Tea brewing class

Hello,

Is it possible to find a traditional tea cooking class in English in Taipei and learn how to do it properly during the course of the day?

I googled couple of advertisements but all of them are outdated.

Thanks.

Give me 1,000 and you’ll learn it all in 3 minutes.

1 Like

I’d rather give 10x to someone who can teach you manners. Except your parents obviously, pal.

We talking about tea cooking, tea brewing or tea ceremony here?

I think a good idea would be to visit places that showcase any of the above and ask to see if they can or know anyone that could teach it in English.

Plenty of places to watch tea ceremony up in Maokong, but I pass this one on my way to lunch often.

Oh it on now. 牛鼻万岁!

Thanks for the tips.

I just want to be able to cook the good tea properly when I come home. Not sure if that requires a ceremony or that it’s possible to learn for a few free days that I have here.

Anyways, it’ll be great to know the difference between cooking, brewing and ceremony :slight_smile:

That person hasn’t born yet.

2,000, 10 minutes.

1 Like

If you go into a local tea seller you might get lucky and find someone who will be willing to take you through the steps so long as you buy some product.

I saw a tea vendor show how to brew tea for its customers at B1 floor in the food court of the Miramar Shopping Mall in Neihu yesterday.

I believe that any real tea shop does it. they explain you how to do it, temperatures, minutes, times you can reuse it, etc…

You can “cook” the tea by infusing it with other ingredients. This means you plan on eating it. FYI “cooking” the tea is not common, I might refrain from using that phrase unless you actually plan on using it as an ingredient in your food.

Normally, you “brew” the tea to drink it. Kind of like how you brew coffee.

Tea ceremony is part of multiple Chinese traditions like marriage. There’s certain ways to brew, pour and serve the tea.

As other have stated, making (brewing) tea is quite simple. Most mid-upper class department stores will be able to let you taste test the tea before buying. Have them explain what’s the optimal time to have the tea leaves brew before pouring. Some is almost instant, other takes a bit of time.

Tea cooking doesn’t mean tea leaf cooking or procedure to make tea from tea plants?

They don’t cook them…do they?

I honestly don’t know enough about the subject to give you a straight up answer, but to my knowledge, which is observing while riding my bike through the tea fields south of Maokong, is that they sun dry the tea leaves.

Tea Masters Blog

1 Like

Maybe I’d difficult to educate but in exchange I might be able to educate a bit:

cc/ @ykurtov Вітаю

My personal comments on tea:

• any sugarless green tea in 7-11 for urgent thirst situation: very convenient, quenching thirst fast.
  • any green tea packaged in larger pouch for the morning: fast brewing in a jumbo mug with hot water. waking up the spirit more smoothly than espresso.
  • green tea with honey and lemon from decent street vendors: my midday energy drink

If you want a nice experience, book a class in the Taipei Qin hall, housed in an old Japanese villa close to the Cultural Park.

They normally do classes, but if you ask for Sarah Chen, she might be able to teach you for a 2 hour class one-to-one.
If you are interested, contact them direct, or PM me, and I will give you her phone number.

2 Likes

@mad_masala great, дякую! :slight_smile:

Thanks @VOT

@ericinformosa thanks, that should be it! Just sent them an email.

Cheers.

1 Like

Does this still exist? It looks like a guzheng place, no?

Reviving this topic since I recently got reinvigorated to properly study tea… I took a very traditional course in Ningbo, talking about the different ways to brew it, different types, how the types are made, etc. but at the time my Mandarin wasn’t nearly as good as it is today and I remember very little.
Any suggestions for classes about tea brewing/ceremonies, tea culture/tradition, the tea growing/baking/aging process, or anything else are much appreciated. I was disappointed that even the ‘tea research institute’ and the ‘assam ancient tea farm’ in Yuchi don’t have anything like this.

It is actually a Guqin cultural center, not Guzheng.
Beautifully restored Japanese colonial residence, free to visit, and worth doing so.
And yes, she is normally around in the weekends, teaching Guqin, and doing the tea classes once in a while.
If you got problems in arranging, PM me.

1 Like