Taxes, are they morally wrong?

“but all Duties, Imposts and Excises shall be uniform throughout the United States.” US Constitution.

“The apportionment of taxes on the various descriptions of property is an act which seems to require the most exact impartiality; yet there is, perhaps, no legislative act in which greater opportunity and temptation are given to a predominant party to trample on the rules of justice.”- James Madison in the federalist papers

And?

Are you not able to comprehend the constitution or the words of Madison?

Yes.

Therefore…?

What does this have to do anything with this?

Your quote does not address income taxes

1 Like

If you’re going to quote Reagan on a subject not even directly related to taxes, I gave you some better ones that talk directly on taxes…

Tell me again about how gov regulations helps prevent monopolies like comcasts again. I didn’t quite get that.

Are you ok?

Yes it does. First quote is how the constitution allows congress to tax.

SECTION 8. Clause 1. The Congress shall have Power to lay and collect Taxes, Duties, Imposts and Excises, to pay the Debts and provide for the common Defence and general Welfare of the United States; but all Duties, Imposts and Excises shall be uniform throughout the United States.

Second quote is a warning of not being impartial about taxing, if you read the issue of the federalist papers. It deals with the issue of majority and minority falling in the temptation of appointing taxes that are not impartial and unjust.

Why do you like to be so wrong and why do you hate people who are rich?

I am rich. That’s why I’m happy to pay taxes when I know they are going to things like better schools for kids, parks, or health care for those less fortunate than I am.

This, again:

10-commandments-of-rational-debate

Did you or did you not just get modded for breaking the first rule a few posts above?

So do you disagree with the constitution?

Do you disagree with the founding fathers? They had quite a lot to say about taxes, after all, American revolution sort of started on a tax on tea. And it seems pretty clear they would be appalled at the progressive income tax.

So, leaving aside the fact that you are using the us constitution to argue if taxes are moral or not(what about the 190+ other countries constitutions)

The paragraph you quoted doesn’t adress income taxes, it concerns taxes/duties/other fees which might affect the functioning of the internal market, such as duties on the entry of goods or taxes levied at the time of entry

Basically it forbids California from levying x tax on import and Texas levying y tax

1 Like

It also needs further interpretation, it looks like it’s prohibiting discrimination between states and counties, etc. Basically a single federal tax code should be applicable regardless of where in the US you are.

1 Like

After a cordial exchange with the moderator, my post was kindly reinstated.

Your question about the constitution is too vague to answer.

Founding fathers: A. Too vague to answer B. Non sequitir C. That’s a matter of conjecture and interpretation, and I’m fairly sure they’d tell you you’re missing the point.

No it affects all direct taxes collected. Article I also says that a “direct” tax must be apportioned among the states on the basis of population. This means that if a tax is a “direct” tax, a state with one-tenth of the national population must bear one-tenth of the total liability.

So, no

But either way, what one countries constitution says about taxes has little or no relevance to the larger question if taxes are moral or if we should apply a flat rate

Or what do you think the reaction would be if a Taiwanese politician argued for a flat rate here and used the us constitution as an argument ?

I was replying to @anon96115109 with his quotes on American presidents on the subjects of taxes. So either i’m allowed to address his quote in the context of American taxation or maybe you should also ask the same question to him.

Why do you find my quote of little relevance but did not call his out on quotes that are not even related to taxes.

The entirety of your post? Don’t lie.

I’m still waiting for you to explain to me how gov regulations can finally get me more cable providers besides comcast. I really would like to know, I too was stuck with comcast in the US.

I’m just copying and pasting here, but got into reading this and found it interesting and pretty clear.

So it was the lack of gov regulation that caused the comcast situation?