Taxi Taichung HSR station to/fro Sun Moon Lake

Hello Helpers,

We are a family of 2 adults + 3 kids age 5, 8 , and 10, and would be arriving at TaiChung HSR High Speed Rail station in the late afternoon 3:20pm . This is the 1st day, so buying the SML Sun Moon Lake Day pass at this time does not make sense.

1. We plan to take the Nantou bus to SML, or take a taxi directly to the hotel. Learned conflicting information – some said bus take 2 hours, but Nantou official site says 1 hour 20 minutes. Think taxi would take just 1 hour. Correct?

I am also equally worried about the queue at the bus station, if we can board the 3:45pm Nantou bus from HSR to SML.

1. We would choose taxi if the cost is NT$1200 one-way to the hotel. Online quotes is about NT$2500, but I read people said it can be as low as NT$1000 if we hire the taxi locally at HSR station. Is that possible? And if so, would the taxi use meter or just a package final price?

2. After arriving at the SML hotel, where is the closest location to buy the Sun Moon Lake Day pass for our 2nd day travel around SML?

3. On the way back from SML to TaiChung on the 3rd day, for Taxi ride, is it better to get it at the ShuiShe Plaza pier? I guess more choices and better prices?

Thanks much!
Sean

You are right. It’s around one hour ride from Taichung to Sun Moon Lake. However, buses will stop dozens of stops along the way, and it’s around 2 hours to reach the lake.

Generally, it’s NT$2500 per ride, either hailing one at the station or charging by meters. You may get carpooling for NT$1500 at the station, but you will take 30~60 minutes to get rolling.

You can reserve a ride online for NT$1000.