Teaching Certificate

Dear fellow expats,

I just learned that my substitute teaching permit from California could count as a teaching certificate. I would just like to verify this statement, or an idea of where I could go online to verify this.

Thanks

Mr. Liu

I have heard this before from teachers who told me they used such a “teaching certificate” to teach here in the past. But when I got my current job, they requested that I walk them through the process of searching my home state’s database for teacher licenses.

I guess it could go either way, as I don’t believe the language for the requirements is overly specific. Sorry that this isn’t more helpful.

Hi Housecat,

Thanks for responding to my question. I can actually show the school my substitute teaching permit from the California Commission on Teaching Credentials. But I guess there’s no real clear answer is there?

Dennis

I have a copy of my teaching license too, but they wanted to match it up to information keept online by the State. In fact, they originally wanted to have it “authenticated” at a TECO in the States, but they seem to have forgotten that they even asked for that.

The difference is a teaching certificate is one that is issued by the state of California to a person who has satisfied the requirements set by the BOA. A substitute teacher certificate is issued to anyone who hasn’t been convicted of molesting children and has fingerprints.

Right, but the requirements for teaching credentials here in Taiwan do not account for any such substitute teaching certification. And how would the guys at TECO, or the education guys here, know the difference? This is why I’m sure the stories I’ve heard of teaching as a licensed teacher here with only a substitute teacher certificate from home are true, and why the OP may be able to get away with that here.

The only thing that might prevent it is that the government at least has learned that States keep databases of teaching licenses. But they might not check, or that sub. cert. might the get the OP a job in a non-government school. Who can really say? In Taiwan things are what they are, even when they’re not.

How do I nominate this for Classic Post status? (well, it’s kind of short, but it does encapsulate almost the sum total of wisdom about Taiwanese bureaucracy into one sentence. Lots of other things in Taiwan, too, for that matter.

[quote=“ironlady”][quote=“housecat”]In Taiwan things are what they are, even when they’re not.[/quote]How do I nominate this for Classic Post status? (well, it’s kind of short, but it does encapsulate almost the sum total of wisdom about Taiwanese bureaucracy into one sentence. Lots of other things in Taiwan, too, for that matter.[/quote]It is now a quote in my signature line! At least until I receive a cease and desist PM from housecat! :doh:

On a related note, I’ve always understood that to teach in a public school one must hold a teaching certificate from their home country, which I have. But I have heard of people being hired to teach at a public school with a Bachelor’s degree and TESOL certificate. Is this legal?

I know this is a late reply to achdizzy’s comment, but in actuality to get the substitute teaching license/permit you do have to pass the Cbest exam, but it is quite easy, and fill the application trough the school district you are applying through.

Here’s a another question to everyone, if I go about to apply jobs that require certificates, should I ask if they accept a substitute license or apply with the assumption that they already accept it?

Dennis

You never want to give away information like that. Just apply and answer what questions are asked; don’t answer questions that aren’t asked.

@Northcoast Surfer: why, I’m flattered!

And thanks, ironlady!

[quote=“housecat”]You never want to give away information like that. Just apply and answer what questions are asked; don’t answer questions that aren’t asked.

@Northcoast Surfer: why, I’m flattered!

And thanks, ironlady![/quote]

Good advice housecat, I’ll definitely follow it when I start applying.