Teaching English Requirements

Is a criminal history a complete deal breaker to work in Taiwan?

No. Only buxibans require background checks. You can work at a private school, public school, Uni or open your own business. But you can only get an ARC, no APRC if you canā€™t get a clean check.

Itā€™s nice. Unis donā€™t pay any better, but they have their perks.

July 23rd to I dono September 3rd-7th will all be lovely desk warmingā€¦mmmm I can feel the joy alreadyā€¦

I did desk-warming in the distant past when I taught at a middle school. It was crap. You have my sympathy. I got through it by bouncing around message boards like this one, and listening to podcasts, maybe even sneaking in the occasional movie when the office was empty.

The whole concept of desk-warming is pointless and demeaning. Sit around for hours every day in an office doing nothing during the summer break. Itā€™s like a collective punishment for native teachers.

Anyone heard of the new process for hiring foreign teachers since it has switched from MOL to MOE? Are previously hired teachers affected? Hearing chatter that ALL teachers even with open work rights need to have teaching certification under their belt.

I heard it was for teachers in public and private schools that you need a work permit issued and you need a teaching qualification to work there.

I guess everyone can run to the buxibans now.

As long as they get their record checks in orderā€¦

ahhh gooodā€¦flush out the unwanted laowhys

1 Like

Letā€™s not fan the flames of panic.

Public schools can only hire foreign English or foreign subject teachers with a degree and a teaching license from their home country.

*Some public schools use a loop hole by establishing a cram school business via their PTA and hire unlicensed teachers through the cram school.

Private schools prefer to hire foreign English teachers and foreign subject teachers who have a degree and a teaching license from their home country. More often than not, private schools end up hiring teachers who only hold a degree and not teaching certificate. There are just not enough licensed teachers available to fill so many teaching positions. The higher end ā€œinternationalā€ schools tend to only hire licensed teachers, but they also attract those teachers because they offer better pay and better benefit packages (bonus, vacation, etc).

APRC and JFRV holders have open work rights. Private schools love to hire people in this category because they do not have to bother with providing ARCs, etc.

If the Taiwanese government has indeed changed their laws to require APRC and JFRV holders to have a teaching license, I want to see the actual laws. I highly doubt this is the case.

@yyy What do you mean by this? I am fully aware private schools hire teachers with MARC and APRC without teacherā€™s cert. Is it possible now those teachers cannot be employed? I donā€™t want to cause a panic, just have a lot of friends in this situation. From other boards, I have seen you are well versed on the laws and regulations. Is MOE tightening the rules for everyone or just keeping with those who need a work permit?

I was responding to Zapmanā€™s ā€œI guess everyone can run to the buxibans now.ā€

I donā€™t always keep up with these developments, so Iā€™m not sure what the basis (if any) of this rumor is. :idunno:

Teachers license is a requirement for getting a work permit. If they donā€™t need a work permit, they can be hired as substitute teachers even by public schools.

Okay! Thanks anyway.

I found this rumor to be odd because I know for a fact that as @tando said, substitute teachers in public schools are not always licensed teachers (including Taiwanese teachers that teach in normal Chinese classes). And the simple fact that if this were true, then schools would start changing their programs or closing their doors because there are not nearly enough licensed foreign teachers in Taiwan and willing to come to Taiwan to fill the thousands of teaching positions needed in private schools

@SuiGeneris Unfortunately my school just got confirmation about the rumor. If your school can hire you under a different title then you are fine, but if hired as a foreign teacher you need the qualifications. Our agents have said they are trying to find a way around this, but for now open work-permits are no longer considered sufficient for employment.

What kind of school is your school?
Do they hire directly on their own or use a contracted agent?
Again, I would love to see this law in writing.

If they are hired as foreign teachers, they are regulated by the following law, which requirs teachers license.

Regulations Governing Work Permits and Administration of Foreign Teachers in Educational Institutions at All Levels
各ē“šå­øę ”ē”³č«‹å¤–åœ‹ę•™åø«č˜åƒ±čرåÆ及ē®”ē†č¾¦ę³•
http://law.moj.gov.tw/MOBILE/law.aspx?pcode=H0030058

If they donā€™t need work permit and are not hired as foreign teachers, they are regulated by Teacherā€™s Act , Teacher Education Act, and Act governing the appointment of educators. To be hired as regular teachers, they need a license, but I think they can be hired as sub teachers without a license.

@SuiGeneris
http://edu.law.moe.gov.tw/EngLawContent.aspx?lan=C&id=304

At first, I believed this only applied to teachers who needed a school-sponsored work permit. When we called in, we were told no, all teachers listed on the roster must provide the documents. Again, we are looking for loop-holes such as hiring as sub teachers, but we try to be as above board as possible. Apparently, MOL and MOE never spoke about the little details, so now there is a bit of a panic amongst hiring staff.

Who works in Hsinchu public schools?

Do you go to school in summer? July/August?