Tax question (when to file)

I arrived in August 2019 and have been paying income tax on my salary. My school handed me a few pay slips at the end of March and told me I needed to file my tax returns before the end of June.

Then the schools director called the tax office and told me that I didn’t need to file them until next year… So I just thought I’d get a second opinion on this :slight_smile:

Sorry for being direct, but why don’t YOU call to tell office instead of your boss?

1 Like

Yes, ask those qualified to give you an answer - ie - the Tax Office.

Go to local tax office. Bring whatever you have from work. Let them tell you how to file taxes.
Taiwan tax bureau workers are extremely kind.
Go in early before June.

Maybe the director thought you were going to try to file a return for everything up to now, whereas the return you file in 2020 is for the 2019 tax year only (i.e. 2019-01-01 to 2019-12-31). Anyway, I concur with the advice to trust the tax office, not your employer.

YOU’RE not being direct, just rude. :joy:

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback, I had no idea that income tax was a thing like this here as it’s already been deducted from my salary and in the UK when you’re employed you don’t have to file taxes as your employer does it for you… Thanks again as I had no idea the tax office here was so accessible or polite or that it was even that straight forward. I’m off to the tax office tomorrow. Thanks folks :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Oops!
I’ll try to tone down next time, okay? :wink:

:blush: