Tap water - to drink or not to drink?

I got lazy last week and drank a couple glasses of water straight from the tap. No problems. I figured I’d get sick and learn my lesson or keep doing it until I got sick and learned my lesson. How come humans are such pussys? Animals can drink some malodorous sh!t.

malodorous? yucky. :bouncy:

Urgh, I’ve just read through this whole thread, trying to convince myself that what I’m going to do won’t kill me. I’ve got a rotten hangover, I’ve run out of bottled water and, bugger it, I’m also curious to know what happens if I drink the tap water for a while. If I get the shits, well, just have to make sure I drink more water than I’m crapping. Maybe my body can adapt?

If I never make another post, you can assume I’m dead.

I drank Taipei tap water for 6 months, and the only bad thing was the taste of chlorine. But that chlorine kills all the bad things in it, so there’s no need to worry about getting some nasty stomach problems. And if you want to know what exactly is in that water, then all you have to do, is to go to the nearest MRT station and read the paper that’s hanging on the wall next to the drinking fountains.

:rainbow:

When I got here 10 years ago, I tried drinking water from the tap. It was so heavily chlorinated that it gave me a sore throat. Recently I thought it was about time to give it another try. I was pleasantly surprised to find the water greatly improved. Since then I have been drinking unboiled tap water every day with no ill effect.

(Datong District, Taibei City)

Hmmm

Does anyone know anything about the quality of the tap water in Taoyuan?

I only drink bottled water from the supermarket but occasionally use tap water to boil pasta or to make oatmeal porridge…

Should I also filter the water?

The water has a smell that remotely resembles the chloride water from swimming pools. My backbone reaction to this is that maybe that water should not be near anything i put in my mouth…

[quote=“wolf_reinhold”]
I know a person who has been living here since 1991 and since he started drinking the water he has NEVER taken a single dump! Think of the savings on toilet paper! water! time on the crapper![/quote]

it’s all them G$Ddammed worms livin in him. I bet he’s bloated as all hell. :help:

Somewhat turbid after the last water debacle. Not very clear and in the southern part of the county it has a yellow tinge.

[quote=“ailixin”] I only drink bottled water from the supermarket but occasionally use tap water to boil pasta or to make oatmeal porridge…

Should I also filter the water?[/quote]

Grit won’t kill you. If you want cheap water, then get a few 5 gallon jugs, and then go to the gas station and buy water from them. Much cheaper.

If you boil the water you can still drink it. I have used water here for pasta and making coffee for 4 years without any ill effect.

So does the water in places, where everybody drinks the water stright off the tap. That should not worry you, and tap water is not less safe than much of the bottled water avilable, which is not filtered properly before put on bottles.

I use Volvic mineral water for drinking both hot and cold.
Although I guess this is not the cheapest way to go, otherwise is this a sure way to get clean water free from pollutnts and lead etc, but still containing minerals, unlike distilled water?
Let me know as I’m keen not to give myself heavy metal poisoning etc!

Thanks

I use the 5L Carrefoure brand water for $25NT, which is about $5NT/Litre, cheap and I think it tastes ok…

Right now in Panchiao county (W. Taipei), the water is gross. When I shower, it feels dirty, like my eyes feel like I got mud in them or something. When I turn on the hot water pipes, the first 5 seconds the water is brown…even the cold water if it has not been used for several hours.

I hope Carrefoure brand water is drinkable, I assume since they are such a big name brand Chain, they water would be reputable.->anyone care to rebunk this theory?

I think the problem is the water storage tank on top of your building and not so much the Banchiao tap water. Water tanks need regular cleaning. In my building, it’s cleaned every 6 months. Ask your building maintenance committee (or neighbors) about it. Maybe a thorough scrubbing is in order. You might also want to see if you need to replace your water heater.

Just spent NT$34,000 for a water filter today. I know that’s a shitload of money, but my wife initiated this purchase and I’ve been busy so I just let her go ahead and do it without looking into what she was getting or the price of it. She got this one because it’s the same kind her parents have down in Chiayi (Cosmic brand or something like that).

Although I still haven’t researched it online yet, it does appear to be pretty good. A ceramic filter (to block living organisms?), a carbon filter (to block chlorine?) and a magnetic device for some other purpose. The guy who installed it tested our tap water and it was heavily clorinated, but the filter water isn’t. As for Ph, he claims about 7.3 (slightly basic) is good and apparently that’s what this filter will give us.

Anyway, I’m not sure we needed this (previously we bought lots of huge containers of water, maybe 8 or 10 gal each, and would boil it), and it is pricey, but no matter. I’m happy with it and will now drink lots and lots of water, which is supposed to be good for one. I’ll let you know if I feel stronger, more energetic, re-grow lost hair or have other miraculous results. :slight_smile:

The cost of water should always be free.

Up here in Alishan we get our water from the mountain streams filtered thru the leaves and moss, rich in minerals, and really clear. :smiley: :smiley:

:astonished:

For that amount of money, it must be perfect.

If it’s any good, IE 5 micron hole size or so, then it will block out and will have to be replaced. i would go with a standard PP filter instead. The cartridges have the additional advantage of being very very cheap.

As far as I know, active carbon improves the taste and kills microorganizms. The cartridge should be NT$100 or so, when exporting those, I pay NT$20 for them, and NT$100 for a 3 stage filter housing.

Like emptying your vallet! :smiling_imp:

I have the same problem - my water is veyr clorinated and tastes like shite. After using my NT$1,400 brita filter on boiled water, I will get rid of the impurities and the taste of chlorine. I will often substitute with the horrible water from the CPC gas station. It’s said to be safe, and after a trip thru the brita, it tastes OK.

NT$35k??? Needed??? The actual difference between a NT$8k system and a NT$35k system is very small. unless you want ozonized ionized, and magnetized water.

Water can kill you if you drike too much. I would say that you should substitue a bit with beer - it is very clean after brewing, and it will help you forget the huge wad of cash you put into the new white elephant brand filter.

:notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

That’s why monks drink beer … and chinese drink tea … the water gets boiled in the process … anyway you’ll live long enough to remember you should never have drunk the water … :laughing:

Indeed, water can kill you … through germs it carries or heavy metal ( :saywhat: ) or just because you drank too much and messed up your body’s mineral balance :s

Yeaaaa, I’m sure we paid a lot more than we needed to. But it does look pretty fancy. Check it out:

That’s what it looks like inside the box. :slight_smile:

If that doesn’t impress the girls, I don’t know what will. :wink:

Not that that’s an issue anyway, as I’m married. Which is all the more reason this was a wise purchase. Sometimes when the wife says you NEED to buy something, you NEED to buy it. If it makes her happy, it’s worth the price. And besides, with all that shiny technology (made in US, UK, DE, except for the plastic box made in Taiwan), it’s got to be effective.

NT$200 in stainless steel tubing. Then some standard fillings behind all that… I will makeyou one for NT$10,000, and it will have much fancier screens, one for minutes, one for seconds, etc.

Too late. The guy already screwed it into the wall, took my money and left. Worse yet, I’ve already blown the good will with my wife that i paid so much for, as I just told her we probably got ripped off, so now I’m out NT$34k AND she’s pissed at me (of course, she knows that you’re wrong because her mother and sister use the same machine and they like it, so :raspberry: ). So at this point, it had better work miracles.