TAS establishes “Anti-Oppression Task Force”

Note from head of school:

Where do you stand in this time of great challenge and boiling controversy? As America reckons with her insidious, entrenched, lengthy history of racism, and anger bubbles over given the long-standing racial divide, racial injustice, and racial suffering experienced by African Americans within our society, what will you do? What will we, Taipei American School do? Dr. King also warned that “Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter.” We cannot be silent for THIS truly matters, and THIS is boiling, and we have laser-focused, renewed attention to the long-standing racial divide African Americans have endured economically, educationally, culturally and societally. About THIS we will not remain silent.

Over the past several weeks I have heard from hundreds of TAS alumni, community members, students, faculty and staff. A month ago I sent a communication to the community and responses to that outreach demonstrate the deep commitment and concern of many in this community who want to work together to make Taipei American School a place where respect, kindness, courage, and responsibility claim their rightful places not just as words in our values but as foundations in our hearts, especially as we address as a community the social unrest and injustice exposed in our era today.

The current call for reckoning over racism compels us to understand at least two critical facts: first, slavery and oppression have existed throughout the world since ancient times, and inevitably lead to a dominant culture mistreating a minority culture; and second, that cannot be an excuse to remain silent on its indecency as shown through the world-wide cry for action today, which sprung fully-formed from the lips of the murdered George Floyd who gasped “ I can’t breathe.” There are many forms of racism and prejudice swirling in the air that we breathe. Attention, right now, needs to be on that experienced by African Americans over many centuries.

Reverend King warned us all that “there comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic nor popular, but we must take it because our conscience tells us it is right.” Riots frighten all of us; but, as Dr. King observed so many years ago: “A riot is the language of the unheard.” Each of us must start by listening carefully to those who have for too long been unheard.

So, yes, slavery and the oppression of other people has always existed. Genesis documents the role Hagar, “servant to Sarah,” played in Biblical times. Exodus recounts an oft-cinematized, mysterious and glorious escape from Egypt by peoples who had been enslaved there and risked their lives for freedom. A center for the study of enslaved peoples estimates that as many as forty million humans continue to be enslaved, many as victims of human trafficking today. None of this exculpates Americans from this day of reckoning on behalf of African Americans that we all face today.

American history, properly taught, includes the economic advantages gained during our early nationhood by the slaughter of Native peoples and the workplace and economic gains made through the abominable, inhumane “Middle Passage” voyages that captured African Americans endured, and too often did not survive. Our history must recount the horrors of the African Americans who slaved on plantations, often under the harshest conditions, to advance the economies of many states. All of our students need to know about the Emancipation Proclamation, why one was needed when our forefathers had already decreed that “we hold these truths to be self-evident that all men [all people] are created equal , that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of Happiness…” Why did these proclaimed rights not exist for all? Why was slavery tolerated, and an Emancipation Proclamation needed?

Why did the United States “Jim Crow” laws and customs keep black people apart from white people and prevent them from having the same opportunities available to white people for so many decades? Why was Civil Rights legislation so critical, and why were those rights so fiercely fought against by people in the majority, power position?

America is certainly not alone. Subjugation of the “others” traces itself back to the very beginnings of time. But I believe that more and better should be expected from the “greatest democracy and leader of the free world” if we who treasure our American heritage have any hope of once again standing tall. “We may have all come in different ships,” Dr. King wrote, “but we are all in the same boat now.” Keep in mind that this great Civil Rights giant also warned that “we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.”

