Tax filing for first time

Hello everyone. it is my first-time filing tax in Taiwan I tried to make a search but I did not find answers to all of my questions.
I am planning to go to the tax office and file it onsite. So what documents I will need, my ARC, My work, contract, my work permit, my Withholding & Non-Withholding Tax Statement, and maybe my monthly salary statement, do they need them with the workplace stamp or just the reference copy from the work website, or will I need any other documents?
Secondly, about basic deduction and itemized deduction, I am not sure which will be better or will return more but I am married and have one preschool child so maybe I need to choose itemized deduction. Or I also can choose basic deduction if it will be better. And at an itemized deduction there is a place for rental house expenses I have a contract and I send money to the landlord monthly through the bank account, I need to have a receipt from the landlord or just the contract is enough or the bank remittance receipts will be ok, and the medical expenses can I attach Any receipt of usual doctors follow-up And dental treatment not covered by NHI or only special medical care like ER or hospital stay?
And finally, at the point of special deduction, there is a special deduction for tuition my husband is a Ph.D. student who has a partial scholarship from the university to cover tuition we still we could apply for the tuition deduction with the student ID card or study statement or not with the scholarship. And my son is in a private nursery (Do I need to attach the nursery contract only or still have to find all the monthly receipts?
Sorry for the long topic and thank you everyone again

First time I filed taxes in Taiwan, they wanted proof that I wasn’t employed in my home country. But they were happy enough with a letter of resignation from my previous job…

There is too much going on there. Slow down, please!

To get started, you’ll need your ARC(s) and your passport(s). Rent receipts from your landlord would be needed if you’re filing taxes in Taipei City at the Zhonghua Road Tax Bureau (that’s the one for all foreign residents in Taipei City); other locations may vary, as we have read on this site over the years.

The possible exemptions and deductions you have listed are possible if you have spent 183 days in Taiwan in 2022. The tax bureau workers will know immediately if this is possible by scanning your passport, so don’t forget it! They will also immediately have access to all your official income, payments to NHI and other insurance, and tax withheld, if this applies. In short, they will have all this key data for you.

If however you can claim exemptions and deductions, yes try to have receipts to support your claims (for rent and other matters), especially if filing in Taipei City.

Good luck!

Guy

1 Like

Here in Hsinchu we only need ARC and NHI card.

Never been asked for an NHI card at any tax bureau I’ve used.

The passport will help determine, quickly, whether the resident has hit the 183 day mark for the calendar year, in this case 2022. That’s the magic number to reach!

Guy

Take you bank book as well. They need it for their direct deposit system. You should also ask for the stamped record of your filing of taxes that you may need to show your home country. Not sure what it is called, maybe someone can help with this. Blue paper/red stamp.

Good tip! This is needed if you have tax already paid coming back to you.

Guy