Taobao Taiwan to "end" this year. What does it mean exactly?

I couldn’t quite figure out what it would mean for my account there. I often use it to order things and I often make use of their “consolidation” service where they pack all the orders up together in the SF Express warehouse I believe.

The company said that it had decided to stop taking new orders before noon yesterday ahead of going offline on Dec. 31, and had also closed down some other functions on its Web site, which was launched in September last year.

I just made an order a few days ago and had no issues though, perhaps it’s because I don’t browse the “Taiwan” version of the website while still maintaining a “Taiwan” account? Any more info welcomed!!

I guess the local sales lobby put enough pressure on the government to end the purchase of cheap products from China. I have an aliexpress account and I have not found one seller of goods I buy willing to ship to Taiwan. Even most sellers on Ebay from China will ship anywhere, even Azerbaijan but Taiwan gets blocked.

Taobao China is fine, you can still order from there

Taobao Taiwan is a separate app and platform

1 Like

That’s not true.

Taobao denied was connected to Alibaba and getting money or technology from the Chinese company. It was found that they were.

That is the official reason, yes.

Really? I’ve always considered them one and the same.

You are saying that is not the actual reason? Do you have any Intel on that because I worked in Taiwanese retail and am close to this and have not heard anything otherwise and been following this all year

Just use Taobao China like most people in Taiwan

1 Like

Also, you can get cheap stuff from China from Shopee anyway, so it’s not that big of a deal. Plus they weren’t that popular.

1 Like

Taobao itself is super popular. Taobao Taiwan was a domestic outfit working competing locally and working with local distributor