TEACHER HORIZON anyone!?

Hey,
Does anyone has experience with this portal https://www.teacherhorizons.com/

What are the basic requirements to be an activated teacher there? Their response is very vague and any insights will be helpful. I have teaching credential (through alternate route) and have many years of experience teaching science.

Thank you all in advance.

It does say “a full teaching qualification”. By alternative, do you mean you did it through some sort of hodgepodge of student teaching a certain number of hours in a random school and also passed the requisite tests? or is it a sub license?

Define “a full teaching qualification”. In some parts of the world it is not possible for a cook to get a teaching credential by joining teaching program that dishes out certification. I have met some like that.

Yes, I did an alternate pathway from US, which clearly states “our licence is valid in many states” and have X many years of teaching experience. What is the GOLD STANDARD here? A person with bachelors plus state certification has better knowledge and understanding about the subject than one with highest degree and some form of certification from US institute that claim their license is valid in many states. Some even have certification in special needs and teach normal kids in many international schools in Asia. But again that’s considered as state certified! :slight_smile:

“Gold standard” here is white skin and hopefully an eye color other than brown. I’ve yet to have a school care about my qualifications (State license in teaching Chinese and ESL, near native fluency in Chinese, Masters in Ed, Montessori Elementary) other than for the sake of bragging about how highly qualified I am. I have repeatedly found out that non-native English speakers with no teaching experience to speak of have been offered the same or even higher salaries than me, and I myself am a white woman with blue eyes.

@nz How is it even possible if you are falling within the “Gold Standard”? My experience is just the opposite of yours. Anyway, thank you for your reply and try your luck on “teacher horizon” may be you will be approved as an “activated teacher”… I went through their Twitter page and their “gold standards” are obvious.

Let’s not deviate from my topic - any “activated” teachers from “teacher horizon” on the island? Please share your experience here. Thank you.

1 Like

Jesus, the activated makes it sound like they have Jason Bourne types in place ready to wreak havoc.

5 Likes

Came here to post this but you beat me to it. Sounds a bit like either a sleeper cell or a cult. OP might have dodged a bullet on this one. :rofl:

oh yes, at least that is the impression I got from their reply… “Activated” Pu

PS: I mean Plutonium

Received another redundant email from the teacher horizon after writing to their [info@teacherhorizons.com] handle.

@nz If you try it out, please let me know what they have to say about your candidacy!

I’d suggest applying directly to schools, though any international school worth working at will have hired for this coming year already (like in November or so of last year)

1 Like

@nz I fully agree with you, but also I want to understand what the teacher horizon’s requirement are (curious) and response would be for you since you have that “Gold Pass” (thank your Deoxyribonucleic Acid! :slight_smile:) plus your qualifications.

Try it out, even though it is experimental! No $$ to loose …

1 Like

Curious if you want a Montessori job. Send me a PM.

1 Like

I am surprised to see not many of you are aware of this website and also I didn’t get any reasonable explanation from them about my questions.

If anyone gets “LUCKY” to get your account “ACTIVATED” please share with me your journey on teacher horizon’s expectations/requirements. Thank you.

I used them, what would you like to know? I didn’t get a job through them, however, used it to look at some information on schools but found not all their info was updated/accurate.

The service is ok but not as good as search associates or even ISS IMO. If your goal is solely for teaching in Taiwan then it’s not helpful at all.

@ruffwanderer Thank you Ruff for sharing your experience on teacher horizon.I was not trained as a teacher in my subject but I am a holder of highest degree and got certified through alternate pathway for obvious reasons. But now, I kind of feel letdown by their rejection.

When I created my profile on teacher horizon, no where it was mentioned that teachers who got certified by other means aren’t welcome on their portal. They simply left me an email stating your account can’t be activated and ignored to explain why. That’s the reason why I started this thread.

If you don’t mind, would you like to share what they expect or whom they consider as qualified teachers. Only B.Ed or M.Ed degree holders with state license? I have tried twice on teacher horizon and wish I had known their basic criteria.

I used an alternate path as well, so not sure why you were rejected. I didn’t even fit the requirement you posted as I did not have two years of experience. I know they took a while to activate my account, but that was due to waiting for one of my references to respond.

Wish I had more information for you, sorry.

@ruffwanderer That is interesting and where is the standard here? Clueless! Thank you for trying to shed some light on that.

@ruffwanderer Do you mind to share (PM??) which alternate pathway you did and got your account activated on teacher horizon? Thank you.

Update:

Update 5

Do you think Laurence is a real person? (Considering the number of stock photos I’ve seen cram schools use here to pass off as their students at work, I wouldn’t be surprised if that person’s face doesn’t have anything to do with this whole shady operation)

@nz I really have no idea what they are up to but I strongly feel their approach is biased and opaque. Nothing has been shared with the candidates…

I’m OUT and at least it’s a closure from my side. We have TEALIT. :joy:

1 Like