Given the times in which we live, where silence on matters of race and social injustice is not an option, I want you to know that our educational leadership team has been meeting in various configurations for several weeks to articulate concrete steps forward to address this time of great controversy and challenge. Before the barrage of eye-opening events bombarded our senses in video, television, newspaper, and electronic communications over the past few weeks, we had begun to deliberate on the best ways to incorporate an anti-racist, anti-bias program called “Facing History: Facing Ourselves” into the curriculum. These efforts began with a very generous grant from an alumna back in January. The Deans of Programs and Faculty will Co-Chair an Anti-Oppression Task Force that will review the curriculum, with an eye towards ensuring students are aware of and sensitive to issues of prejudice and oppression, with an emphasis on systems of racial domination, while at the same time recognizing oppression’s fundamental intersectionality, and preparing and empowering students to stand up against bigotry and to dismantle systems of oppression in all their forms. They will review current practices in the teaching of American History in Grades five through twelve, with an eye towards highlighting the treatment of minorities within the greater population. You will be hearing directly from Drs. Nelson and Smith once they have had the opportunity to more formally organize their plans.

We have been discussing ways to engage parents in the much-needed dialogue to engage all critical adults in our children’s worlds in ways that promote a deeper understanding of the systemic racism endemic in societies today. Parents are children’s first teachers. We need all community members to engage in this critical work.

We need a deeper understanding of the causes of the social unrest rocking so many cities in the United States and around the world today. We are a school, and we recognize that our curriculum and our programs are inadequate and must be strengthened. We cannot be silent on these matters of social injustice and inequality; neither can we afford to be forced or calmed into a position of inaction for fear of offending our multiple audiences. “Those who passively accept evil are as much involved in it as those who help perpetrate it. Those who accept evil without protesting it are really cooperating with it,” wrote Dr. King. Confucius adds that “To know what is right and not do it is the worst cowardice.” Henry David Thoreau cautioned that “It is never too late to give up your prejudices.”

Racism is often excused as a lack of education, and we will address this abomination in a more thorough, systematized, and on-going way. All of our students have been taught that racism and discrimination are evil; clearly, we have not done enough and the lamentations of those still crying out for equality and respect pierce our hearts as well as our ears. We must do better. We must be better. And we will need the support of alumni, parents, and all community members. We cannot afford to rest on our laurels and take comfort in the bubble in which so many of our TAS students live. Not everyone is welcome in that bubble. And eventually all of our children leave it, most entering a world for which they are not sufficiently prepared. Alumni tell us they feel more than well-prepared academically. They also tell us that they feel woefully unprepared for the realities that converge in today’s society, be it in America or elsewhere, where race, privilege, discrimination and prejudice weave their ugly web and too often ensnare our conscientious, unprepared children.

Silence and inaction are not options. Education matters. Words matter. Actions truly matter. At TAS, we are acting with all due speed to strengthen our educational programs in the areas of anti-racism and social injustice. Every member of this community has a role to play, and much to contribute. Together we can overcome current barriers in the true and everlasting determination to see that our children and their children will live in a better world where racism in all its ugly forms is called out, addressed, and eliminated.

Faithfully,

Sharon D. Hennessy, Ed.D.

Head of School

Taipei American School

3 Likes

While there is a lot to like in the communication, the tone, focus, and word choices are deeply troubling to me.

I’m still trying to figure out the best way to address this, as I am concerned that TAS will embrace teaching through a lens of struggles between races and oppression narratives. Of course, these subjects should be taught in context, but I am concerned on the focus and how this will be connected to recent history and current America.

3 Likes

Does it mean they are going to lower tuition in order to have students from across the economic spectrum as well?

33 Likes

Post of the day right there. :notworthy:

1 Like

:face_with_monocle: :rofl:

1 Like

Anti oppression task force sounds like something out of the Marxist handbook.

6 Likes

Do you have any thoughts on how or whether I should approach the administration about their curriculum around this for my kids?

1 Like

have they announced a “curriculum” for this yet?

I think it’s worth having a dialogue about your concerns. The email seems to indicate that they welcome it from parents. Whether that is true, I can’t say.

But of course, it is important to learn about history of slavery, racial segregation, civil rights. Nothing wrong with that, it should be encouraged and schools often do a poor job of it. But it’s one thing to teach history and another to teach ideology.

