Teaching English with no BA/BS

IS it possible to teach english in a montessori school or equivelant to that with out a BA/BS?? Or a TEFL certification?? I though t about buying a fake diploma for a BA in english studies which actually seems to work so i heard to obtain a job… I have prior experience in english tutoring for college age international school in the states and also prior experience with teaching in a montessori school age children. my fiance lives in taipei city and trying to weigh my options out because i am pregnant and trying to figure out where to have my baby. Which is a whole nother story on a different post…

So is it possible to obtain a job in taipei county or taipei city with either a fake diploma or no tefl certification and no diploma???

Please give your opinion on both of my posts…

No, it is not possible. You need a BA/BS to get your ARC, which allows you to work legally in Taiwan.

Don’t do it. This is the one area of Taiwanese bureaucracy they do well. They will check it out. I know of a guy who got pinched for having a fake diploma. He’s teaching in Peru now.

[quote=“bgrey888”]
I have prior experience in english tutoring for college age international school in the states and also prior experience with teaching in a montessori school age children. my fiance lives in taipei city and trying to weigh my options out because I am pregnant and trying to figure out where to have my baby. Which is a whole nother story on a different post…[/quote]

You can find work here no problem. 'Cept it’s going to be off the books.

[quote=“bgrey888”]
So is it possible to obtain a job in taipei county or taipei city with either a fake diploma or no tefl certification and no diploma???

Please give your opinion on both of my posts…[/quote]

Gotta see the other post but I highly recommend this is one area you don’t fuck with. It’s much better to come on over, find some tutoring work, and stay out of the phony document biz.

ok what if i fly there under the 30 days like i just did and then we get married would i be able to do it then?? sorry just trying to figure out my options…

Teach English in Taiwan without BS?
Impossible.

Well of course you could.. but it wouldn’t be legal. It would mean no health insurance (and with a baby on the way that’s not exactly advisable), always looking over your shoulder etc that is no way to be living.

Tutoring jobs are also becoming harder and harder to find, so even if you did go the 30 day in and out routine, I’m guessing it wouldn’t be earning you enough money to do that.

EDIT: well you could get married, but getting the JFRV is a whole other complicated issue.

Without a diploma, you can’t legally teach here. Hell, I came back from Manila the other day and sat next to a gaggle of Filipina maids coming over to clean houses and take care of strawberries. The three I talked to all had college degrees.

so is an associates degree acceptable?? and the jfrv is hard to get??

Once you have a visa and ARC based on marriage, then yeah, no problem. You don’t need to apply for a work permit. If a prospective school likes you enough, you’ll get work. You’re not limited to schoolwork, either. You can technically do any job open to a local.
Get your husband to buy a sausage-vending stall or something and work that. Good money if you find the right location.

well he is my fiance still we havent married yet we divorced once already but working things out… yea i understand that if they did that though i would be working under thetable basically am i correct?? is it hard to get a visa to come and get married??

Once you have a visa and ARC based on marriage, then yeah, no problem. You don’t need to apply for a work permit. If a prospective school likes you enough, you’ll get work. You’re not limited to schoolwork, either. You can technically do any job open to a local.
Get your husband to buy a sausage-vending stall or something and work that. Good money if you find the right location.[/quote]

haven’t seen good old italian sausage vendors around taipei, just yet.

might sell.

I’ve often heard it said a 2-year degree and an English teaching certification of some kind could be acceptable.

Not impossible if the lass gets married to her fiance as she can then get a marriage based ARC. Once on a marriage based ARC it is up to the employer to decide if she needs a degree or not. I know many expats who teach here and have no university degrees.

The worst thing she can do is to buy a fake diploma and present that. It’s called fraud and there can be serious penalties for that, including loss of residency here.

No it’s easy to do just takes a bit of time ok. If your child is born here you won’t have health insurance here until you have had your ARC for 4 months. However your child will be covered as the father is a local citizen. So there will be some costs for the birth here, but nothing compared to being uninsured in the USA.

You need to spend a little time really to see if your fiance can support you if you come until your child is born, and also think about getting married if thats what you both want.

yes i will be coming back in january to get married and then fly back to give birth here…because i do not want to go through the trouble of filing paper work with immigration… the states require too much these days and its not worth it… so if we get married and register in taiwan how does that work if i come back??

FYI…you do not have to have a 4 year degree to legally teach in Taiwan. All you need is a 2 year associate degree and a TEFL certification. This will legally allow you to teach English in Taiwan but might make it harder to find a job. Hope this helps!

[quote=“bgrey888”]IS it possible to teach english in a montessori school or equivelant to that with out a BA/BS?? Or a TEFL certification?? I though t about buying a fake diploma for a BA in english studies which actually seems to work so i heard to obtain a job… I have prior experience in english tutoring for college age international school in the states and also prior experience with teaching in a montessori school age children. my fiance lives in taipei city and trying to weigh my options out because I am pregnant and trying to figure out where to have my baby. Which is a whole nother story on a different post…

Please give your opinion on both of my posts…[/quote]

Easiest thing you could do is get a TEFL and Associates, but who knows how long that law will be around? They like to repeal laws in an instant. As far as the Montessori thing is concerned, I’m not sure what age you’re thinking, but it’s technically illegal to teach preschool and Kindergarten. If you’re thinking Montessori elementary, there’s WAY too many restrictions placed on the school system here to make it worth while to run a Montessori elementary program. Many have tried - few have succeeded (though they are out there).

my friend actually told me that there are some schools that allow you to teach without any degree, but they are paying you under the table if you know what i mean :wink: i am thinking of moving to taiwan with my fiance after we get married, and there are several after school programs around the area that our house is in… is that possible? i have my nail license and graduated from that program but i think it will be hard to open a business in tw

If you are married to a local you will have full employment rights with your marriage based resident visa.

I have had government contracts given to me for teaching where the requirement was to be a native speaker only ( and in a couple of cases to be a native speaker with ROC nationality… gotta find ways to make your competition ineligible lol ). You do not need any formal qualifications to teach English if you have a marriage based ARC. However it is going to be a hard learning process for you to just step in and start teaching.

So once you have your marriage based ARC you can basically work anywhere that wants to employ you. Only those teachers who need an ARC from the employer need to have formal qualifications.

I’m not sure if I want this girl teaching my children… talk about lack of ethics. I won’t comment on the rest. good luck.

i mean its not like i havent had any college schooling, because i have, and went to school to obtain my nail license, and i have worked with young children in a daycare facility before, so i do know how to interact with young to older schoolage kids…