Teaching English in Kinmen

Hi,

I have an invitation to go check out Kinmen island and stay a few days. They are offering a full-time job next month. I would like to know of any experiences that someone might have after living there. I know that it has a population of about 70,000 people. I dont mind a small expat community and Im already used to a lot of Taiwanese food and the culture. Im just wondering how the quality of life is over there. Is there a regular cable and internet service? Im still young, any place to go for a drink and socialize once in a while? Or, will I be in a very traditional area?

Thanks.

There’s an expat community there? Isn’t there a military base there?

I suspect being young may cause you get bored faster there.

I spent a few days in Kinmen in 2005 and got talking to a teacher there. He only preserved his sanity by flying to Taipei once a month - he said there’s nothing much to do at all.

Even the Taiwanese dread being sent there for military service. Iv never been there, but I would think its not a happening place by any stretch of the imagination, but then who knows?

:bravo: Stellar contribution, there, tommy, you added exactly…what? to the thread???

:bravo: Stellar contribution, there, tommy, you added exactly…what? to the thread???[/quote]

To the general confusion about the place :slight_smile:

:bravo: Stellar contribution, there, tommy, you added exactly…what? to the thread???[/quote]

To the general confusion about the place :slight_smile:[/quote]

:roflmao: Ok, that’s funny :roflmao:

Its beautiful, according to some people. It’s very isolated. Very rural. Lot of offlimits areas on account of landmines and suchlike. The local government is desperate to increase tourism, hence the glowing reports you’re likely to find about the place.
However. It is REMOTE. And RURAL. And ISOLATED. There might be a few KTVs and “pubs” for the servicemen, but they’[ll not be what you think of as a “pub.”
If I were you, I’d make damn sure my teaching contract was for a maximum of three weeks.

davetaiwan -
A post like yours asking these questions pops up here about every 18months or so.
Soe of the more knowledgable will hit the thread in a day or so with more precise info, but whats been said so far is about the main points.

Kinmen opportunities?

Learn how gaoliang is made.
Learn how to make really good knives from expended artillery shells. World-class stuff…really. Maybe apprentice to a knife-maker in your spare time.
Take a metal detector and find unexploded ordinance. There is a heck of a lot of it there. Just plant flags…no EOD…please!
Explore old and rundown architecture…now vacant. There is a lot of it there.
Explore miles and miles of tunnels built into the island.
Make sure your contract covers tickets back to the mainland at least every 3 weeks.

I guess it takes a very special person to do the gig there. Maybe its you.
Some others will have more info. Good Luck.

Master Wu don’t take no apprentices. I checked.

Kinmen would be an interesting spot to live and work in (especially for a cona… conaser… ah…a piss artist like me). Although once an isolated spot, I believe you can now hop over to Mainland China (which is just a few clicks away) thus opening up all kinds of possibilities for weekends of cheap boozing, whoring, and explorations of a more cultural bent.

I worked there (not as teacher) for around 3 months some years back but travelled to Taipei every couple of weeks. It’s very laid back but military presence is everywhere. You sometimes see soldiers cleaning the roads etc., so it’s actually a kind of neat / clean place.
There are quite a few things to see but 2-3 weeks would probably be enough to get it all covered, after that I think it will become very boring as there isn’t much to do. There are lots of internet cafes (where mostly soldiers hang out during their free time) so internet connectivity shouldn’t be too difficult to find; they also have a TKEC (3C) shop there and several 7-11 (well, even Matsu got one now I heard). Oh, and they do have indeed minefields there, if you like a bit more excitement. :wink:

You will need a scooter or car to get around, though they do have some bus lines. Taxis don’t use the meter I think to remember, so you pay a flat fee instead (negotiable).

A car? :roflmao: On Kinmen? :roflmao:
God, the island is much too small for that. A scooter would be fine, and even a bicycle would do. In fact, having a bicycle would prolong the “exploring the island” phase of your stay.

Seeing as no one’s asked the obvious…

What’s the wenching like? Any decent wenches, or just KTV ladies/hookers?