Taste difference between Kaoliang

I won a bet with a colleague, now he has to drink Kaoliang. I’m in Germany, I brought the 2 bottles below with me.

Is there any significant taste difference? Which one is the normal standard one? Which one is more punishment? ^^

1 Like

Not sure of the difference between ‘高粱’ and ‘小高粱’, but it’s a safe bet they both taste like paint stripper. The 38’ one is slightly more palatable than the 58’ IMHO.

I’ve given JinMen GaoLiang to various seasoned drinkers, and they’ll only touch it after they’ve run out of other things to drink.

2 Likes

I’m not sure I’ve ever tried kaoliang (maybe once or twice, if that), but I drank enough baijiu in China to not be so curious about doing so. Are they fairly similar?

For @olm, maybe go with the yellow one? It looks like it’ll be the first to go bad worse.

I’ve only tried baijiu once, but IMHO the difference between drinking gaoliang and baijiu is something like the difference between drinking gasoline and hydrazine. The former is merely horrible, the latter is distinctly reckless. Apart from that they taste similar.

2 Likes

It’s worse than neat gin

It’s worse than Ouzo

The only reason to make another one is to make it worse. So the orange one must be worse.

The one on the left is cheaper.

1 Like

Interestingly, the right one is not too bad. Hmmmm…

Pah! I used to drink that neat back when I was 15. Aniseed good for the breath and vomit smell

1 Like