TCFL programmes in Taiwan

Hello!

I’m looking for information on TCFL programmes in Taiwan (not the master degrees but the shorter ones), and didn’t find any posts about that. Has anyone here taken any of those classes? If so, I’m interested in all kind of feedback.

Thank you very much! :slight_smile:

If you’re already a Chinese teacher I know NCKU runs workshops.

I’m a beginner in Chinese. :wink:

This is for my husband. He has just started teaching Chinese in Thailand, but has only a BA in Chinese. I’ll tell him to check NCKU though, they may have something for him.

Has anyone attended the 2 month-programme at Taida?

He’ll have to contact NCKU directly. Actually, I’m taking the longer programme at NCKU as part of my bachelor’s, let me dig up the teacher’s contact. I’ll PM you it.

Just about all the buxibans run their own “certificate” training classes from time to time. But, as they say, “it’s all the same banana”. Just restating the obvious (and often the ineffective). Buyer beware and check carefully if the certificate in question will have any value outside the particular buxiban that issued it, or in any particular situation or desired job.

I’m doing one of the government certified courses that’s supposed to prepare you for the government exam. There’s a lot more theory than I thought there would be.

What are the requirements to join one of those courses?

I’m a university student, it’s offered as a free course to all students at my university. I don’t think outsiders can take it, but you can always try and ask. You either need 12 credits or 14 credits to get the certificate, but the certificate doesn’t qualify you to teach; you have to pass the government exam for that.

There are quite a few places running courses for people who want to take the exam, I think you’d have to look at the regulating body’s website. There’s a lot of info on there :slight_smile:

The Association of Mandarin Teachers:
atcsl.org/

NCKU apparently runs a course for non-students:
kclc.ncku.edu.tw/langcenter/2-6.php

Not sure about ones for Taipei, check out Shida’s Language center site.

So…how much of this “theory” goes beyond “communicative teaching” and pairwork?

I’m betting “none”.

Just sayin’. There is more going on in CFL than the courses in Taiwan (or elsewhere) are teaching.

What’s communicative teaching?? XD

The theory is from textbooks/powerpoints etc. on the different methods of teaching, how language is acquired/learnt by adult students, linguistics, pronunciation, etc. etc. (I’d know more if I’d been paying more attention). I’m only on my third class out of about seven, but the first two had a lot of group assignments which usually involved planning a short class demo (possibly based on solely using one of the methods taught as theory, or a combination) and either teaching actual foreign students (who’d volunteer) or ‘pretend’ teaching the whole class (which was bloody annoying, because Taiwanese people respond nothing like foreign people and actually get more embarrassed O.o; ).

Right now I’m doing linguistics/phonology, which is pretty good fun so far (on week 3?). There’s a lot of reading in pairs/to the class so far because she’s trying to make us aware of our own pronunciation (there’s a good chunk where we have to pretend to be full on mainlanders and try out that accent too, which is always fun), but apparently we’ve finished the first part of the class (the phonics of Mandarin?) and are moving onto another part of the class next week (uh… uh… I really need to pay attention more @.@; ).

These are actually the best classes that I’ve taken in the university; the teaching style is somewhat similar to a western class - they’re pretty interactive and try to make you come up with the answers. Considerng they’re the ONLY classes in the whole uni that are like this, I guess that makes them unique XD But… brain is already in Class Has Started->Default to Standby mode, and it’s hard to turn off @.@;