Taxi prices in Taiwan

Dears,
how expensive are taxi in Taiwan? Are prices “transparent” or every taxi driver is making another price as I noticed in some european cities?
How much would it cost (for example) to travel from the international airport to the centre of Taipei?
Are the prices the same throughout the Island or are they different from town to town?
Thank you

As taxis go internationally, Taipei’s taxis are quite inexpensive. Far cheaper than in Europe, North America and Japan.

Taxis are metered in Taipei and Taoyuan, though the rates differ. Flagfall is NT$80 in Taoyuan but NT$70 in Taipei, IIRC. A trip from one side of Taipei to the other might cost NT$250-300. A short trip within the city perhaps half that. Most drivers are honest, but occasionally there is a bad egg out there, so make sure the driver starts the meter.

From Taoyuan International Airport to the middle of Taipei would cost around NT$1300-1400; it is metered. However, going in the opposite direction they often charge a flat fee of around NT$1000.

Taipei taxis are having a slight price increase in October. According to the govt, it’ll be 10-15% on average. Flagfall is going up to $75 or $80 (I forget which), and meter calculation will be based on 200m rather than the current 250m.

If you travel from Taoyuan airport to Taipei by taxi, you also need to pay another NT$20 or 40 dollars for the toll, which doesn’t display on the meter. There’s usually a sign in the cab telling you this.

A big advantage of taxis in Taiwan is that tips aren’t expected.

If you are going from the airport into town see if your hotel can arrange this. Many will and it will be cheaper than if you hire one yourself at the airport.

thank you all for your informations

The ending taxi price for anywhere inside the city is cheaper than any starting meter in the the US and most of Europe.

Yes, taxis are cheap in Taiwan, very convenient, and fleets of them abound around metro stations, hotels, and designated spots, not to mention doing the rounds. From the airport, you have many options in terms of limo services and taxi services. There is a designated waiting area for taxis, they are all metered, and the ID of the driver is clearly stated everywhere on the cab in case you have any complaints.

In any case, for extra safety, make sure you use a taxi from one of the many reputable companies around, meaning, better than an independent -more resources, more coverage, more service options. For example:
Taiwan Taxi - usually covered up in ads, and their phone number is 55688
Airport service -as stated, that’s its name and duty
Tafong - blue ad on top
Women and children service -but not exclusively, recognize by the flowers they carry in the front

Moreover, I am constantly fighting with fellow foreigners who tell me they get dirty or weird taxi drivers. Finding a taxi in Taipei is easier than scratching your head, no need to get in the first one that follows you around. There are fleets with Mercedes, new Toyotas mini vans -the most popular, even fancy BMWs or ex race cars converted to taxis. So if you do not like it, just say no, and pick the one you want. Like MRT trains, that come every 3 minutes, taxis are one after another. No need to hurry. If you open a squeaky door and a blast of liquor and pinglang greets you, do not get in.

best summary ever. :thumbsup:

With the recent fair increase (which is still cheap), Uber is actually cheaper now as long as it isn’t “surge pricing”. The drivers seem to be better for me so far.

I fractured my ankle last Saturday in a scooter accident and now I need to use a taxi everyday. I was surprised at the fee increase and wanted to update the info above about Taoyuan. Flagfall is now $95 here. How does this compare to Taipei?

When I took a taxi ride the other day, the flagfall was NT$70. When I got to my destination, the meter read NT$115, and the driver said there was an additional charge of NT$5. I don’t know if this is a flat charge or if it goes up as the distance increases.

No idea how long it will take for the meters to be reprogrammed to reflect the new rates.

[quote=“Chris”]When I took a taxi ride the other day, the flagfall was NT$70. When I got to my destination, the meter read NT$115, and the driver said there was an additional charge of NT$5. I don’t know if this is a flat charge or if it goes up as the distance increases.

No idea how long it will take for the meters to be reprogrammed to reflect the new rates.[/quote]

There was a report on Focus Taiwan news that said if the taxi hadn’t reprogrammed it’s meter, they weren’t allowed to add a surcharge. I don’t have the link but if you want to search it out, it was 3-4 weeks ago I think.

[quote]According to the new fares, NT$5 per 200m is to be added to the minimum fare of NT$70,
Previously, the rate was NT$5 per 250m on top of the minimum fare.
In addition, the idling charge — for example at red lights — was raised from NT$5 per 100 seconds to NT$5 per 80 seconds.[/quote]

taipeitimes.com/News/taiwan/ … 2003629167

Flagfall was and still is 70NT$!

… Or you can pre book it and fix the price. Let me know if you need help to do it!

Taichung has authorized an additional NT$50 service charge for about 4 days around Chinese New Year.

Good for Taichung to help out those ubiquitous yellow mobile thing-a-ma-jigs

Should be the same in most cities, it has been in Kaoshiung for the few years NT$50 or extra percentage at big holidays.

Get in Taxi, 85ntd, get to destination 15 minutes away, total price 95ntd.
Get in Taxi in Australia, appx. 90ntd, get to destination 15 minutes away, total price appx. 460ntd.

Yep, cheaper :stuck_out_tongue:

Still cheap though . I had to use a Taxi for a very long journey this week , at least 50 kms each way . The guy even waited for an hour for me and brought me back . Total was 2000NTD. 2-3 hours of his time and 100kms , I thought that was great value. Cost me 5000 ntd to get from Heathrow airport to 7 miles away , recently …utterly crazy.
The only issue I have is that my Mandarin only lasts about 10 kms , before I run out of words :slightly_frowning_face: