT station. I believe it’s #34 HuaXin St. You might also be able to find it at one of the Indonesian cafeteria/markets on 2nd floor of the Taipei Train Station.

here ya go bossman

forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopi … highlight=

thanks y’all

Note: I’m posting this here to consolidate info on tamarind sightings, as they are spread throughout various fora.

Tamarind paste – the sightings

Liz_Taipei: [quote]at Taipei Main Station… spot the East 3 Gate, then climb up the stairs. On your left hand side is this grocery store that doubles as a cafeteria. It’s by no means elegant, but it’s cheap and it is REALLY spicy….The store also sells an aray of Indonesian snacks such as: all the shrimp paste you can dream of, shrimp crackers, chili sauces (with or without shrimp), instant seasoning mixes in intriguing flavors (Sambal Goreng Ati, gizzards in coconut sauce and gravy, Rendang, Curry…), powdered coconut milk, tamarind paste, gado gado mix, soursop drink.[/quote]

p: [quote]in central Taipei, then Breeze is a good bet. They always have several of the following: (though not always at the same time) lemon grass, kaffir leaves, Thai ginger, red onion, tamarind and other stuff.[/quote]

Chris: [quote]I’ve seen it at Golden Eagle, one of the Southeast Asian grocery stores on HuaXin St. (華新街 the Burmese street) near the Nanshijiao MRT station. I believe it’s #34 HuaXin St. You might also be able to find it at one of the Indonesian cafeteria/markets on 2nd floor of the Taipei Train Station.[/quote]

Sandman mentioned that some Wellcome’s carry it.

mungacious: [quote]Chi Shan Station(the one in Tianmu) as u walk out of the station, make a left(theres only one exit) and walk toward Carrefour. Along the side of the MRT station there is a vietnamese grocery store DIEM QUYEN(big RED sign). They stock just about everything u could ever need to prepare a SE Asian feast. Definitely have Tamarind in the form of huge pressed blocks. Just add hot water and strain.[/quote]

Loretta mentioned Trinity Super Stores, 2 / F, NO : 137, Zhongxiao East Road,
Sec 5, Taipei,Taiwan. MRT station : Taipei City Hall MRT Station,Exit # 4, Two Minutes straight walking. TEL: + 886 2 27567992 , FAX :+ 886 2 27568042

I (DB) also saw tamarind paste at Trinity just last week. To use in food (i.e., to convert to juice), steep in hot water. As it cools you can work through it with your fingers to dissolve the pulp from between the seeds and fibers, then strain it.