Teacher of French : impossible?

Hello all,

I am planning to come to Taiwan to work as a teacher of French as a foreign language but I must admit it’s seems pretty difficult here.

I have read few post saying how hard it is for French people who don’t speak mandarin to find a position. I wanted to know your opinion (I know there are a couple of French on this forum).

I am already aware of the working visa conditions (pretty harsh), but what about the schools ? Are there a lot of language schools offering French classes in Taiwan ?
Are there a lot of qualified teacher (I mean native speaker with an FLE degree) already looking for a job on site ?

Thanx in advance for any answer :slight_smile:

It’s not so much not speaking Mandarin … it’s speaking French.

You won’t be allowed to teach English, even if your English is native-speaker level. To teach French, you would need to find a school offering French classes. There are some, but very very few.

One possibility would be to come here and set up your own school, but you would need to be very certain about marketing yourself, and you would need a fair amount of capital to (a) satisfy the authorities and (b) pay your own salary and operating costs while you get started. Taiwanese people like to learn English and Japanese. French is for people with too much time on their hands.

Your best bet, I suggest, would be to hire a Taiwanese “assistant” on one of those outsourcing sites (like elance.com) and have them research all the French schools in your area of interest, and perhaps ask each of them about their recruitment policies. Most of them will be small schools with no Internet presence, and only limited local advertising, so you need someone with local knowledge to find out where they are.

Otherwise, if you hold a PhD degree, you can try to find a position as a French teacher in a local university.

[quote=“meleo33”]Hello all,

I am planning to come to Taiwan to work as a teacher of French as a foreign language but I must admit it’s seems pretty difficult here.

I have read few post saying how hard it is for French people who don’t speak Mandarin to find a position. I wanted to know your opinion (I know there are a couple of French on this forum).

I am already aware of the working visa conditions (pretty harsh), but what about the schools ? Are there a lot of language schools offering French classes in Taiwan ?
Are there a lot of qualified teacher (I mean native speaker with an FLE degree) already looking for a job on site ?

Thanx in advance for any answer :slight_smile:[/quote]

Hello

Native speakers of other languages aside from English can find jobs here, either teaching their own language, at different levels, or in trading/electronic/medical companies, even the gov’t. True, they are not advertised in such massive amounts as English-related ones, but they are out there. Best of luck, stay positive, hope you find something suitable.