Teaching in Kaohsiung as an ABC?

Hey guys,

First of all here is a bit about myself.
My parents are Taiwan natives, but I am born in the US., and I have a Taiwan passport as well. I am 24, and I graduated last Fall 2011 with a major in Psychology. I have had 1 internship experience which lasted 3mo., and other retail experience.

My dilemma + Questions:
There are three choices that I’m having a hard time deciding on.

1. Teach kindergardeners english in taiwan for a year, or 2. (Definitely in Kaohsiung because my relatives live there, so it would be pretty convient.)
    1. Go back to school, and pursue a different degree, or try to get into graduate school. (gpa not great)
    1. Get a stable job in anything I can get. (I have no idea which job field is best for me right now.)

I know its extremely hard for ABCs to teach in Taiwan, but I was wondering if schools in Kaohsiung would discriminate as much as the schools in Taipei would? Would I have a hard time finding a teaching job in Kaohsiung? Does anyone know anyone in this position, or has been in this position?
Or should I go back to school for 2 years + work part-time, teach abroad, come back to the states, and then get a stable job, or teach abroad, go back to school + work-part time, and then transition towards a stable job?
If I were to teach abroad; then come back to the states would I have a harder time finding a job compared to a recent graduate?
Would anyone think that I would be starting my life late?

Relevant replies please.

You may want to brush up on your spelling, punctuation and grammar if you want to teach English.

Thanks for letting me know.

Now back to my questions.

The fact that you’re an ABC is likely to be a greater obstacle to landing a job that the fact that you make a few spelling and punctuation mistakes when posting a message on an internet discussion forum. I’m sure your English is way better than anything your Taiwanese students are ever going to be capable of, and I would therefore basically take comments like kaikai34’s with a grain of salt.
(This morning this, from an associate professor teaching English at a large university, landed on my desk “If there is any violation, describe the nature of the even on the chart, for example, cell phone rang, but don’t deduct any grade. Grades should be between 60-100, don’t give any grade below 60, no higher than 100”).

Your parents, perhaps. From my point of view, however, you may be planning to start your career too early.
Seriously, I’d definitely spend a few years abroad first. But I’d also consider other options besides teaching English in Taiwan, which may be OK (as long as you have an exit strategy, as it seems you do), but I can certainly think of more interesting and challenging (not to mention eye-opening) things to do and places to go.
(I drove taxis, labored, travelled to 10 different countries, worked for myself, and yes, even taught English, for years before getting the first real job that I was actually specifically qualified to do – a government job that I would quit after a year (as it was basically a waste of my time.))

As an ABC teaching English in Kaohsiung, it is probably always going to be a struggle to find enough hours unless you’re prepared to be exploited. After two years I think you’re going to be pretty jaded. Why would you want to do that to yourself?

I’m not an ABC myself. Maybe there’s one who can give you a response that paints a more positive picture of teaching English in Kaohsiung that the one I have given. :2cents:

When I hire teachers, it’s based upon their ability to teach. Being an ABC myself, I would never discriminate against anyone based upon their skin color or ethnicity. Spelling mistakes will get your resume tossed and you would never make it to the interview. Best of luck to you.

Another comment that I am inclined to take with a grain of salt.

If, as you say, ability to teach is the key factor, I somehow doubt that you would really bin an application from someone whose resume clearly showed that he/she had classroom management skills as well as knowledge of how to prepare and teach a lesson in accordance with proven methodologies simply because they wrote “kindergarden” on their resume.

I think I’m right in saying that, as far as most employers are concerned, the ability to produce improved test results and get students to like you (not to mention willingness to work for less than $600/hr) are far more important factors affecting your employability than having imperfect spelling or, dare I say, an Asian appearance.

Sorry, it’s just that I take exception to people telling aspiring teachers such as the OP that they’d better improve their English if they want to teach in Taiwan, based on a few insignificant mistakes in their post.

We see it too often on this forum.