I would ask if they will keep ideology out of it. For example, point to how BLM has used the history of racial oppression to move their Marxist ideology. If they don’t believe it, ask why they were teaching things like wealth distribution when they came to Taiwan.

2 Likes

No, they have not. But it might be slightly more effective to talk to them while they’re developing it rather than shitting on it after it comes out.

1 Like

Absolutely. Dont wait. there is a lot to be saud about that announcement, but without going .deep it would be good to nip extremism in the butt before it gies beyond good intentions and.starts leaning into brainwashing. This is s opening.the educatiin system.in taiwan is insanely familiar with :frowning:

As the saying goes, or at least the general meaning, tyranny (read:corruption) prevails when good people do nothing.

Dr Hennessy is making a stance against racism, bullying, sexual harassment, domestic violence and recent problems related to students’ social media behaviors. Social media has changed kids behaviors over the years. Nowadays It is not as easy as say no to drugs anymore. Anti- Oppression Task Force and a whistle blower environment may be the right thing to prevent big problems from escalating. School shootings and random stabbing incidents are becoming more common among USA high school campuses. TAS being the premier private bilingual school in Taiwan saw the needs to step in and decided to do so in a decisive manner.

2 Likes

I have no problem with taking a stand racism or the rest of the things on the list…I’m willing to bet that virtually everyone agrees on that. I’m not sure how an Anti-Oppression Task Force deals with any on the list other than racism, or why it is necessary in order to teach kids about slavery, Jim Crow, Native American/US relations, etc. The language of the announcement makes it seem to me that this is not just about properly teaching these subjects, hence my concern.

2 Likes

No one is against taking a stand against these things, but as I mentioned above, people hide ideological agendas within these good intentions. The most recent and blatant is BLM. No one is against black lives, but their ideology is clearly a lot more than the well being of black people as we’ve seen.

1 Like

Should they be teaching Taiwanese history and racism at home as most of the students are Taiwanese and they live in Taiwan? :thinking:
Maybe they want to check if they are giving their maids a day a week off first.

13 Likes

I think I’ve only seen 1 black kid at TAS so it’s a bit weird come to think of it.

2 Likes

Does the above hold true if your ancestors were white slaves, enslaved by white people? Or does it only count if you’re skin is a specific color?

Many of the convicts transported to the Australian penal colonies were treated as slave labour. William Hill, an officer aboard the Second Fleet, wrote that “the slave traffic is merciful compared with what I have seen in this fleet the more they can withhold from the unhappy wretches, the more provisions they have to dispose of at a foreign market, and the earlier in the voyage they die, the longer they can draw the deceased’s allowance to themselves”. Once the convicts arrived in Australia they were subjected to the system of “assigned service”, whereby they were leased out to private citizens and placed entirely under their control, often forced to work in chain gangs. The unwillingness of wealthy landowners to give up this cheap source of labour was a key factor in why penal transportation persisted for so long, especially in Van Diemen’s Land where “assigned service” continued to be widespread until the 1850s.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slavery_in_Australia

What are you talking about @welcome? “None of this exculpates Americans from this day of reckoning on behalf of African Americans that we all face today.”

I don’t think that is wrong, he/she said culture. Culture is not race. Slavery is indeed mostly from the dynamic mentioned, where one dominant culture enslaves people from a weaker culture. Even within Africa, Africans took slaves from people they conquered.

chattel slavery of Africans based on the idea of racial superiority was particularly evil. However, it’s also worth mentioning America was one of the first countries to systematically abolish the practice of slavery and many Americans lost their lives in that effort.

1 Like

OP’s text states slavery led to a dominant culture mistreating a minority culture.

slavery and oppression have existed throughout the world since ancient times, and inevitably lead to a dominant culture mistreating a minority culture.

Does their statement hold true when there’s only one culture. Africans enslaved Africans. English enslaved English. Did that slavery also lead to a dominant culture?