TCM discussion

If I drink alcohol to excess will liver injury follow, and will that make me angrier?

Traditional Chinese Medicine Health Promotion Speech and Demonstration

649f93ccadea4c5e0cfb138c4fb65d85--funny-memes-funny-shit

I drink alcohol too, although the Lancet says it’s not beneficial:
No level of alcohol consumption improves health
Open AccessPublished:August 23, 2018

Actually, alcohol is not a bad thing. In fact, alcohol is called “藥王” , which means the king of all medicine in ancient times.

There’s only one rule in drinking that I followed:

Drink only when you are happy.

Sadly I’m always happy.

Chinese medicine is great! and so are snake-oil enemas. 5000 years of culture, right up the kiester!

When I was a medical college freshman learning TCM, I had exactly the same feeling as you.

However, I choose to distinguish those core essence that does benefit our patients from those that make no sense nowadays. When learning Chinese medicine, it is very important to go back to the time when these strange formula was created so that you would understand why our ancestor would use such a strange thing to treat those ailments.

One thing I tried to remind myself is : Don’t ever judge something before you get to see the whole picture of it. I choose not to be trapped in those strange things that I find hard to believe but to focus more on the TCM theories that is useful. I believe doctors have to be very practical. There are millions of formulas recorded in TCM classics, why spend time arguing those ingredients that don’t make sense to me after learning the core theories of TCM?

There are peer-reviewed studies on relieving pain.

I think the main difference between TCM and conventional western medicine is the questions they ask. “Does it work?” as opposed to “How does it work?”.

The fact that we don’t know how much of conventional medicine works anyway tends to be ignored.

Having said that, acupuncture is a hard sell.

I love Chinese medicine as a general. Chinese medicine doctors, like that of western doctors, I might not be so complimentary. I really wish I was in Taipei tomorrow,.would like.to join.

One thing I have always justifiably had at odds with Chinese medicine though is the lack of depth in identifying the ingredients in the potions and powders. And I’m a great follower. But being a biologist at heart I can’t accept their lack of knowledge on their sources. And I am quite involved in the farming, production and import/sales of TCM herbs. I get they can have a system.of identifying lingzhi based on conk color and shape, but virtually no energy goes into seeing host species unless its really expensive, like bull camphor slime. a very unprofessional profession I seriously hope we can all work on improving. Western medicine I could say the same, but I’m involved in biological Medicine, so can’t speak much.

Do you guys ever discuss the actual ingredients, on an identifiable level with these? There are numerous species of ginseng, goji, lingzhi and all number of herbs and from what I’ve seen no doctor can say which they have. In fact half the time I’m.thrown out of the office for asking what they are giving me. Other times they become my customer :), and I genuinely like their practice… so curious if see any room for improvement on 2 fronts:

1. Doctors maturity levels and the ability to interact with patients rather than just be an egotistical.teacher.

2. Step up the education on the frontlines of proper identification and growing/harvest practices of what the tcm profession sells.

Is there interest in improving these issues in your opinion?

We don’t know the mechanisms behind TCM yet, but then we didn’t know why people under 25 drove recklessly before insurance recognized that emprically and started charging them higher rates. Now we know the neural mechanisms.

According to the peer reviewed article you linked TCM has been around for 3600 years. Driving, just over a century.

When I had a seizure in China, a friend with severe epilepsy recommended that I try acupuncture. While ‘feelings’ are subjective, I think I did recover faster than after previous attacks. I don’t think most of the herbal TCM is as useful as Western remedies, but I haven’t had all human afflictions yet and I have found a couple of things in Indian traditional medicine that help. I don’t rely on it, but if it helps it helps.

Which is super easy: one of those categories includes probably all the TCM while the other one is void. Guess which one is which.

You can look for those remedies and medicines with scientific evidence of their usefulness if you have the time for that, but I guess that it’s easier and faster to accept that tcm is bullshit when not just dangerous or harmful.

Try to rationalize and understand the whole picture of eating lion dick and starfish and shit like that.

No, that’s just their marketing gimmick. The difference is this: scientific method.

Just because something wasn’t discovered using the scientific method doesn’t mean it isn’t valid.

I agree with you , but let’s not forget they have been doing live human experimentation for thousands of years on literally millions of people. I agree their theories are non scientific and mostly bull, but through trial and error on human subjects some of the more effective remedies would likely work. I had some bad stomach ailments and couldn’t get it healed using western medicine but the medicinal herbs I tried for it as a last resort worked extremely well. Why ? Well I would say definitely not through reading my pulse and looking at my tongue but just the fact that the herbs used were extremely effective in calming and pretty much eliminating acidosis, IBS, and bloating. On the other hand I once took Korean Ginseng and it gave me high blood pressure and one hell of a headache!

No, but I’ll leave all the snow tiger dick for you to eat it.

I actually find it a little tough and gamey.

Soften it up first with some hot water.

Ahem…cough…are the Mods not supposed to eradicate all smut, instantly ?

One man’s smut is another man’s tylenol.