Why bother teaching here for a year? It’s just going to either be a year of fucking around with a sticky ball and teaching kids how to jump and sing ABC at the same time, or it will turn into ten years and then you’ll be asking yourself the same question of what you should do next. Either go back home and get serious about your career, or look at doing something permanent in Taiwan, even if that means becoming a male stripper. I bet I sound jaded :slight_smile:.

[quote=“foolsmate”]Hey guys,

First of all here is a bit about myself.
My parents are Taiwan natives, but I am born in the US., and I have a Taiwan passport as well. I am 24, and I graduated last Fall 2011 with a major in Psychology. I have had 1 internship experience which lasted 3mo., and other retail experience.

My dilemma + Questions:
There are three choices that I’m having a hard time deciding on.

1. Teach kindergardeners english in taiwan for a year, or 2. (Definitely in Kaohsiung because my relatives live there, so it would be pretty convient.)
    1. Go back to school, and pursue a different degree, or try to get into graduate school. (gpa not great)
    1. Get a stable job in anything I can get. (I have no idea which job field is best for me right now.)

I know its extremely hard for ABCs to teach in Taiwan, but I was wondering if schools in Kaohsiung would discriminate as much as the schools in Taipei would? Would I have a hard time finding a teaching job in Kaohsiung? Does anyone know anyone in this position, or has been in this position?
Or should I go back to school for 2 years + work part-time, teach abroad, come back to the states, and then get a stable job, or teach abroad, go back to school + work-part time, and then transition towards a stable job?
If I were to teach abroad; then come back to the states would I have a harder time finding a job compared to a recent graduate?
Would anyone think that I would be starting my life late?

Relevant replies please.[/quote]

What school did you graduate from (it’ll be relevant if you answer this Q)?

[quote=“PigBloodCake”]
What school did you graduate from (it’ll be relevant if you answer this Q)?[/quote]

UC Irvine

Well, teaching in Taiwan seemed like a good experience to discover. After spending the last 2 months in Taiwan talking, playing, and teaching my cousin’s kids it made me think that might turn out to be a good thing for me. Also having friends who are currently teaching English in Korea has inspired me to do the same.
I’ve been reading forums where some people have been having a hard time deciding on either to teach or get a job, and a poster said something about do what you want, so that you won’t regret it later. It really made me wonder if I would regret not going in the future. I also read that it would look good on a resume.
What kind of permanent thing can I do in Taiwan without a citizenship? I also heard they mostly hire people who have their masters.
Sorry can’t become a male stripper. I don’t qualify. :slight_smile:

I understand what kaikai34 is saying about my English writing skills, and I am considering of brushing up on it. Would there be a difference between teaching kindergarden kids and teaching at a buxiban? I’ve also read a lot of forums saying that a lot of the English teachers in Taiwan has pretty bad English as well, but they’re still able to become teachers.

Thanks adikarmika for the comments. Would 2 years really be that bad? I’d definitely be brushing up on my Chinese and pick up Taiwanese while I’m there.

You don’t need to brush up on your English to teach English in Taiwan. You just need to turn up, have a positive attitude and make an effort. That’s about it.

Correct. The post about your spelling and grammar is highly patronizing . :raspberry:

Most posters here will give you practical advice. Everyone makes grammar and spelling mistakes, even native speakers. Just ignore the rest.

I would think it would be difficult for you in KHH. Firstly, the job market is not great at the moment. Secondly, most school owners cannot believe someone that looks Chinese, can be a native speaker, and neither do most parents.

I apologize/apologise (for you that do not come from the US), if I have made any grammar or spelling mistakes. May I face eternal hell with Beelzebub and all his hellish minions if I did.

[quote=“foolsmate”][quote=“PigBloodCake”]
What school did you graduate from (it’ll be relevant if you answer this Q)?[/quote]

UC Irvine
[/quote]

Ah, you’re in my territory (I used to live there).

Since you said you’re an ABC, I’m assuming that your pronunciation of the English language can be considered to be North American accent. In this case, you’ll do fine here as an English teacher at a buxiban. Your only issue would be to find a buxiban which doesn’t discriminate against ABCs (you can search this website on this topic).

