Tax Issue with working before ARC?

Hey everyone,

Long story short. I started working for a buxiban in September. The contract on record says Sept 1 2017-Aug 30 2018.

However, unfortunately due to paperwork issues my ARC was not able to be processed until mid/late November . Meaning that the first couple months were paid under the table as my boss insists on paying with direct deposit (which for that particular bank needed ARC).

I will only have pay stubs for taxes this year for November and December. But not for Sept/Oct. Do you think there will be any problems come tax time if I only submit stubs for Nov/Dec even though my work contract has me on record as starting as early as Sept 1?

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Short answer, you worked illegally until you got your ARC, therefor you can’t have any tax stubs.

1 Like

When was your work permit issued? You can work if you have a work permit but not an ARC I believe.

Edit : if your boss didn’t report it to the tax office, then I wouldn’t worry about it. I would imagine that the tax office doesn’t see your contract.

1 Like

Totally. And yes I’m sure it was probably illegal for sometime. My worry is if the tax office would be expecting more pay stubs due to the length of my employment contract

Correct. The ARC is irrelevant, and the boss shouldn’t do business with a bank that’s stupid enough to insist on one (because a 統一證號 is all the bank really needs).

If it’s salary income, it’s taxable.

It’s hourly but we get paid once a month. Hoping then that the stubs for Nov/Dec are enough and they just won’t ask questions about Sept/Oct :hushed::hushed:

I also think it depends on what your boss reports to the tax office , every year my employer gives me a list of deductions and hours worked and nowadays it’s immediately connected to the tax office. They don’t ask me about work contracts.

What does your arc show for dates?

… So I was under the impression that I needed paystubs in order to file taxes come end of the year? At least someone told me this was the case.

My employer hasn’t given me any (even for the months that I was legal and on the books) because she says it’s all taken care of on their end. So I guess I’m just wondering if I do in fact need pay stubs or no? I don’t believe she is lying to me or anything I just want to make sure I’m okay when it comes time to file taxes.

Your tax forms come from your employer at the end near tax time. You bring them into the tax office but now they don’t even need them as your employer should have already reported everything automatically. Assuming this is a decent chain school on the up and up.

If you request, they should issue your withholding certificate. Otherwise, they might not issue it. And, you don’t need the paper for your tax report as @dan2006 said.

Awesome. Thanks so much! Just going to assume they are taking care of it on their end those. (fingers crossed lol)