Taoyuan: Palm Bali restaurant/lounge

PALM BALI 棕櫚 峇里 Art 藝術 Culture 人文 Nature 自然 Relaxation 悠閒
At long last there is a decent boutique restaurant in Taoyuan.

I was riding along a quiet street last week when I spotted the Bali Palm right next to the Monarch Plaza hotel, in Tong-An st. Last night I had a the pleasure I going there for a meal.

The first thing that strikes about the place is the Bali theme. The whole restaurant has been decorated with Balinese wooden shutters, Stone carvings, water features, cane furniture and candles.

Having been to Bali a couple of times myself (as in Bali Indonesia, not Bali Taipei County :slight_smile: ), this place is definitely in keeping.

The best deal on the menu (which is mostly bilingual) is on the first couple of pages. It’s a set menu of Bread, tapa’s, starters, soups, desserts and coffee/tea etc, from which you select what you would like, and then you chose the main to go with it which determines the price.
The prices are great. For example I chose a Peppered Ribeye Steak main to go with my meal, and all of the dishes were great - presentation and taste superb. The steak was cooked perfectly, and unlike typical taiwan restaurants, each pair of course dishes for the table came out together! The Steak was in the high end price-wise on the set menu, but at $480nt I felt it was brilliant.

Good selection of drinks.They also have seperate smoking/non-smoking floors. :slight_smile:

Here are some photos from the website listed on their card. I believe the place has been going for a few months now.

Contact details:
1F, 656 Tong-An St, Taoyuan City (next door to Monarch Plaza Hotel)
桃園市同安街656號一樓(尊爵大飯店後)
p 03-3172639
e palm.bali@gmail.com
w www.wretch.cc/blog/palmbali

click for map

Thanks for posting this review. I will try to make it out there soon. Did you see any Veggie dishes?

You know, I wasn’t really paying enough attention. Writing this review was a hindsight thing, so you might want to check yourself.

Hey, that’s right beside my apartment. Next time I go out there I will check the place out. And next time I advertise the place for rent I will mention “and it’s beside a great boutique restaurant.” :slight_smile:

There is a Vietnamese restaurant just a little up the road which is not bad either. Quite cheap.

BTW, have you ever been in the whiskey shop on jungjeng Road just a few blocks away? I saw it as I was takng a taxi to my place. Looked like a specialty shop for whiskeys and scotches.

i believe that they were going to open on chung chen road, down by the baseball batting cages, but changed? i remember seeing a sign for a building which was going up there, but didn’t see it the last time i got out to hit a few. wondered what happened …

maybe we’ll give it a shot next week.

Do they actually serve any Indonesian food?

if you can read chinese, this page might help
wretch.cc/blog/palmbali&article_id=4643353

whicky shop has a pretty good selection at not bad prices. decent to excellent cigars as well (last time i was there).

no jameson 12 year old though (where did it all go?)

Dont confuse this place with the huge/not too far away restaraunt on JungJen called (Ubud), near the cages I spend all my free time at. They sell over priced Thai food at Ubud. We thought it would be an Indonesian restaraunt with the name and all…But that’s not the case. As for the Vietnamese place that’s near the Monarch, I dropped in there and its way overpriced. There’s a great Vietnamese place in Nankan near Thai Mall. Cheap and excellent (if you can stand the noise from the KTV).

that’s what i was thinking of … at least now i know which place to waste my money at.

thanks for the clarification.

(when do you go to the batting cages?)

I have had 2 independent reports that this restaurant has been closed when friends have tried to go.

If anyone knows any info, it might be worth posting. It’s a shame if its shut down as it was a really nice spot.