Don’t take teaching English (especially at a buxiban) seriously or else you’ll end up regretting this decision. Don’t do it just for the money either or you’ll be hating yourself for stooping so low into accepting this type of job just to chase some Kaohsiung skirts or eating your life away if you happened to like 'wan food.

It’ll only look good on your resume if you plan on having an Educational career…or else it’s worthless on your CV.

Are you a true Chinese (i.e. Red one)? If so, never mind…or else you can apply for a citizenship if one or both of your parents have had Taiwan citizenship.

A fat a$$, eh :smiley:

Kindies will drive you crazy…buxiban will also drive you crazy…kindy buxiban and you’re looking at doing 420 or be AA eligible for the rest of your life.

Yes, a French woman was teaching English at my ex-buxiban workplace with heavy French accent…I think she still works there. So you’ll never know what you’ll meet at these places.

[quote]
Thanks adikarmika for the comments. Would 2 years really be that bad? I’d definitely be brushing up on my Chinese and pick up Taiwanese while I’m there.[/quote]

If 2 years is your maximum commitment, I’d say go for it. But keep in mind though that these 2 years of experience might be worth sh*t back in the States.

Good luck.

If you are not sure what you are interested, how are you going to choose for further study? Be brave and get a job, volunteer or paid job, or go traveling, and find out what you are enthusiastic, then you will know what to do next. Good luck!!

Both my parents still have their Taiwan citizenship, and I have a green passport too, but they said that I can only stay there for 3 months max. I don’t know how it goes.
What do you mean by “and you’re looking at doing 420 or be AA eligible for the rest of your life.”?

Also, I forgot to mention that I’m a girl. Will that also hinder me from getting a teaching job in Taiwan?

Well, I know which field I want to go into(Health Care), but haven’t decided on a position. I would think that teaching English in Taiwan would fulfill traveling, job, and finding out what I would like to do as a career. Maybe if I teach in Taiwan, I’ll end up wanting to be a teacher instead. hahahha

Nah, you’re a tw citizen. Just enter with that green passport and you can stay as long as you want although you might need to do household registration if you wanna work (i.e. you need a National ID to work). Furthermore, since you’re a girl, there’s no conscription issue for you.

I guess you don’t Google first and ask questions later, do you? 420=Cannibus. AA=Alcohol Anonymous. However, I’ve heard from a few anecdotes that women tend to do better in kindy buxiban than men.

Nope, not at all.

[quote=“foolsmate”]
My parents are Taiwan natives, but I am born in the US., and I have a Taiwan passport as well.[/quote]

Well duh…totally forgot about this quote from the OP.

Your only issue now which is a bit complicated (since you were born in US) is to do the household registration with 戶政事務所. What you need to do is to ask your parents to see if they still have the 戶籍謄本 which should have your Chinese name on it (or else how the hell did you get your tw passport anyway?).

What 戶籍謄本 contains is a set of names that are registered within a household (usually the head of household, the father, followed by the mother and the dependents). Without it, it’s pretty difficult for the folks working at 戶政事務所 to retrieve the older files containing your parents’ past residential information. Without the residential information, you will not be able to establish residency (i.e. household registration) which will allow them to go ahead and process your National ID containing your registered address, parental info, and marital status with spouse name if married (how’s that for a complete exposure to your personal info…isn’t Taiwan great or what :unamused: ). Finally, get a personal Chinese name seal when you’re here as you might need it for the household reg.

Good luck…and you really need your Chinese skills to apply for this (or get your relatives to help you out).

As an ABC you should expect to get the worst teaching jobs in the market. You will probably get paid closer to the Taiwanese teachers than the native speakers and you’ll be given more menial tasks as well. If you are only here for a year you’ll be lucky to save any money at all considering all of the moving expenses and the costs during your job hunt.

for most employers teaching ESL in Asia will not be a positive on your resume although improving your Chinese could be a benefit.

FWIW - my English is not great since I’m better with numbers but your English doesn’t need to be great to teach ESL unless you’re teaching a lot of year 5-8 (jr high and sr high students) imo.