TARC + ROC ID Help Please!

Hi,

I plan to move to Taiwan to teach English, my mother is Taiwanese and still has Citizenship and I have a few questions.

1. My mother doesn’t have a household registry (as she’s lived overseas for 20+ years) but have family that does. Does she needed to be added to the registry before I can be added or am I able to be added on my own?

2. Alternatively can an acquaintance/employer add you to their registry or does it have to be a family member?

3. I’ve read conflicting things about TARC, some places say I will need a work permit while other places say as long as i renounce my current Citizenship I am allowed to work, are both correct or will I definitely need a work permit?

Thank you so much for your help, any extra information you might think will be useful please do share!

Some other forum members probably will answer your questions directly, but I certainly would not renounce citizenship as a prerequisite to teach English anywhere, especially if from a western country.

What is your timeline to hopefully get a job and begin teaching?

The below is just what I understand. It could be wrong, and it is better you contact to TECO in your country or NIA in Taiwan.

your mother need to visit ROC and activate her household registration. How old are you? If you are 20 or older, you cannot be just added to her registration. You need to stay here on TARC for a certain period before you are added to the household registration.

Added: I overlooked “have family that does” part. If the family is your lineal blood, you don’t need your mother’s household registry, to get your TARC.

if your employer get a work permit for you, you can get an ARC. You don’t need to be added to your mother’s household registration.

if you get your TARC as a child of your mother with an active household registration, I think you don’t need to get a work permit from your employer. You can get an open work permit. It is true that if a national without a household registration doesn’t have any other nationality, the person doesn’t need a work permit.

Notices for the Application of National Living Abroad without Registered Household in Taiwan Area for Residence in Taiwan Area
https://www.immigration.gov.tw/5475/5478/141465/141808/141954/

Employment Service Act

Article 79
The provisions of the Act regarding foreign workers shall be applicable to the employment of stateless persons as well as nationals of the Republic of China also possessing the nationality of foreign country(s) but with no permanent residence in the Republic of China.

After having left Taiwan for two years and the household registration office has completed the compulsory move-out registration, how do I recover household registration?

If you are under 20
海外出生兒童申請戶籍登記須知
https://www.roc-taiwan.org/cayyz/post/66.html

I don’t Mind renouncing citizenship as I can easily reapply for it after granted Citizenship in Taiwan.

Well ASAP, but realistically with all the documentation needed I think End of February is when I would be able to go there.

Thank you so much for all the information, could you please explain what this exactly means:
“If the family is your lineal blood, you don’t need your mother’s household registry, to get your TARC”
So will an Aunt’s registry work for this?

no. Lineal blood relatives are your parents, grandparents, children, grandchildren etc.

Oh, I have a grandfather there but not in good health, will he need to be present in any of these procedures? (Preferably I would not want to bother him)

My mother left Taiwan 25+ Years ago, can she reapply as an Individual Household?

Is there anyway to get around the household registry? Or is it absolutely compulsory?

Thank you so much for your time and I’m so sorry but I really don’t really understand how this household registry works and am trying to get as much information as possible.

to get a TARC as a lineal blood relative of an ROC citizen, household registration of the citizen is compulsory.

I think you just need his documents, and your aunt can get his documents if she is his daughter.

it is easy, if she visits taiwan with her ROC passport.

If your mother reads Chinese, how to do is here. The 2nd link in my first post is its English version.
因出國2年被代辦遷出國外,回國後應如何辦理恢復戶籍?
https://www.moi.gov.tw/chi/chi_faq/faq_detail.aspx?t=2&n=10777&p=70&f=

Thank you so much for all the help! I really appreciate it.
I will get her to look over the site and hopefully she’ll understand it better than I do.

You do not need to renounce your citizenship. Even if it’s easy to reapply, best to save yourself the paperwork.

Just a little update, my mother contacted the ROC embassy here in RSA and informed us that we can apply for what they call residence (which I believe is just TARC) locally through them which also means I don’t have to have any documents translated (which is a huge relief as I was quoted ±$1000) and can do my health check locally. I just have to enter Taiwan within the time span given and report to the government there within 15 days.

I’m quite confused as why no one talks about this option unless it’s exclusive to the RSA embassy.
They gave us this exact site to go to for all the forms just in case anyone is curious https://www.immigration.gov.tw/5382/5385/7244/7250/7281/居留/僑居國外之臺灣地區無戶籍國民申請在臺灣地區居留送件須知/

I might be wrong though but will update if anything happens

Thanks for the update.

That is a chinese version of a link in my first post, which is much easier to read than English one but I omitted because I thought you don’t read Chinese. Sorry.

Is it sure that you do not need any document on the household registration of your relative in taiwan? I had thought you need 臺灣地區親屬之國民身分證影本、戶口名簿及足資證明親屬關係文件 as 其他相關證明文件, or your mother’s ID is enough and you don’t need 戶口名簿?

Added: I misread. You didn’t say you don’t need any document on the household registration of your relative in taiwan, but just you don’t need to translate any documents.

Ahhh, now I understand.
Yes, RSA is truly effed-up. There’s a whole thread on this forum about it.
Plenty of Saffies in Taiwan (and this forum).
I’ve worked with some overseas Taiwanese from RSA. They’re all glad they got out.
Good luck with the whole process.
Taiwan indeed is heaven versus the place you are leaving.

Yes, I did notice it was the Chinese version, I don’t actually read Chinese but my mother went over it with me step by step, so much easier since it was numbered. The English version is quite… difficult on the eyes I must admit haha.

I haven’t fully confirmed yet but I assume once in Taiwan I will have to register to a relatives Household registry we are just trying to find out the specifics of it.

I mean besides not having to pay rent lol, there’s nothing in RSA that really wants to make me stay here.

This place is just really kind of depressing right now, there’s never anything to do and since everything is so far apart and with no releliable and safe public transport it’s just a pain if you want to actually do anything worth while.

Thank you for the well wishes too!